DSBridge - A simpler way to stream Spotify
ted1001
2009-06-21 21:32:53 UTC
WOW! Impressive.

I just tried it on my Logitech Boombox. And it workes brilliantly!

So easy and... well, have no complaints!
--
ted1001
ted1001's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=20872
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=64590
jofafrazze
2009-06-22 13:20:48 UTC
Thanks chp, works like a charm for me! I'm on Vista 32 bit.
--
jofafrazze
jofafrazze's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=15560
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=64590
Labarum
2009-06-22 13:26:35 UTC
I must try it.

Spotify Premium for a subscription of £10 per month will allow
streaming at 320Kb/s OGG

That could be extremely good.

Will Premium be accessible via SB?

http://www.techradar.com/news/internet/spotify-offering-cd-quality-streaming-609758
--
Labarum

Brian

Squeezebox 3 Classic and Virgin Cable Box
Beresford DAC TC-7510 MK6/4 - Quad 405-2 refurbished by 405man
Quart 980s Speakers
Boom in kitchen.
Labarum's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=19963
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=64590
jeebers
2009-06-22 15:22:01 UTC
Brilliant! Works perfectly and is very easy to set up. This will keep
me very happy until an official plugin is available - thanks!
--
jeebers

www.last.fm/user/gbennett115
jeebers's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=10290
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=64590
dasjoen
2009-06-22 19:11:21 UTC
I thought I'd share the fruits of my labour here... I have written a
small drop-in wrapper utility that will allow you to stream among other
things Spotify (anything that uses the first DirectSound API basically)
as MP3 (with metadata).
This is really cool. Thanks for the hard work!

I don't seem to get any metadata, however. Which metadata is supposed
to be streamed?
--
dasjoen
dasjoen's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=31204
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=64590
chp
2009-06-22 20:28:19 UTC
It streams the title of the main window in the application that it is
wrapping. If it's not working it means that either SqueezeCenter is
doing something differently (I did only test the metadata-support with
Winamp before releasing and don't have access to proper SB hardware
right now), or the primitive HTTP server is not parsing the header
properly.

I'm working on some improvements and I'll put this on the list to be
fixed.
--
chp
chp's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=10157
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=64590
Padde
2009-06-24 06:41:16 UTC
Hello
This is just what i'am looking for. Tried it yeasterday but i cant get
it to work. I think the problem is that my hard drive is E:\ not C:\
Could this bee the problem?

Paul
--
Padde
Padde's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=31239
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=64590
bernt
2009-06-24 07:34:27 UTC
Works very well. Thanks.

Does it trancode the stream to mp3?

Soundquality is not that good but I guess it have to do with that I
never had listen to Spotify on a real system before.
--
bernt

'LastFM' (http://www.last.fm/user/ottovonkopp/)
SB3, SB BOOM - SC 7.3.2 - Ubuntu Server 8.04
bernt's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=1342
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=64590
danco
2009-06-24 08:11:14 UTC
It would be nice if someone could write a similar item for Linux and Mac
OS X.
--
danco
danco's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=210
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=64590
Veggen
2009-06-24 09:46:34 UTC
Working great, thanks.

Is there a way of controlling the bitrate used by lame?
Now it is transcoding to 160 kbps mp3 from 160 kbps ogg, which means it
is loosing resolution as ogg is more efficient than mp3. If possible I
would like to have maximum mp3 rate to minimize the quality impact.
--
Veggen
Veggen's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=7035
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=64590
baz
2009-06-24 10:04:28 UTC
Thank you very much! Everyting working except metadata (I'm using
SqueezeCenter 7.3.2).
--
baz
baz's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=2194
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=64590
chp
2009-06-24 11:32:16 UTC
Quick reply to questions:

I am extracting the path to the windows installation, so it "should"
work, but maybe loading it with a absolute path is not working well on
non-standard environments; I'll look into improving the logic.

Yes, I'm working on making most aspects configurable, so you will be
able to alter the bitrate of the stream itself; 160kbps was chosen as a
middlepoint between performance and sound quality. I'll probably up the
default quality to 192kbps as well for the next release.
Padde
2009-06-24 15:31:25 UTC
Hello again
Here is what happens. I have placed the two dll's in E:\Program
Files\Spotify
Everything is ok when i start Spotify. But when i start to play a track
Spotify complains that "There is a problem with you sound card" and
nothing happens. The symbol in sys tray is red and if i hover the mouse
over it says
"D:Could not load C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DSOUND.DLL" If i removes the two
dll's in E:\Program Files\Spotify and restarts Spotify it works again
with the speakers connected to my PC.

Thanks in advance
NikolajC
2009-06-24 15:42:16 UTC
Works here without a glitch. Very interesting work indeed thanks.
--
NikolajC
NikolajC's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=18676
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=64590
baz
2009-06-24 17:12:31 UTC
Nope, can't get the metadata to work. Streamed to VLC and the music
works as expected but no metadata can be found.

I am using Vista 32-bit version.

Any ideas?
baz
2009-06-25 22:33:50 UTC
Thanks for the new version with higher quality (192kbps).

I installed the new SW on a computer with Win XP but I still got the
problem with the metadata.
Padde
2009-06-26 05:03:27 UTC
Super, many thanks.
bernt
2009-06-26 06:00:00 UTC
Sounds better now. Thanks.
--
bernt

'LastFM' (http://www.last.fm/user/ottovonkopp/)
SB3, SB BOOM - SC 7.3.3 - Ubuntu Server 8.04
Padde
2009-06-26 19:30:25 UTC
now i'am happy it works, thanks
Great work!
Veggen
2009-06-29 20:56:02 UTC
New version working fine, thanks again.

If you have the time, please consider including flac lossless encoding
as an option in a future version. As the music has already been lossy
compressed once, a second time should be avoided imho.
Ramage
2009-06-30 08:08:54 UTC
Tested using Winamp on host computer and played OK with metadata.

When connected to squeezecenter from another network PC although I get
good audio on a Duet receiver, there is no metadata.

Great application.
--
Ramage

P2 266MHz, ubuntu server 9.04 SC 7.4~26732
AMD64x2 ubuntu 9.04, SC 7.4~26954
Players: Classic, Duet, Boom, Controller
Ramage's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=5343
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=64590
chp
2009-07-02 13:18:13 UTC
New release time!

http://dsbridge.googlecode.com/files/dsbridge-20090702-bin.zip

Changes:

20090702:

- Improved how the metadata directive is parsed in the HTTP header
- Fixed race condition when HttpServer read encoded MP3 data

This should fix the metadata for SqueezeCenter, and also fixes an audio
distortion / crash issue that I have been seeing from time to time.
Ramage
2009-07-02 13:39:15 UTC
Post by chp
New release time!
http://dsbridge.googlecode.com/files/dsbridge-20090702-bin.zip
- Improved how the metadata directive is parsed in the HTTP header
- Fixed race condition when HttpServer read encoded MP3 data
This should fix the metadata for SqueezeCenter, and also fixes an audio
distortion / crash issue that I have been seeing from time to time.
Yeah, tried update and I now get metadata thro' squeezecenter.

Great work.

Cover art would be awesome tho'.
--
Ramage

P2 266MHz, ubuntu server 9.04 SC 7.4~26732
AMD64x2 ubuntu 9.04, SC 7.3.4~27349
chp
2009-07-02 15:11:56 UTC
First I wasn't sure how to do artwork, but after looking in the
SqueezeCenter source code I found that it actually supports passing a
StreamUrl directive to display artwork in the metadata stream, so it's
now on my todo list. :)

Basically what I'll do is let you configure a "window capture" and then
it'll do periodic snapshots and display whatever is in that area.
baz
2009-07-04 08:12:27 UTC
Thanks for the new revision. Now the metadata works like a charm!

Great work chp! I really appreciate your nice work!
Ramage
2009-07-04 08:32:49 UTC
Post by chp
First I wasn't sure how to do artwork, but after looking in the
SqueezeCenter source code I found that it actually supports passing a
StreamUrl directive to display artwork in the metadata stream, so it's
now on my todo list. :)
Basically what I'll do is let you configure a "window capture" and then
it'll do periodic snapshots and display whatever is in that area.
Look forward to seeing this.

Great work

baz
2009-07-04 10:12:06 UTC
One improvment idea is to continue the work with the metadata. As it
looks today each played song is registered twice at Last.fm (if you are
using that service).

Example: Both
Peter Tosh – Legalize It
and
Spotify – Peter Tosh – Legalize It
are registered as two separate songs.

Perhaps the "Spotify"-text in the metadata can be parsed out?
chp
2009-07-04 15:17:26 UTC
New release time!

http://dsbridge.googlecode.com/files/dsbridge-20090704-bin.zip

Changes:

- Metadata is now only sent when changed
- Improved error messages returned by HTTP server
- Added experimental support for streaming cover art
- Improved HTTP header parsing

Cover streaming seems to work, but sometimes (if you have scaled the
window for example) the cover might end distorted with other window
content.

*Baz*, yes, allowing you to strip content out of the window title is
something that is in the plans. I'll add some good defaults when adding
the configuration interface (which is up next).
baz
2009-07-04 15:32:40 UTC
Once again, thanks for the new release.

I just wanted to give some positive feedback on the cover art function
-- it works excellent for me.
Veggen
2009-07-04 18:59:54 UTC
Cover art not working for me, only getting a black square.
Rest of the metadata is OK.
Spotify 0.3.17(rev.49173), SC 7.3.3, XP, both IE and opera is the same.
chp
2009-07-04 22:55:24 UTC
Do you minimize Spotify before checking the cover? I noticed that the
call I make actually cannot take snapshots of minimized windows. I have
a fix coming, but it'll be a lower priority.

The workaround for now is just not minimize the window (it can be
completely covered by other windows, just not minimized or in the
systray).
Ramage
2009-07-05 08:16:16 UTC
I'm running spotify under Wine on Ubuntu 9.04, but cannot get DSBridge
to work.

I've put the DSBridge .dll and lame_enc.dll in the spotify directory
but cannot connect to the stream using SC. I've tried localhost and the
PC ip address.

Any ideas on how to get DSBridge to work in wine?
--
Ramage

P2 266MHz, ubuntu server 9.04 SC 7.4~26732
AMD64x2 ubuntu 9.04, SC 7.3.4~27392
Veggen
2009-07-05 09:04:51 UTC
Post by chp
Do you minimize Spotify before checking the cover?
No, the spotify window is fully open.
Christian Fredrik
2009-07-05 09:06:05 UTC
I'm not an expert, but it seems to me that this streaming alternative
utilises the PC soundcards DA-converter. Therefore, the digital output
from SB will probably have severly reduced quality. Am I right?
--
Christian Fredrik
Christian Fredrik's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=31464
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=64590
chp
2009-07-05 14:17:05 UTC
New release to fix some issues with minimized and hidden windows:

http://dsbridge.googlecode.com/files/dsbridge-20090705-bin.zip

Changes:

- Cover is no longer incorrectly offset if the window is not maximized
- Added some workarounds that will allow the cover to be extracted even
if the window is minimized or hidden (or both)

*Ramage*, I do not have any desktop linux-installations running
currently, but I can install one and take a look at why it is not
working.

*Veggen*, then I'm not sure why you are seeing that result (I see no
issues in either XP or W7). I have done some tweaks to the capturing
code in this new release, so you could try it and see if it helps.

*Christian Fredrik*, luckily you are mistaken :). My solution is pure
software and does not degrade the audio stream other than the
transcoding to MP3 - when I get FLAC encoding implemented (yes, it's
coming...) there will be no difference at all.
Martin43
2009-07-05 15:16:27 UTC
This works great! :)
It seems like magic to me that just copying some files to the
Spotify-folder makes it work. :) I'm using it with a Squeezebox v3.

I would like to be able to select the encoding bitrate. Since I'm using
it at home on my LAN I would like to use 320kbit/s. It is easiliy
possible to hear the transcoding when using 192kbit/s.

Maybe a simple configuration text-file? There's no need for any fancy
GUI-features right now.
--
Martin43
Martin43's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=22082
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=64590
Veggen
2009-07-05 15:28:05 UTC
Cover art now working, thanks!

Still some scaling/offset problems if using non standard size cover art
in spotify, but this nitpicking, I am happy.

Glad to hear flac support is coming so that transcoding issues will be
avoided.

Great work!
Peter314
2009-07-05 16:27:01 UTC
I just tried this: it works brilliantly and is much easier than earlier
workarounds. Metadata and cover art are all displaying nicely.

Many thanks!

Peter
--
Peter314
Peter314's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=14028
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=64590
pddf1
2009-07-05 17:25:32 UTC
This works great. You da man

keep up the good work
--
pddf1
pddf1's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=29903
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=64590
chp
2009-07-05 17:49:36 UTC
New release (second one today):

http://dsbridge.googlecode.com/files/dsbridge-20090705_2-bin.zip

Changes:

- Added configuration file support
- Added title prefix stripping

*Martin43*, you read my mind :). I have tested 320kbps by tweaking the
configuration file and it works great. I am however leaving it at
192kbps per default, but it's an easy change.

*baz*, title prefix stripping has been added.

Remember to copy the configuration file alongside the DLL now!
Otherwise among other things cover art support will be disabled, since I
now default it to off.
baz
2009-07-05 17:57:28 UTC
Thanks again *cph*! The title prefix stripping is working great (thanks
for adding that feature!!).

*The DSBridge is the best piece of SW I have seen for a long time!!!*
pddf1
2009-07-05 18:25:05 UTC
Hi,

i've run into a problem with zone alarm security suite (ZA). When ZA is
disabled DSBridge works fine with Spotify, but when running, the
connection with squeeze center times out, and the system tray icon shows
idle (blue).

I have given SC and Spotify full program permission in the program
control panel.

i have also followed the logitech advice on 'configuring ZoneAlarm
Internet Security 2008 so Squeezebox can connect to PC':

http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/logitech_en_amr.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=8565&p_created=1213807954

Any help much appreciated as DSBridge plus spotify is fantastic!

Thanks
Veggen
2009-07-05 19:12:43 UTC
I have tested 320kbps by tweaking the configuration file and it works
great. I am however leaving it at 192kbps per default, but it's an easy
change.
Can I suggest using 320 as default?
Surely anyone running a SB setup has network capacity easily capable of
that.
Is there any reason why 192 would be a better choice?

Of course looking forward to having flac as an option eventually.
Martin43
2009-07-05 19:20:18 UTC
Post by Veggen
Can I suggest using 320 as default?
Surely anyone running a SB setup has network capacity easily capable of
that.
Is there any reason why 192 would be a better choice?
Of course looking forward to having flac as an option eventually.
As long as everyone can choose which bitrate to use, the default
doesn't matter much.
Martin43
2009-07-05 20:22:21 UTC
Having used DSBridge now for a couple of hours I can conclude that it
works great!

Some observations:
My Squeezebox shows two values for the streaming buffer. The first
value seems to be how many seconds that the Squeezebox has buffered
itself, and the second value seems to be the size of the buffer in
DSBridge.

When I change track or skip within a track the second value increases
by about 1,8 seconds until it is up to 10 seconds in total. The first
value very slowly increases to (to infinity?). If I pause Spotify the
first value goes to zero (in real time), then the second value decreases
to zero. If I hit play before it reaches zero the sound continous as if
nothing happened, but the buffer levels are now lower than before.

The audio delay seems to be the sum of both values. After a long time
the values can be 20/10 seconds. If I change track then, it takes 30
seconds before I hear the change (unless I pause playback for 28 seconds
first, then the delay is down to two seconds).

Would it be possible to include a setting for buffersize in the
.ini-file?
And why does it "jump" 1,8 seconds when I change track? Some "initial
buffering" when Spotify starts to send data?

If the buffer size can't be reduced, maybe DSBridge can pause Spotify
automatically every now and then to lower the buffer levels. This could
be done by simulating the keyboard key "APPCOMMAND_MEDIA_PLAY_PAUSE".
This works also when Spotify is minimized or not in focus.

I'm using 320kbit/s now and the sound is quite enjoyable!
chp
2009-07-05 20:55:16 UTC
*Martin43*, yes, I am aware of the building delay that occurs during
use, it's one of the top issues to fix right now. The two values you
describe sound useful, where can I find them in SC?

For the cause, there might be data written that is not actually played
in the source client, thus offsetting the stream. By more closely
monitoring API calls I have a hunch that it can be solved.
Martin43
2009-07-05 21:08:16 UTC
I'm using a plugin called "Music Information Screen" which replaces the
default screensaver with a screen where you can customize everything
that is shown on the display.
Under Squeezeserver-Settings-User Interface I have defined a format
"PLAYLIST (X_Y) KBPS EXT BUFFER".
Under Squeezeserver-Settings-"My playername"-Music Information Screen I
then select this format string to appear in the top left on the
Squeezescreen.

When I listen to my own music it shows file format, bitrate and buffer
in %.
When streaming it shows buffer in seconds x / y seconds as described
above.

|Filename: MusicInformationScreen.jpg |
|Download: http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7750|
stefanolo
2009-07-06 20:59:13 UTC
Post by Martin43
I'm using a plugin called "Music Information Screen" which replaces the
default screensaver with a screen where you can customize everything
that is shown on the display.
Under Squeezeserver-Settings-User Interface I have defined a format
"PLAYLIST (X_Y) KBPS EXT BUFFER".
Under Squeezeserver-Settings-"My playername"-Music Information Screen I
then select this format string to appear in the top left on the
Squeezescreen.
When I listen to my own music it shows file format, bitrate and buffer
in %.
When streaming it shows buffer in seconds x / y seconds as described
above.
@ Martin43!

Really like the info on your SB-screen. Where did you get the plugin? I
like it and would like to have it.

@chp

Thank you very much for your work. A wonderful little tool you have
created. A question: Where do I set the bitrate? Is it in the Spotify
preferences? I would like to have the highest possible/320 bps.

/s
--
stefanolo
stefanolo's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=31496
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=64590
Ramage
2009-07-06 08:42:53 UTC
Post by chp
*Ramage*, I do not have any desktop linux-installations running
currently, but I can install one and take a look at why it is not
working.
Thanks - no rush tho'

Ramage

coppo23
2009-07-06 09:10:53 UTC
Hi - this is brilliant - thanks! I have tried it with multiple clients -
eg winamp on a pc and transporter. One works - the other locks up. This
isn't my main intended use - but syncing is.

If I try syncing all players - it mostly works - but you get gaps -
occasionally 5-10 seconds long. Is that a known issue? - anything I can
tweak to inprove it?

(I am using 320k - the network is all wired and all players (except
SB1) perform network test flawlessly at the highest bit rate.)

(whs - transporter, duet x2, temporarily disconnected SB1)
--
coppo23
coppo23's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=17339
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=64590
vasik
2009-07-06 12:58:51 UTC
Thanks, works like a charm!!! Have one question - how can I point the
Duet to the IP from controller? I'm able to point it to the IP adress
from PC, but didn't find a possiblity to point it there from
controller... Thanks
--
vasik
vasik's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=21285
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=64590
coppo23
2009-07-06 14:10:15 UTC
I just added a favourite with url http://192.168.0.30:8124/ Just
substitute your spotify PC address.

Cheers

Coppo
vasik
2009-07-06 15:22:40 UTC
That's the trick...:-) Thanks!
stumble
2009-07-06 21:00:20 UTC
Hi,

I have followed the instructions without success. The systray icon is
always blue.

I obtained my IP address from my ISP and entered it as instructed.

On the squeezecentre the timer plays for a few seconds and then goes
back to 00. On the controller it says "Connect Timed Out"

Can anyone help with this final section

Thanks

stumble
stumble's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=31501
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=64590
chp
2009-07-06 21:25:26 UTC
*coppo23*, no, currently only one client is supported, and due to the
way the HTTP server currently schedules traffic (= it doesn't) the first
client will starve all others. I also have not tested syncing players.

*stefanolo*, edit dsbridge.ini and change MP3BitRate from 192 to 320.

*stumble*, your ISP ip is probably not the one you need (if you are
using a router you will have a private IP that is correct). Run 'cmd',
and then 'ipconfig' in the window that appears. The IPv4 listed for your
primary connection should be the one you use when constructing the URL.
stefanolo
2009-07-06 21:51:43 UTC
@ chp: Thanks! You see, I'm an absolute idiot when it comes to
"programming". Is there anywhere els I can see what the bitrate is when
I'm playing? Squeezecentre?

/s
stumble
2009-07-06 23:19:43 UTC
Thanks CP - I worked it out (the hard way) but delighted with the
result.

Laz
2009-07-07 11:10:30 UTC
I thought I'd share the fruits of my labour here... I have written a
small drop-in wrapper utility that will allow you to stream among other
things Spotify (anything that uses the first DirectSound API basically)
as MP3 (with metadata).
chp,

I suspect this is dumb question, but should it be possible for me to
use this as a wrapper for iTunes? (Not as silly as it sounds - I want to
stream audio from iTunes movies to another location - I use the SB
normally when I'm listening to my own library).

Anyway, I have done the obvious and dropped the dsbridge and the lame
dlls in the directory. The red error icon comes up briefly and then
disappears altogether when iTunes comes up.

Could you let me know if:

a) What I'm trying to do should be feasible?
b) Any suggestions as to changes I could make to get the system
working?

Cheers,

Laz
--
Laz
Laz's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=427
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=64590
Gurkburk
2009-07-07 14:39:48 UTC
Thanks chp, this looks really promising, but I can't get the Squeezebox
to play the music from my Spotify computer, it only says buffering.

I have put the files in the spotify dir, restarted spotify, add a new
favorite in Squeezecenter http://192.168.0.183:8124/ which is my
computer ip that runs spotify. The little green DSBridge icon in systray
are green.

Tried to disable Windows firewall but no success.
I'm running Win7 RC1 on my computer and Squeezecenter on Windows Home
Server.
--
Gurkburk
Gurkburk's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=12064