[ANNOUNCE] Music-Playback now on ANDROID! SqueezePlayer released to the market ...
bluegaspode
2011-04-28 21:04:09 UTC
Turn you mobile into a Squeezebox with SqueezePlayer!

The very first week for only 0,99€ as a special early adopter price.

Do you want to stream all your Logitech Squeezebox content directly to
your phone and make it really free? Then SqueezePlayer is your perfect
match!

SqueezePlayer is able to stream your local music, internet radio
stations or songs from Apps like Last.FM, Deezer or WiMP directly to
your mobile. (Rhapsody and Pandora NOT working right now, due to
licensing issues, Spotify only works with the help of triodes plugin
installed in a Squeezebox-Server, Napster only works with Windows-based
server).

SqueezePlayer is just a playback App - you won't be able to control
your Squeezebox (nor itself) with it. But there are enough Apps out
there being a perfect fit: SqueezeCommander (recommended) or free
alternatives like the official Logitech App, SqueezeControl or
SqueezeDroid.

>From the main screen of SqueezePlayer you can jump directly to any of
these App, where you mobile will be among all other players as long as
SqueezePlayer is activated.

Right now the following music formats are supported directly:
MP3, WAV, PCM

Your SqueezeboxServer will be able to convert other file types (FLAC,
Ogg, mp4) to PCM on the fly, so these will play as well. (You can check
the settings screen of your Squeezebox Server under Advanced->File Types
what other file types will be transcoded to PCM).

Native FLAC support will follow in the next version by the way :)

If anything is not working, don't hesitate to contact me under
support(at)squeezeplayer.com

Some notes for the pros: for playback to be working via 3G you will
need to open/forward port 9000 and 3483 on your router (as well as
setting up a DynDNS service). There will be a manual how to set it up
soon!

Tested so far on: HTC Wildfire, Legend, Magic, Google MyTouch, Sony
XPERIA Mini,
I'm really interesting in your experience on any other device of
course!

--
bluegaspode

Big Screen for great Boxes available now at your AppStore: *'Squeezebox
+ iPad = SqueezePad ' (www.squeezepad.com)* - -now featuring streaming
to iPad!-
Want to see a Weather Forecast on your Radio/Touch/Controller ? => why
not try my 'Weather Forecast Applet'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=73827)
Want to use the Headphones with your Controller ? => why not try my
'Headphone Switcher Applet'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=67139)

Setup: 1x SB-Controller+Receiver (Duet), 1xSB-Boom. 2xSB-Radio
Server (7.5.x) running on SheevaPlug (Ubuntu) with attached Western
Digital MyBook Essential.
bluegaspode's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=31651
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=87364
ganjastone
2011-04-28 21:16:45 UTC
This is awesome!!!!

Turned my Squidget to a walkman!
I waited for something similar so long.
Well done!

Thanks,

Avi

Minor issue: It FC when I tried to switch servers right after install.
then worked perfectly. I reported a crash (sent an error report).

--
ganjastone

Squidget - Android SqueezeBox Widget
http://mysquidget.blogspot.com
ganjastone's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=3122
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=87364
bluegaspode
2011-04-28 21:43:34 UTC
Hi Avi,

thanks for your feeback. Never thought about a widget yet, but good
idea - will need to read into it first, but will be easy I guess, as
the playback is a service anyway.
Also will think again about the looks - found it important to finally
release something to the Android world first - and guess that people
won't use my UI much (except for debugging purposes if needed).

Your crash report arrived - it's a rare race condition on disconnects:
will fix it on the weekend (so much for testing for days with several
people - still bugs will creep through).

ganjastone
2011-04-28 21:45:45 UTC
bluegaspode;628187 Wrote:
> Hi Avi,
>
> thanks for your feeback. Never thought about a widget yet, but good
> idea - will need to read into it first, but will be easy I guess, as
> the playback is a service anyway.

Will be glad to assist. Got some experience with those nasty widgets :)

flattermann
2011-04-28 22:00:36 UTC
bluegaspode;628180 Wrote:
> Turn you mobile into a Squeezebox with SqueezePlayer!

Very nice.

Is it possible to deactivate the service later?
Because it seems that the service keeps running, even if I stop the
playback (in SqueezeCommander or your UI).
I.e. the player never disappears from the server.

--
flattermann

Christian

Home of 'SqueezeCommander' (http://www.squeezecommander.com) - The
SqueezeBox Remote Control App for Android
flattermann's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=33169
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=87364
bluegaspode
2011-04-28 22:03:14 UTC
flattermann;628189 Wrote:
> Very nice.
>
> Is it possible to deactivate the service later?
> Because it seems that the service keeps running, even if I stop the
> playback (in SqueezeCommander or your UI).
> I.e. the player never disappears from the server.

As long as you can see the 'play' symbol in the notification bar, the
service is running.
You can either manually deactivate it - or it will shutdown after 15
minutes automatically (after the last song stopped) - and of course
only when you don't look at the mainscreen of the App.

flattermann
2011-04-28 22:16:17 UTC
bluegaspode;628190 Wrote:
> As long as you can see the 'play' symbol in the notification bar, the
> service is running.
> You can either manually deactivate it - or it will shutdown after 15
> minutes automatically (after the last song stopped) - and of course
> only when you don't look at the mainscreen of the App.

That did not work here on my first try.

The 'play' symbol was removed, but the service was still running.

I've now forced a stop of the service and now it seems to work as
expected.

bluegaspode
2011-04-28 22:32:32 UTC
flattermann;628191 Wrote:
> That did not work here on my first try.
> The 'play' symbol was removed, but the service was still running.

I do send the 'BYE' command to the server that should remove the player
from the list.
But I'm not sure, if there are any lags in the server.
You might watch the App with DDMS if you are interested - when the
service is shut down correctly on my side, you won't see a
'PlaybackThread' and 'SlimProtoThread'.

pippin
2011-04-28 23:00:18 UTC
Cool.

Apart from the fact that it took ages to purchase it, not your fault,
but I can now understand why selling stuff on the Android Market is so
much more difficult than on iOS.

But it works quite well from what I can see so far, even on my crappy
Xperia Mini (which for some reason your App calls "U20i", is that the
"technical" name?).

You've done it again! Congrats!

--
pippin

---
see iPeng, the Squeezebox iPhone remote and
*New: iPeng for iPad*, at penguinlovesmusic.com
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=87364
flattermann
2011-04-28 23:11:32 UTC
bluegaspode;628192 Wrote:
> I do send the 'BYE' command to the server that should remove the player
> from the list.
> But I'm not sure, if there are any lags in the server.
> You might watch the App with DDMS if you are interested and you see
> again that the player is still available in SqueezeCommander - when the
> service is shut down correctly on my side, you won't see a
> 'PlaybackThread' and 'SlimProtoThread'.

I'll do it when this happens again.

But I'm pretty sure that your Thread was still running, because I could
still start/stop the playback in SqueezeCommander. :-)
(Although no 'play' symbol was shown in the notification area.)

And after starting your App again and selecting another server, I could
see two SqueezePlayers in SqueezeCommander. :-)

pippin
2011-04-29 00:09:49 UTC
Is FLAC supposed to work?
I'm only getting white noise when trying that.

--
pippin

---
see iPeng, the Squeezebox iPhone remote and
*New: iPeng for iPad*, at penguinlovesmusic.com
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=87364
Henry66
2011-04-29 00:40:32 UTC
When I first tried it I got no sound at all from FLAC files. Then I
tried an MP3 which worked fine. After that, all FLAC and MP3 files now
work fine.

However, only 16-bit files (44.1 and 48 kHz) seem to work. Playback
aborts with 24-bit files.

--
Henry66
Henry66's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=38863
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=87364
idlewild
2011-04-29 00:47:50 UTC
Playing FLAC downconverted to 64k on HTC Incredible / Verizon over 3G.

Way Cool!!

--
idlewild
idlewild's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=3903
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=87364
mrfantasy
2011-04-29 01:04:48 UTC
Haven't tested extensively, but it seems to be working fine. Looking
forward to testing remote playback. I have a Motorola Droid (original,
but with CyanogenMod 7.0.1, so Android 2.3.3) and a Xoom (Android 3.0)
and will work with both.

--
mrfantasy

--Mike
http://last.fm/user/mrfantasy
mrfantasy's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=1127
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=87364
vs27
2011-05-06 17:05:43 UTC
Can you add it to SlideME market?

--
vs27
vs27's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=41655
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=87364
bluegaspode
2011-04-29 01:55:34 UTC
> Is FLAC supposed to work?
> I'm only getting white noise when trying that.
For those trying Flac and have problems: what bitrate/samplerate is
your FLACs?
My Flacs work fine, but I only have same default 44/16.
96/24 won't work yet, as the server does not downsample with PCM.
Real FLAC support coming soon, whoever wants to Beta test, drop a note
to support(at)squeezeplayer.com.

idlewild
2011-04-29 02:12:00 UTC
Pandora Error: "You must be a subscriber to use Pandora from this
device."

Michael Herger
2011-04-29 04:48:14 UTC
Cool! I'm seeing the same flac playback issue pippin mentioned. mp3 is playing perfectly fine.

I've seen several issues with shoutcast streams too: Radio Paradise wouldn't play at all. Some (eg. cool93 Fahrenheit) would kill it after playing playing some Mickey Mouse vocals :-). And some work perfectly fine (eg. idobi radio).

One more thing I observed while using our Controller app: when controlling SqueezePlayer I would get the volume popup when using the volume buttons, which usually doesn't happen in our app. Is your app pushing it to the screen, or is this Android handling it? I'm also wondering as you might need to somehow intercept the volume handler, as it needs to report back to the server too.
bluegaspode
2011-04-29 04:50:16 UTC
idlewild;628209 Wrote:
> Pandora Error: "You must be a subscriber to use Pandora from this
> device."
As of the App description Pandora does not work due to licensing
issues.

Michael Herger
2011-04-29 04:55:55 UTC
Oh, switching from Direct Streaming to proxied streaming made Radio Paradise available.

You could enable this feature automatically on the server by setting the player pref when connecting ([ 'playerpref', 'mp3StreamingMethod', '1' ]).

Michael

Michael
bluegaspode
2011-04-29 04:54:51 UTC
mherger;628218 Wrote:

> One more thing I observed while using our Controller app: when
> controlling SqueezePlayer I would get the volume popup when using the
> volume buttons, which usually doesn't happen in our app. Is your app
> pushing it to the screen, or is this Android handling it? I'm also
> wondering as you might need to somehow intercept the volume handler, as
> it needs to report back to the server too.

Android pops up the volume indicator when you change the volume.
The App also intercepts the current volume to send it to the server.
Can you send me one of the trouble FLAC to my gmail Account?

Michael Herger
2011-04-29 05:13:35 UTC
Sent a link to your address. Smallest file I could find was 35MB.

FWIW: if I enable bitrate limiting, then it works fine. That's a little surprising to me, as it should trigger the same actions as transcoding (as only mp3 is supported).

Michael

Michael
verypsb
2011-04-29 05:24:25 UTC
mherger;628223 Wrote:
> FWIW: if I enable bitrate limiting, then it works fine. That's a little
> surprising to me, as it should trigger the same actions as transcoding
> (as only mp3 is supported).

Maybe related?
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=87343

--
verypsb

1x Boom, 1x Classic, 1x Duet, 1x Receiver, 1x Touch
Please vote for bug 16791
(http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=16791)
verypsb's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=17295
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=87364
bluegaspode
2011-04-29 06:05:37 UTC
Hi Michael,
got your FLAC file can reproduce the issues and will look into it
tonight. Seems I cannot handle 24bit files yet (there is code to
transcode it to 16bit - the only supported sample size on Android)

Also can reproduce the issues with the mentioned radio stations
(interesting, as they are all mp3) and hope they are easy to fix as
well. As one is giving a good crash report this should be easy to fix
as well.

Michael Herger
2011-04-29 06:30:26 UTC
> got your FLAC file can reproduce the issues and will look into it
> tonight. Seems I cannot handle 24bit files yet (there is code to
> transcode it to 16bit - the only supported sample size on Android)

Oh, are you transcoding in the app, not on the server side? Wouldn't it be
easier to let the server handle this?

> Also can reproduce the issues with the mentioned radio stations
> (interesting, as they are all mp3) and hope they are easy to fix as
> well. As one is giving a good crash report this should be easy to fix
> as well.

Great, I'll give more information next time it crashes.

Michael
bluegaspode
2011-04-29 07:41:44 UTC
mherger;628231 Wrote:

> Oh, are you transcoding in the app, not on the server side? Wouldn't it
> be
> easier to let the server handle this?

Just conversion of samplesize/channels to 16bit/stereo

Mark Miksis
2011-04-29 13:37:23 UTC
Nice work! I like the integration that provides a button for
Squeezecommander or the Logitech controller.

--
Mark Miksis
Mark Miksis's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=529
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=87364
rpress
2011-04-29 14:38:23 UTC
Great job! I get a crash as well when playing Radio Paradise. The
proxy streaming fixed it.

I can't connect over the internet though. Squeezecommander works fine
this way. Do I need to forward more ports?

--
rpress

rpress's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=31544
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=87364
bluegaspode
2011-04-29 15:49:57 UTC
rpress;628266 Wrote:
> Do I need to forward more ports?
9000 and 3484

You are one of those, that don't read announcements or App Store
descriptions to the end, shame on you :D (but I'm happy to help anyway
;) )

T-bird
2011-04-29 16:33:41 UTC
Working fine on my HTC Desire HD
thx

One thing I noticed

The play button is off
connection says disconnected
Playback says stopped
No icon on top bar

And I still listening to music, controlled by the server web UI

--
T-bird

Sorry for my poor english

1 x Touch
1 x Radio
SBS 7.5.3 running on QNAP 219p
T-bird's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=38434
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=87364
pippin
2011-04-29 16:29:16 UTC
3483

--
pippin

---
see iPeng, the Squeezebox iPhone remote and
*New: iPeng for iPad*, at penguinlovesmusic.com
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=87364
bluegaspode
2011-04-29 16:34:13 UTC
pippin;628274 Wrote:
> 3483

thanks corrected.
For some reason my fingers always type 3484 when they want to type
3483.
Why didn't they use 9001, 6666 or 11111?

pippin
2011-04-29 17:41:25 UTC
I think this
http://penguinlovesmusic.de/2011/02/11/coolios-guide-to-remote-playback/
will more or less apply here, too.
If your fingers can't type 3483, how about 0xd9b, at least one less
digit to get wrong.

--
pippin

---
see iPeng, the Squeezebox iPhone remote and
*New: iPeng for iPad*, at penguinlovesmusic.com
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=87364
T-bird
2011-04-29 18:02:13 UTC
Something is very wrong

When I start the app it connects to the server and start playing, no
controller app is running on phone, the web ui says player is off and
no progressbar running.
The music stops when comming to first songs end and my poor little QNAP
server run a perl process at 100% cpu, set the play button in app to off
make the server run normal again

--
T-bird

Sorry for my poor english

1 x Touch
1 x Radio
SBS 7.5.4 running on QNAP 219p
bluegaspode
2011-04-29 19:06:11 UTC
T-bird;628289 Wrote:
> Something is very wrong
>
> When I start the app it connects to the server and start playing, no
> controller app is running on phone, the web ui says player is off and
> no progressbar running.
> The music stops when comming to first songs end and my poor little QNAP
> server run a perl process at 100% cpu, set the play button in app to off
> make the server run normal again

Hi T-Bird,
are you trying to stream FLAC or mp3?
How many Mhz of CPU is your QNAP having and how fast is your WebUI
typically when using it?

Don't care for the On/Off button of the Web-UI, SqueezePlayer is always
'On'.
Would you mind trying out the free Logitech App for remote controlling?
As far as I know it uses less CPU power on your QNAP than the WebUI -
maybe you see better status updates there?

T-bird
2011-04-29 19:44:22 UTC
bluegaspode;628299 Wrote:
> Hi T-Bird,
> are you trying to stream FLAC or mp3?
> How many Mhz of CPU is your QNAP having and how fast is your WebUI
> typically when using it?
>
> Don't care for the On/Off button of the Web-UI, SqueezePlayer is always
> 'On'.
> Would you mind trying out the free Logitech App for remote controlling?
> As far as I know it uses less CPU power on your QNAP than the WebUI -
> maybe you see better status updates there?
Hi
when working properly i can stream both mp3 and flac to my Touch and
phone at the same time and cpu is only 5-10%.
It was then it start that "ghost" playing things went wrong, I was
unable to control it nor by app or web ui

--
T-bird

Sorry for my poor english

1 x Touch
1 x Radio
SBS 7.5.4 running on QNAP 219p
bluegaspode
2011-04-29 20:42:29 UTC
T-bird;628309 Wrote:
> Hi
> when working properly i can stream both mp3 and flac to my Touch and
> phone at the same time and cpu is only 5-10%.
> It was then it start that "ghost" playing things went wrong, I was
> unable to control it nor by app or web ui
>
> Edit: I am scrobbling both player to Last.fm at the same time if that
> has anything to do with it

Mhmm, sounds really strange and hard to track.
I'd suggest restarting your server and the App as a start (on Android:
Settings->Applications). Then see if it happens again. Maybe just a bad
coincidence?

If the App is not responding then please wait a while until the window
that allows you to force quit it appears. I should get a report later
about this type of crash via Google and can analyze it.
If it happens again please contact me at support(at)squeezeplayer.com.
I'll be providing you with an App with activated logging then, so you
might get a better clue of what is happening on your mobile.

bluegaspode
2011-04-29 23:00:31 UTC
Hi folks,

just uploaded an update (v1.0.1), fixing the most common bugs from the
first 26 hours of operation:

- no crash on mono mp3 anymore
- no crash when MAC address cannot be resolved on first start (due to
turned off WiFi)
- no crash when one deletes the port number in the manual server
settings
- no crash when one enters invalid characters (spaces,umlauts) as the
manual server address

Thanks for sending over the crash reports!

Started to work on 24bit FLAC, but am too tired to finish tonight.
More progress on that at the end of the weekend.

arris
2011-04-30 05:06:53 UTC
Amazing, simply amazing! It took four tries until Google would allow me
to buy your app, but boy, best $1.50 I've spent in a while. Samsung
Vibrant and Nook Color both showing up as independent players in SBS
just like any hardware player. Controlled from SqueezeCommander and
Squidget on the same device. Even Pandora works flawless so far (I know
it's not supposed to, hope this is not a 'bug' ;))
Will report back if I run across any issues (none so far).

--
arris
arris's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=37909
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=87364
Muele
2011-05-06 08:18:58 UTC
This is a good instruction for remote access

pippin;628286 Wrote:
> I think this
> http://penguinlovesmusic.de/2011/02/11/coolios-guide-to-remote-playback/
> will more or less apply here, too.

--
Muele

BR Mogens

2 Radios (1 battery), 2 Controllers, 2 Receivers, 1 Softsqueeze (at
work), SqueezeCommander on Se X10 mini and HTC Desire. Served by an
old 800 mhz IBM T21 Thinkpad (Yes I know most phones have more
cpu-power these days, but it gets the job done).
Muele's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=21310
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=87364
NikolajC
2011-04-29 19:04:33 UTC
Nice work. Got some short burst of static using spotify via triodes that
I don't normally experience on my home audio system or spotify android
app. But generally nice work.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

--
NikolajC

NikolajC's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=18676
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=87364
bluegaspode
2011-04-29 19:14:26 UTC
NikolajC;628298 Wrote:
> Nice work. Got some short burst of static using spotify via triodes that
> I don't normally experience on my home audio system or spotify android
> app. But generally nice work.
This is a bug of the HTC Desire, when using the sound API I'm using :(
Even if I send a lot of 0-samples, one sometimes gets a very short
burst at the beginning of playback.

I read about a workaround (playing 100msecs of silence via the other
sound API) that might minimize this effect and I will play around with
it in one of the future version.

Muele

erland
2011-04-29 18:06:49 UTC
bluegaspode;628180 Wrote:
> Turn you mobile into a Squeezebox with SqueezePlayer!
>
> https://market.android.com/details?id=de.bluegaspode.squeezeplayer

Unfortunately I don't have an Android device to try it on, but great
work anyway.

Just out of interest, would this be possible to run on a Logitech Revue
and suddenly turn it into a Squeezebox player ?
As I've understood Revue isn't supporting Android Market yet ? (At
least not unless you hack it)

But if someone from Logitech sees this post and SqueezePlayer would be
possible to run on Revue, maybe it's worth to investigate. Feels kind
of perfect to have a player app on the Revue and then use one of the
controller apps on the Android/iOS device to control it with.

--
erland

(Developer of 'many plugins/applets'
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/User:Erland). If my answer
helped you and you like to encourage future presence on this forum
and/or third party plugin/applet development, 'donations are always
appreciated' (http://erland.isaksson.info/donate))
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=87364
Skinny
2011-04-29 19:03:57 UTC
I don't seem able to purchase this for my no-brand cheapo Android 1.6
tablet. Is Android 2 required?

-Skinny

--
Skinny

This sentence says less than a list of audio equipment.
Skinny's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=21538
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=87364
bluegaspode
2011-04-29 19:09:32 UTC
Skinny;628297 Wrote:
> I don't seem able to purchase this for my no-brand cheapo Android 1.6
> tablet. Is Android 2 required?
>
> -Skinny
Yes, the minimum requirement is Android 2.1.
Android 1.5 and 1.6 only make 5% of the market but require huge
additional programming and testing efforts (see
http://developer.android.com/resources/dashboard/platform-versions.html)

Thats why I decided to not support it anymore, sorry :(

bluegaspode
2011-04-29 19:17:12 UTC
erland;628290 Wrote:

> Just out of interest, would this be possible to run on a Logitech Revue
> and suddenly turn it into a Squeezebox player ?
I have no idea how much they changed for Revue.

yobyot
2011-04-30 15:32:01 UTC
I would love to try this on my T-Mobile G2. One question: if the phone
is plugged into the USB port and USB access is turned on, will the app
output audio to the USB port? This is for a mobile application; my car
sees the G2 as a USB device.

--
yobyot
yobyot's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=20556
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=87364
realcodeguy
2011-04-30 16:16:32 UTC
Just installed and it worked locally first go no problem. Will setup
remote access and see how she sings :-)

--
realcodeguy
realcodeguy's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=41870
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=87364
dshinnick
2011-04-30 16:55:50 UTC
Sorry to be a wet blanket, but I can't get this to work at all!

Am using Squeezecommander with Squeezeplayer.

Am using Touch as my SB Server; I don't have a dedicated PC for that. I
didn't see where that would be a problem as described in the Market.

My Squeezecommander (SC) is controlling the SqueezeboxTouch (ST); I can
hear it playing through my stereo in the house.

- The Squeezeplayer (SP) has registered itself with the ST.
- The SP screen shows Playback is on (green), Start App (which works
fine), the server IP, WiFi connected, but "Playback stopped". No matter
what I do, I cant' change the status of "Playback".

When I turn Playback off, the Connection status goes to
"disconnected".

The Notification bar shows Squeezeplayer, playback is activated.

Basically, everything seems right except the Playback status, and the
fact that I'm not getting any sound whatsoever.

I'm not going to return it to the Market because I think we'll get this
figured out, and I've been looking for this app for a long time.

Thanks!

Dave

--
dshinnick
dshinnick's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=38945
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=87364
bluegaspode
2011-04-30 17:06:44 UTC
dshinnick;628411 Wrote:

> Basically, everything seems right except the Playback status, and the
> fact that I'm not getting any sound whatsoever.
Hi Dave,

from what you write SqueezePlayer is setup correctly. When it says
'connected' but 'playback stopped' it's waiting to receive a stream.

You need to start SqueezeCommander then and you will see your Samsung
(along with the Touch) in the players list (one swipe to the right
typically gets you to the servers + players list in SqueezeCommander).

Does this work? Then select the Samsung and like with a Touch you
should be able to start a song.
If its not working: what type of media are you trying to play?

dshinnick
2011-04-30 17:20:33 UTC
When I go to the players list and select Touch, I then hit Play and I
hear music playing in the house, and the playback-progress indicator
moves as it should.

When I select "Samsung SCH-1500" in the players list, then hit the Play
button, I get the little Play icon in the center of the screen for a
second, it goes away, but the playback-progress bar at the top does not
move.

NEWS!

After I typed the above I tried a different song and it started
playing. The song I was trying to play earlier (which wouldn't play)
was an iTunes purchase/download. The next song I tried was just an MP3
rip. Wow. Ok, it's humming along just fine now. Thanks so much for the
help!

dave

chenrikson
2011-04-30 17:33:05 UTC
Everything seems to work very well -- but no sound on my Droid X. All
the screens are there, play and stop work, the Droid X is identified as
a player. No sound on favorites or local media, although everything
appears normal. I must be doing something wrong but can't figure it
out. Music files stored on the phone work fine. Help!

--
chenrikson
chenrikson's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=22407
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=87364
bluegaspode
2011-04-30 17:36:18 UTC
chenrikson;628421 Wrote:
> Everything seems to work very well -- but no sound on my Droid X. All
> the screens are there, play and stop work, the Droid X is identified as
> a player. No sound on favorites or local media, although everything
> appears normal. I must be doing something wrong but can't figure it
> out. Music files stored on the phone work fine. Help!

What type of media files are you using and what server are you running?

chenrikson
2011-04-30 20:36:59 UTC
bluegaspode;628424 Wrote:
> What type of media files are you using and what server are you running?

MP3 using my computer as the server. I find that I can get it to work
for a short while. During that period the Playback buffering
percentages go down from 99% to 0% -- first the second percentage and
then the first. Stopping the player gets it to work again for a short
while but the same problem occurs. I note that if I turn Playback off
I cannot turn it back on without exiting the app.

bluegaspode
2011-04-30 21:05:28 UTC
chenrikson;628447 Wrote:
> MP3 using my computer as the server. I find that I can get it to work
> for a short while. During that period the Playback buffering
> percentages go down from 99% to 0% -- first the second percentage and
> then the first. Stopping the player gets it to work again for a short
> while but the same problem occurs.

The first percentage is the audio buffer => if it's at 0% then there is
no more to play and SqueezePlayer will make a short pause to rebuffer.
The second percentage is the download buffer => if it's at 0% the mp3
decoder doesn't have new data to decode, so the first buffer will soon
go down as well, as there's is nothing to fill it again.

As you say the second percentage goes down first, this means that
SqueezePlayer is not able to download enough data fast enough.
Either your network is not fast enough or your server has problems
sending out enough data.

You are using WiFi, do you? Anything else that might stress your
network (big downloads, whatever?)

chenrikson;628447 Wrote:
> I note that if I turn Playback off I cannot turn it back on without
> exiting the app.
I'm analyzing those crashs right now and hope to resolve them this
week(end?).

bluegaspode
2011-05-01 00:13:38 UTC
v1.0.2 now available:

- FLAC with 24bit samplerate works now
- fixed occasional crash when syncing SqueezePlayer to other players
(please note that this is still not fully supported yet)

Michael Herger
2011-05-02 06:53:35 UTC
> - FLAC with 24bit samplerate works now

Thanks, my track is indeed playing without converting to mp3. But I'm
still confused: it says "bitrate 815kbps VBR (converted to 1411kbps PCM)",
and flac is running on the server. Is flac now transcoded on the server
side?

Michael
pippin
2011-05-02 07:49:18 UTC
mherger;628660 Wrote:

> Thanks, my track is indeed playing without converting to mp3. But I'm
>
> still confused: it says "bitrate 815kbps VBR (converted to 1411kbps
> PCM)",
> and flac is running on the server. Is flac now transcoded on the server
>
> side?

I'm seeing something similar in iPeng's playback even though there is
no limitation set.
Could it be that the server always downsamples FLAC if it doesn't
explicitly know that 24/96 is supported?

--
pippin

---
see iPeng, the Squeezebox iPhone remote and
*New: iPeng for iPad*, at penguinlovesmusic.com
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=87364
bluegaspode
2011-05-02 09:31:01 UTC
mherger;628660 Wrote:
> > - FLAC with 24bit samplerate works now
>
> Thanks, my track is indeed playing without converting to mp3. But I'm
>
> still confused: it says "bitrate 815kbps VBR (converted to 1411kbps
> PCM)",
> and flac is running on the server. Is flac now transcoded on the server
>
> side?

Whatever happens, happens 99% on the serverside :)
SqueezePlayer will accept 8bit->24 bit samplesize and samplerates up to
48kHz (I think this is the default supported by all players?)

The server will transcode/decode to PCM and I'd expect your server to
send:
24bit * 2channels * 44.1kHz = 2067kbps ? (don't know if the samplerate
is right - from your numbers it would only be 30kHz or my calculations
are flawed).

SqueezePlayer then just 'downsamples/upsamples' the 8bit and 24bit
samples to 16bit samples (i.e. using the last two bytes instead of all
three, or filling up with 0).
The 'white noise' bug was just that I took the wrong bytes (Big Endian
vs. Little Endian) from the 24bit pcm-stream when feeding the 16bit
Android audio system.

Didn't I read elsewere on the forums that these average bitrates are
not to be trusted anyway?

Started yesterday to checkout the libFLAC sources so will be a matter
of one or two weeks, until we don't have to care about that anymore.

Michael Herger
2011-05-02 10:23:37 UTC
> Whatever happens, happens 99% on the serverside :)
> SqueezePlayer will accept 8bit->24 bit samplesize and samplerates up to
> 48kHz (I think this is the default supported by all players?)

Oh, but SqueezePlayer would not handle flac on the device, but receive PCM
instead? I wasn't surprised by the bitrates etc., but thought that the app
was able to receive and play flac. That's for the next version, which will
be > 1.0.x?

Michael
bluegaspode
2011-05-02 10:56:42 UTC
mherger;628685 Wrote:
> > Whatever happens, happens 99% on the serverside :)
> > SqueezePlayer will accept 8bit->24 bit samplesize and samplerates up
> > 48kHz (I think this is the default supported by all players?)
>
> Oh, but SqueezePlayer would not handle flac on the device, but receive
> PCM
> instead? I wasn't surprised by the bitrates etc., but thought that the
> app
> was able to receive and play flac. That's for the next version, which
> will
> be > 1.0.x?
>
> --
>
> Michael
Again someone not reading announcement :) FLAC right now is streamed as
PCM.
Yeah - native Flac will be in 1.1.0 - due in about one or two weeks I
think.

Michael Herger
2011-05-02 11:13:14 UTC
> Again someone not reading announcement :) FLAC right now is streamed as
> PCM.

Hey, I went back to read the product page before posting above statement.
It said "next version", but didn't specify whether this would be 1.0.2, or
1.1, or 2.0 :-P.

Michael
azaz44
2011-05-02 13:58:24 UTC
Works here on Samsung Galaxy S.

Issues:
- the playback icon doesn't blend into background - you can see the
square behind.
- didn't find the server, had to enter IP manually.
- it has an icon to go to Logitech Controller. This works, but it's
like the Controller is always starting new - it shows "free your music"
and takes time to start, even if it was already running. When starting
by simply running the app, and if it was running before, it takes you
instantly to the now playing screen without waiting.

Playback seems to be stable and it is a great app!

--
azaz44
azaz44's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=21080
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=87364
bluegaspode
2011-05-02 22:00:12 UTC
azaz44;628721 Wrote:
> Works here on Samsung Galaxy S.
>
> Issues:
> - the playback icon doesn't blend into background - you can see the
> square behind.
> - didn't find the server, had to enter IP manually.
> - it has an icon to go to Logitech Controller. This works, but it's
> like the Controller is always starting new - it shows "free your music"
> and takes time to start, even if it was already running. When starting
> by simply running the app, and if it was running before, it takes you
> instantly to the now playing screen without waiting.
>
> Playback seems to be stable and it is a great app!

Hi azaz:

the icon: is actually based on Android Guidelines for notification
icons
(http://developer.android.com/guide/practices/ui_guidelines/icon_design_status_bar.html#icon1)
I'm a bit reluctant to change that yet, as I don't know if any device
has a dark grey background in the notification area.

the Logitech App: if you don't stop the Logitech App (i.e. leave it via
the home button), it returns to the last menu where you left, even when
started via SqueezePlayer. This works fine an all devices I tried.
If you haven't been in the Logi-App for a long time, then maybe Android
decided to remove the App from the background, so it will be restarted.

Nothing I can do there - and that this App has a forced unnecessary
splashscreen I cannot change :(.
In my experience using SqueezeCommander is much more convenient, as it
starts much faster.

bluegaspode
2011-05-02 22:19:44 UTC
Just published v1.0.3.

This version fixes any crash-report and freeze-reports I received in
the last couple of days.
These were very specific already (like "on the very first start it
crashed, when the server detection didn't find a server and the user
left the App before the server detection popup" , so most users won't
have faced them.

Thanks a lot to all of you for providing the crash-reports! These help
me make the App very stable, so future users won't face any issues
anymore.

I'll be starting on v1.1.0 now which will feature a native FLAC decoder
and options to leave the screen turned off for all those mobiles that
don't throttle the CPU too much with a turned off screen.

In the meantime the early adopter price of 0.99€ will still be valid
until thursday night, as announced in the first post.

azaz44
2011-05-03 08:49:28 UTC
bluegaspode;628825 Wrote:
> Hi azaz:
>
> the icon: is actually based on Android Guidelines for notification
> icons
> (http://developer.android.com/guide/practices/ui_guidelines/icon_design_status_bar.html#icon1)
> I'm a bit reluctant to change that yet, as I don't know if any device
> has a dark grey background in the notification area.

I can live with that :)

> the Logitech App: if you don't stop the Logitech App (i.e. leave it via
> the home button), it returns to the last menu where you left, even when
> started via SqueezePlayer. This works fine an all devices I tried.
> If you haven't been in the Logi-App for a long time, then maybe Android
> decided to remove the App from the background, so it will be restarted.
>
> Nothing I can do there - and that this App has a forced unnecessary
> splashscreen I cannot change :(.
> In my experience using SqueezeCommander is much more convenient, as it
> starts much faster.

This is not much of an issue for me anymore, as SqueezeCommander just
got a great update and is going to be my app of choice.

But in case you want reports about it, this is how it works here. (I
evaluated more).

If Logitech app is initially started with SqueezePlayer it works as
expected. Everytime I switch to it from SqueezePlayer, it is instant.

If Logitech app is started separately by running the app from Android
UI, then SqueezePlayer will not switch to it, but rather start another
one. Moreover, every next time I try it, is starts another one (show
the splash screen again). And now I'm in logitech app and try to quit
it. It asks for confirmation, than quits and guess what, I have
logitech app on screen again. I have to quit it as many times as I did
start it before :) So I guess many instances are started, although
built-in task manager shows always only one.

I also tested the same with SqueezeCommander and here it seems to
behave correctly in all cases.

Cheers

bluegaspode
2011-05-03 11:35:11 UTC
azaz44;628915 Wrote:

> If Logitech app is started separately by running the app from Android
> UI, then SqueezePlayer will not switch to it, but rather start another
> one. Moreover, every next time I try it, is starts another one (show
> the splash screen again). And now I'm in logitech app and try to quit
> it. It asks for confirmation, than quits and guess what, I have
> logitech app on screen again. I have to quit it as many times as I did
> start it before :) So I guess many instances are started, although
> built-in task manager shows always only one.

Interesting find, indeed I never started the Logi

As Michael is reading here:

mherger
2011-05-03 11:43:51 UTC
bluegaspode;628932 Wrote:
> Interesting find

Indeed!

bluegaspode;628932 Wrote:
> It's a simple option in the manifest to make an App just start as a
> singleton instance and it would make a lot of sense, to just define
> that. No need for multiple instances just because user can have funny
> clickpathes on Android.

Thanks for the heads up. I thought I had already done this. Will have
to verify whether it's in trunk only and I forgot to merge back to the
1.1.x branch...

--
mherger

Michael

http://www.herger.net/slim-plugins - AlbumReview, Biography,
MusicInfoSCR
mherger's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=50
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=87364
chenrikson
2011-05-04 13:35:09 UTC
Still stuck with the buffering problem in that the player works fine for
a minute or two, and then quits when the buffers drop to zero. I tried
rebooting the Droid X with no improvement. I then tried killing a
bunch of r"running" apps. This last improved the situation somewhat
in that the song plays for about twice as long -- but then the buffer
empties and playback stops even tho the song is not done. Does anyone
have this app working on a Droid X?

bluegaspode
2011-05-05 20:42:46 UTC
bluegaspode;629235 Wrote:
> Is your Droid staying on all the time (or can you try making it not fall
> into any sleep situation if that makes a difference?)
> Can you try what happens, when you keep it power connected, so that it
> does not run from battery?
>
> Please also send me your DeviceID (there is a free App for that called
> DeviceID) to support(at)squeezeplayer.com and I can send you a version
> with debug logs enabled, that might give us a clue.

Hi chenrikson,
any progress? Didn't get a mail nor update from you.
One the AppStore appeared a comment "Great solution This app works
great with my droid x. [...]". So this doesn't seem to be a Droid X
issue?

gruntwolla
2011-05-06 07:53:48 UTC
Hi there,
First of all - thanks for a great app. I decided to wait for
the latest version, as most of my music is flac, and it just works - no
buffering - excellent!!
Just one question please. In your OP you mentioned a manual
for setting up remote streaming via 3G. Is that available yet?
Thanks again,
Trev

--
gruntwolla
gruntwolla's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=35645
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=87364
bluegaspode
2011-05-06 10:06:32 UTC
gruntwolla;629610 Wrote:
> In your OP you mentioned a manual for setting up remote streaming via
> 3G. Is that available yet?

Hi Trevor,

my current timeline is:

- finishing FLAC decoder (I'm halfway through it, shouldn't take
long anymore - one or two weeks max) and some other minor
enhancements
- setting up a webpage + blog with instruction about 3G (in the
meantime use the one linked already, it fits perfectly)
- start marketing activities for SqueezePlayer

Then as everyone knows Logitech started a free App on iOS which heavily
affects my sales, so I need to rework all my marketing in the iOS sector
(as a first step). Right now this is all focused to compete against
iPeng (which isn't the real competitor anymore).

Lot of work unfortunately that I wished I could spend on new features
sooner, but this is life...

simbo
2011-05-06 10:32:41 UTC
bluegaspode;629640 Wrote:
> in the meantime use the one linked already, it fits perfectly
The only additional information I would suggest on top of pippin's info
is to install LAME on your SB Server and downsample to a 3G-friendly
rate, such as 128kbps (or if you can bear it, 96kbps). Instructions are
on the wiki
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/LAME_for_transcoding]here.

--
simbo

*lounge:* receiver; *dining room:* boom; *garden:* classic; *bedroom:*
boom; *anywhere:* controller, squeezecommander
'last.fm' (http://www.last.fm/user/buggle52)
simbo's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=11481
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=87364
chenrikson
2011-05-06 20:15:43 UTC
bluegaspode;629540 Wrote:
> Hi chenrikson,
> any progress? Didn't get a mail nor update from you.
> One the AppStore appeared a comment "Great solution This app works
> great with my droid x. [...]". So this doesn't seem to be a Droid X
> issue?

I haven't forgotten, just too busy. Glad to hear it is not a Droid X
issue

bluegaspode
2011-05-04 15:33:11 UTC

simbo
2011-05-04 17:48:55 UTC
Fantastic job, works well for me!

I've even got this working over 3G. I've installed LAME to allow SBS to
convert to a 3G-friendly rate. Setting this right reduces the buffering
time considerably.

One possible enhancement would be to allow the bitrate to be changed
via the phone UI. I'm thinking there are times I'd want higher quality
(when I'm on WiFi) and times when I expect to need to use a lower rate
(over 3G). Just some food for thought.

bluegaspode
2011-05-04 18:03:51 UTC
Cool idea, I think I provide an option on the settings screen.
I'm not fan yet of automatically changing that yet, this seems to have
confused users in iPeng on iPhone.

But on the backlog (but I guess soon to come).

I'm happy about AppStore comments by the way!
I'm also happy about users contacting me at
support(at)squeezeplayer.com when they face problems before giving
average rating ;)

Have fun with your playback!

Guy48065
2011-05-05 17:12:18 UTC
How do you purchase this for tablet use when one doesn't have a "phone"
to download to? "Phone" looks to be the only DL choice from the market
so my purchase dead-ended.

--
Guy48065

Squeezebox Classic
Control:
Archos A101T tablet + SqueezeCommander,
Duet remote
Guy48065's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=38659
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=87364
dementik
2011-05-05 18:57:59 UTC
Hi!

First of all thanks for the great app!

I have been using it for few days and I'd have one feature request:
When disconnecting headphones it should pause or mute.

--
dementik
dementik's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=46383
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=87364
bluegaspode
2011-05-05 20:27:33 UTC
Guy48065;629497 Wrote:
> How do you purchase this for tablet use when one doesn't have a "phone"
> to download to? "Phone" looks to be the only DL choice from the market
> so my purchase dead-ended.

Hi Guy48065

I definitely don't want my app to be restricted to phone users.
The developer account only shows three restrictions: 'WiFi',
'TouchScreen' and 'ARM-processor'.
Futhermore Android 2.1 is a minimum requirement.

So I wouldn't know why the App does not show on Android market for
you.
What are your device specifications?
Can you tell me some other Apps that you are able to download (I might
sneek into their definitions, so free Apps preferred) ?

Other then that the only thing is maybe contacting Google support (but
I'd need your device details for that).

dementik;629512 Wrote:
> Hi!
>
> First of all thanks for the great app!
>
> I have been using it for few days and I'd have one feature request:
> When disconnecting headphones it should pause or mute.

Hi dementik,
what is the use-case for that? Isn't removing headphone intentional? I
guess I would be pretty confused if music then just stopped (and would
think this is an App error).

Guy48065
2011-05-06 14:43:52 UTC
bluegaspode;629538 Wrote:
> Hi Guy48065
>
> I definitely don't want my app to be restricted to phone users.
> The developer account only shows three restrictions: 'WiFi',
> 'TouchScreen' and 'ARM-processor'.
> Futhermore Android 2.1 is a minimum requirement.
>
> So I wouldn't know why the App does not show on Android market for
> you.
> What are your device specifications?
> Can you tell me some other Apps that you are able to download (I might
> sneek into their definitions, so free Apps preferred) ?
>
> Other then that the only thing is maybe contacting Google support (but
> I'd need your device details for that).

OS is 2.2 Froyo and Archos satisfies the other requirements named. I
bought the tablet mainly to control my SB system since the normal
remotes & box are too small or too far away to be seen by my
middle-aged eyes :) So far I've only installed free apps (no problems)
so the issue might only be with the purchase end of things. I have my
Paypal linked to the market and was in the middle of my wifi network so
I don't understand why the DL didn't start.

Hoping the price won't go up while I sort this out ;-)

bluegaspode
2011-05-06 15:47:21 UTC
Guy48065;629708 Wrote:
> My market account shows the app was bought so I don't understand why the
> DL didn't start.

If the market lets you buy the App (even if not downloaded correctly)
then no restrictions applied (then you wouldn't see it on the market at
all).

So just try the download again, I'm sure it will work on a second try
:)

bluegaspode
2011-04-30 17:32:29 UTC
dshinnick;628416 Wrote:

> After I typed the above I tried a different song and it started
> playing. The song I was trying to play earlier (which wouldn't play)
> was an iTunes purchase/download. The next song I tried was just an MP3
> rip. Wow. Ok, it's humming along just fine now. Thanks so much for the
> help!

iTunes is in m4a/AAC format typically. The Touch unfortunately does not
have enough power to transcode that and SqueezePlayer cannot play mp4
natively.
Only a full Squeezebox-Server would be able to stream your iTunes music
to SqueezePlayer.

I will update the App description accordingly to make clearer, that the
stripped down server of the Touch is not able to transcode all too good.

bluegaspode
2011-04-30 17:34:58 UTC
realcodeguy;628406 Wrote:
> Will setup remote access and see how she sings :-)

Let us know how it goes!

bluegaspode
2011-04-30 16:41:21 UTC
yobyot;628403 Wrote:
> I would love to try this on my T-Mobile G2. One question: if the phone
> is plugged into the USB port and USB access is turned on, will the app
> output audio to the USB port? This is for a mobile application; my car
> sees the G2 as a USB device.

To be honest I don't know. Does this work if you play music from any
other App?
If not then I doubt it would work with SqueezePlayer.

I could image this might work with bluetooth, but this is totally up to
Android and your Phone. I just tell Android 'please stream this music'
and whether it then comes out of the speakers/headphone/whatever other
device Android decides itself.

arris
2011-04-30 17:44:38 UTC
bluegaspode;628408 Wrote:
> I could image this might work with bluetooth, but this is totally up to
> Android and your Phone. I just tell Android 'please stream this music'
> and whether it then comes out of the speakers/headphone/whatever other
> device Android decides itself.

For the records, playback via bluetooth works fine for me on the
Vibrant.

yobyot
2011-05-01 15:47:07 UTC
bluegaspode;628408 Wrote:
> To be honest I don't know. Does this work if you play music from any
> other App?
> If not then I doubt it would work with SqueezePlayer.
>
> I could image this might work with bluetooth, but this is totally up to
> Android and your Phone. I just tell Android 'please stream this music'
> and whether it then comes out of the speakers/headphone/whatever other
> device Android decides itself.

Thanks for the reply. I haven't gotten this to work reliably. Once --
just once! -- I got the Amazon MP3 player to play through the USB port.
But then I later realized that it might have been that the Amazon player
was actually playing from a hidden directory on the SD card what it had
downloaded as a cache.

I might give this a try and if it works, I'll let you know.

Michael Herger
2011-04-29 20:39:40 UTC
> Just out of interest, would this be possible to run on a Logitech Revue
> and suddenly turn it into a Squeezebox player ?

If LMS comes true, then it will be possible to stream to Revue using DLNA anyway.

> As I've understood Revue isn't supporting Android Market yet ? (At
> least not unless you hack it)

That's correct. But we've been interested in this question as well. Unfortunately the production units have the debug ports disabled (obviously...), but with dev units we have been able to easily install an Android app using adb. I've tested this with one single app only ;-) (the touch UI doesn't make much sense on a 24" full HD screen).

AFAIK current Google TV OS isn't a real Android, but some relative. There seem to be plans to converge the two later this year.

Michael
bluegaspode
2011-04-30 06:25:40 UTC
arris;628340 Wrote:
> Even Pandora works flawless so far (I know it's not supposed to, hope
> this is not a 'bug' ;))

I think with a premium account this works. Most people don't have it
but are still used to listening to Pandora on their Squeezebox.
This type of account is restricted to be playing only on a hardware
Squeezebox and I don't want to raise expectations, which is why in the
App description I simply claim, that its not working.
So no worries, have fun using Pandora!

bluegaspode
2011-05-01 04:37:52 UTC

rpress
2011-05-01 04:54:38 UTC
bluegaspode;628272 Wrote:
> 9000 and 3483
>
> You are one of those, that don't read announcements or App Store
> descriptions to the end, shame on you :D (but I'm happy to help anyway
> ;) )

Ah, well thanks anyway for the help, it's working well now over 3G.

I just downloaded the new version, looks like it might clear up the
crashes I get occassionally.

T-bird
2011-05-01 08:43:30 UTC
Some moore issues I have

When running SqueezePlay the screen on my phone (HTC DHD) never turns
completly off, it just dim down
And if I turn screen off manually it turns on again every time it
changes to a new song

Another thing is it keep the discs spinning on my SBS server for ever,
I must turn wifi off on the phone to stop it.

--
T-bird

Sorry for my poor english

1 x Touch
1 x Radio
SBS 7.5.4 running on QNAP 219p
bluegaspode
2011-05-01 10:08:34 UTC
T-bird;628503 Wrote:
> Some moore issues I have
>
> When running SqueezePlay the screen on my phone (HTC DHD) never turns
> completly off, it just dim down
> And if I turn screen off manually it turns on again every time it
> changes to a new song

Hi T-bird,
currently this is expected behaviour. Some phones throttle the CPU too
much, when the screen is off (then causing stuttering playback quite
fast) - that's why right now I'm forcing the screen to be turned on.
I'll soon provide an option in the App settings to make this optional,
so anyone can try himself if it is needed on his phone.

> Another thing is it keep the discs spinning on my SBS server for ever,
> I must turn wifi off on the phone to stop it.
Are you sure this is from SqueezePlayer and not any other App running
in the background as well?
The App sends the same commands to your QNAP like the Touch or Radio,
so if these are on as well it shouldn't make any difference.
If you don't see the playback symbol, SqueezePlayer does not send
anything to your QNAP, if you don't trust that, you might want to force
close the App manually (In Android Settings under Applications).

T-bird
2011-05-01 11:12:26 UTC
bluegaspode;628513 Wrote:
> Hi T-bird,
>
> Are you sure this is from SqueezePlayer and not any other App running
> in the background as well?
> The App sends the same commands to your QNAP like the Touch or Radio,
> so if these are on as well it shouldn't make any difference.
> If you don't see the playback symbol, SqueezePlayer does not send
> anything to your QNAP, if you don't trust that, you might want to force
> close the App manually (In Android Settings under Applications).

Yes i can verify it from Squeezeplayer
If I SSH to my QNAP I can see it has a connection to my phones (I use
the netstat command)
The network connection is never closed so I guess that's the cause for
not spinning down the discs
Toggle wifi off/on on phone and all is OK again

--
T-bird

Sorry for my poor english

1 x Touch
1 x Radio
SBS 7.5.4 running on QNAP 219p
bluegaspode
2011-05-01 16:25:38 UTC
T-bird;628522 Wrote:
> Yes i can verify it from Squeezeplayer
> If I SSH to my QNAP I can see it has a connection to my phones (I use
> the netstat command)
> The network connection is never closed so I guess that's the cause for
> not spinning down the discs
> Toggle wifi off/on on phone and all is OK again

I cannot reproduce this (neither using Android 2.1 or 2.2), my mobile
is having IP 192.168.1.112, here is my log

Code:
--------------------

(SqueezePlayer stopped)

Stefan-Hansels-MacBook-Pro:~ bluegaspode$ netstat | grep 112

(no result, starting SqueezePlayer)

Stefan-Hansels-MacBook-Pro:~ bluegaspode$ netstat | grep 112
tcp4 0 0 192.168.1.111.slim-dev 192.168.1.112.50823 ESTABLISHED

(one connection on port 3483, that is SlimProto, now hitting the playback 'off' button)

Stefan-Hansels-MacBook-Pro:~ bluegaspode$ netstat | grep 112

(no result, as expected, all connections down. Turning on SqueezePlayer, starting a song)

Stefan-Hansels-MacBook-Pro:~ bluegaspode$ netstat | grep 112
tcp4 0 131768 192.168.1.111.cslisten 192.168.1.112.36589 ESTABLISHED
tcp4 0 0 192.168.1.111.slim-dev 192.168.1.112.38274 ESTABLISHED

(slimproto is running and one further connection to download the song. Hitting the 'off' button)

Stefan-Hansels-MacBook-Pro:~ bluegaspode$ netstat | grep 112

(no result, as expected)

--------------------

Is your QNAP really not spinning down the harddrive, when there are
network connections?
All kind of stuff will be talking to your QNAP all the time:
- the Touch and Radio will keep an open connection all the time (!) on
port 3483. SqueezePlayer shuts down after 15min of nothing is playing
and you didn't hit the 'Off' button
- Any other App on your phone might talk to your QNAP (Logitech App and
SqueezeCommander on port 9000), even the Web-Interface is polling your
server all the time to update the Now Playing screen.

T-bird
2011-05-02 16:03:37 UTC
Hi bluegaspode

An update how things working on my side

Rebooted my phone, think thats first time ever
Rebooted my nas, previous only restarting SBS

Guess what? Everything seems to work now

Sorry for making truble and thanks for the support

--
T-bird

Sorry for my poor english

1 x Touch
1 x Radio
SBS 7.5.4 running on QNAP 219p
marlo
2011-05-01 15:38:52 UTC
T-bird;628503 Wrote:

> When running SqueezePlay the screen on my phone (HTC DHD) never turns
> completly off, it just dim down
> And if I turn screen off manually it turns on again every time it
> changes to a new song
> Another thing is it keep the discs spinning on my SBS server for ever,
> I must turn wifi off on the phone to stop it.

Me too on Motorola Defy. Plus I am unable to use the remote functions
play, stop, skip, ff, rew, etc. on my bluetooth headset (SE MW-600).

Anayway, thank you - this is, what I've been waiting for a long time

--
marlo
marlo's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=37542
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=87364
bluegaspode
2011-05-01 16:29:25 UTC
marlo;628544 Wrote:
> Plus I am unable to use the remote functions play, stop, skip, ff, rew,
> etc. on my bluetooth headset (SE MW-600).

Hi Marlo,

don't have a remote control (yet), so didn't implement listening to
these function. Maybe an App like SqueezeCommander listens to these
buttons (flattermann will know and answer here soon I guess).

If not - write me a mail to 'support(at)squeezeplayer.com' - I might be
wanting to implement that and you could then do some beta testing.

Guy48065
2011-05-04 14:37:06 UTC
Having a nice player app just makes me sad that SB/SBS doesn't support
video. What a missed opportunity for the "complete package".