[ANNOUNCE] Music-Playback now on ANDROID! SqueezePlayer released to the market ...
bluegaspode
2011-04-28 21:04:09 UTC
Turn you mobile into a Squeezebox with SqueezePlayer!

The very first week for only 0,99€ as a special early adopter price.

Do you want to stream all your Logitech Squeezebox content directly to
your phone and make it really free? Then SqueezePlayer is your perfect
match!

SqueezePlayer is able to stream your local music, internet radio
stations or songs from Apps like Last.FM, Deezer or WiMP directly to
your mobile. (Rhapsody and Pandora NOT working right now, due to
licensing issues, Spotify only works with the help of triodes plugin
installed in a Squeezebox-Server, Napster only works with Windows-based
server).

SqueezePlayer is just a playback App - you won't be able to control
your Squeezebox (nor itself) with it. But there are enough Apps out
there being a perfect fit: SqueezeCommander (recommended) or free
alternatives like the official Logitech App, SqueezeControl or
SqueezeDroid.
From the main screen of SqueezePlayer you can jump directly to any of
these App, where you mobile will be among all other players as long as
SqueezePlayer is activated.

Right now the following music formats are supported directly:
MP3, WAV, PCM

Your SqueezeboxServer will be able to convert other file types (FLAC,
Ogg, mp4) to PCM on the fly, so these will play as well. (You can check
the settings screen of your Squeezebox Server under Advanced->File Types
what other file types will be transcoded to PCM).

Native FLAC support will follow in the next version by the way :)

If anything is not working, don't hesitate to contact me under
support(at)squeezeplayer.com

Some notes for the pros: for playback to be working via 3G you will
need to open/forward port 9000 and 3483 on your router (as well as
setting up a DynDNS service). There will be a manual how to set it up
soon!

Tested so far on: HTC Wildfire, Legend, Magic, Google MyTouch, Sony
XPERIA Mini,
I'm really interesting in your experience on any other device of
course!
--
bluegaspode

Big Screen for great Boxes available now at your AppStore: *'Squeezebox
+ iPad = SqueezePad ' (www.squeezepad.com)* - -now featuring streaming
to iPad!-
Want to see a Weather Forecast on your Radio/Touch/Controller ? => why
not try my 'Weather Forecast Applet'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=73827)
Want to use the Headphones with your Controller ? => why not try my
'Headphone Switcher Applet'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=67139)

Setup: 1x SB-Controller+Receiver (Duet), 1xSB-Boom. 2xSB-Radio
Server (7.5.x) running on SheevaPlug (Ubuntu) with attached Western
Digital MyBook Essential.
bluegaspode's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=31651
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=87364
ganjastone
2011-04-28 21:16:45 UTC
This is awesome!!!!

Turned my Squidget to a walkman!
I waited for something similar so long.
Well done!

Thanks,

Avi

Minor issue: It FC when I tried to switch servers right after install.
then worked perfectly. I reported a crash (sent an error report).
--
ganjastone

Squidget - Android SqueezeBox Widget
http://mysquidget.blogspot.com
ganjastone's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=3122
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=87364
bluegaspode
2011-04-28 21:43:34 UTC
Hi Avi,

thanks for your feeback. Never thought about a widget yet, but good
idea - will need to read into it first, but will be easy I guess, as
the playback is a service anyway.
Also will think again about the looks - found it important to finally
release something to the Android world first - and guess that people
won't use my UI much (except for debugging purposes if needed).

Your crash report arrived - it's a rare race condition on disconnects:
will fix it on the weekend (so much for testing for days with several
people - still bugs will creep through).

ganjastone
2011-04-28 21:45:45 UTC
Post by bluegaspode
Hi Avi,
thanks for your feeback. Never thought about a widget yet, but good
idea - will need to read into it first, but will be easy I guess, as
the playback is a service anyway.
Will be glad to assist. Got some experience with those nasty widgets :)

flattermann
2011-04-28 22:00:36 UTC
Post by bluegaspode
Turn you mobile into a Squeezebox with SqueezePlayer!
Very nice.

Is it possible to deactivate the service later?
Because it seems that the service keeps running, even if I stop the
playback (in SqueezeCommander or your UI).
I.e. the player never disappears from the server.
--
flattermann

Christian

Home of 'SqueezeCommander' (http://www.squeezecommander.com) - The
SqueezeBox Remote Control App for Android
flattermann's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=33169
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=87364
bluegaspode
2011-04-28 22:03:14 UTC
Post by flattermann
Very nice.
Is it possible to deactivate the service later?
Because it seems that the service keeps running, even if I stop the
playback (in SqueezeCommander or your UI).
I.e. the player never disappears from the server.
As long as you can see the 'play' symbol in the notification bar, the
service is running.
You can either manually deactivate it - or it will shutdown after 15
minutes automatically (after the last song stopped) - and of course
only when you don't look at the mainscreen of the App.

flattermann
2011-04-28 22:16:17 UTC
Post by bluegaspode
As long as you can see the 'play' symbol in the notification bar, the
service is running.
You can either manually deactivate it - or it will shutdown after 15
minutes automatically (after the last song stopped) - and of course
only when you don't look at the mainscreen of the App.
That did not work here on my first try.

The 'play' symbol was removed, but the service was still running.

I've now forced a stop of the service and now it seems to work as
expected.

bluegaspode
2011-04-28 22:32:32 UTC
Post by flattermann
That did not work here on my first try.
The 'play' symbol was removed, but the service was still running.
I do send the 'BYE' command to the server that should remove the player
from the list.
But I'm not sure, if there are any lags in the server.
You might watch the App with DDMS if you are interested - when the
service is shut down correctly on my side, you won't see a
'PlaybackThread' and 'SlimProtoThread'.

pippin
2011-04-28 23:00:18 UTC
Cool.

Apart from the fact that it took ages to purchase it, not your fault,
but I can now understand why selling stuff on the Android Market is so
much more difficult than on iOS.

But it works quite well from what I can see so far, even on my crappy
Xperia Mini (which for some reason your App calls "U20i", is that the
"technical" name?).

You've done it again! Congrats!
--
pippin

---
see iPeng, the Squeezebox iPhone remote and
*New: iPeng for iPad*, at penguinlovesmusic.com
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=87364
flattermann
2011-04-28 23:11:32 UTC
Post by bluegaspode
I do send the 'BYE' command to the server that should remove the player
from the list.
But I'm not sure, if there are any lags in the server.
You might watch the App with DDMS if you are interested and you see
again that the player is still available in SqueezeCommander - when the
service is shut down correctly on my side, you won't see a
'PlaybackThread' and 'SlimProtoThread'.
I'll do it when this happens again.

But I'm pretty sure that your Thread was still running, because I could
still start/stop the playback in SqueezeCommander. :-)
(Although no 'play' symbol was shown in the notification area.)

And after starting your App again and selecting another server, I could
see two SqueezePlayers in SqueezeCommander. :-)

pippin
2011-04-29 00:09:49 UTC
Is FLAC supposed to work?
I'm only getting white noise when trying that.
--
pippin

---
see iPeng, the Squeezebox iPhone remote and
*New: iPeng for iPad*, at penguinlovesmusic.com
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=87364
Henry66
2011-04-29 00:40:32 UTC
When I first tried it I got no sound at all from FLAC files. Then I
tried an MP3 which worked fine. After that, all FLAC and MP3 files now
work fine.

However, only 16-bit files (44.1 and 48 kHz) seem to work. Playback
aborts with 24-bit files.
--
Henry66
Henry66's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=38863
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=87364
idlewild
2011-04-29 00:47:50 UTC
Playing FLAC downconverted to 64k on HTC Incredible / Verizon over 3G.

Way Cool!!
--
idlewild
idlewild's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=3903
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=87364
mrfantasy
2011-04-29 01:04:48 UTC
Haven't tested extensively, but it seems to be working fine. Looking
forward to testing remote playback. I have a Motorola Droid (original,
but with CyanogenMod 7.0.1, so Android 2.3.3) and a Xoom (Android 3.0)
and will work with both.
--
mrfantasy

--Mike
http://last.fm/user/mrfantasy
mrfantasy's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=1127
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=87364
bluegaspode
2011-04-29 01:55:34 UTC
Post by pippin
Is FLAC supposed to work?
I'm only getting white noise when trying that.
For those trying Flac and have problems: what bitrate/samplerate is
your FLACs?
My Flacs work fine, but I only have same default 44/16.
96/24 won't work yet, as the server does not downsample with PCM.
Real FLAC support coming soon, whoever wants to Beta test, drop a note
to support(at)squeezeplayer.com.

idlewild
2011-04-29 02:12:00 UTC
Pandora Error: "You must be a subscriber to use Pandora from this
device."
Michael Herger
2011-04-29 04:48:14 UTC
Cool! I'm seeing the same flac playback issue pippin mentioned. mp3 is playing perfectly fine.

I've seen several issues with shoutcast streams too: Radio Paradise wouldn't play at all. Some (eg. cool93 Fahrenheit) would kill it after playing playing some Mickey Mouse vocals :-). And some work perfectly fine (eg. idobi radio).

One more thing I observed while using our Controller app: when controlling SqueezePlayer I would get the volume popup when using the volume buttons, which usually doesn't happen in our app. Is your app pushing it to the screen, or is this Android handling it? I'm also wondering as you might need to somehow intercept the volume handler, as it needs to report back to the server too.
bluegaspode
2011-04-29 04:50:16 UTC
Post by idlewild
Pandora Error: "You must be a subscriber to use Pandora from this
device."
As of the App description Pandora does not work due to licensing
issues.

Michael Herger
2011-04-29 04:55:55 UTC
Oh, switching from Direct Streaming to proxied streaming made Radio Paradise available.

You could enable this feature automatically on the server by setting the player pref when connecting ([ 'playerpref', 'mp3StreamingMethod', '1' ]).

Michael
Michael
bluegaspode
2011-04-29 04:54:51 UTC
Post by Michael Herger
One more thing I observed while using our Controller app: when
controlling SqueezePlayer I would get the volume popup when using the
volume buttons, which usually doesn't happen in our app. Is your app
pushing it to the screen, or is this Android handling it? I'm also
wondering as you might need to somehow intercept the volume handler, as
it needs to report back to the server too.
Android pops up the volume indicator when you change the volume.
The App also intercepts the current volume to send it to the server.
Can you send me one of the trouble FLAC to my gmail Account?