[slim] FW 222 on SB3
philippe_44
2018-11-30 06:47:29 UTC
Just got an SB3 with firmware 222. I've never heard about anything
beyond 137, but a bit of search told me that this is a special FW which
would explain why it wants to connect to tkmclassic.com (which fails of
course). But a long press to brightness does not do a FW upgrade ...
just cycle through brightness

AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=109812
markm9999
2018-11-30 07:47:42 UTC
Post by philippe_44
Just got an SB3 with firmware 222. I've never heard about anything
beyond 137, but a bit of search told me that this is a special FW which
would explain why it wants to connect to tkmclassic.com (which fails of
course). But a long press to brightness does not do a FW upgrade ...
just cycle through brightness
[edit]: while it tries to connect to tkmclassic.com, if I long press
brightness, it cycles through but tries to do something. Unfortunately I
immediately have a "update_begin: bad state"
[edit2]: it's part of batch I got and it seems that they are all in the
same state. They also cannot connect of WiFi: they list SSID, then when
selecting one, they reset (at least tried on 2). Might be 2 faulty
wireless cards, but it looks more like this 222 firmware is locking
other things
[edit3]: seems to be that
https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?100917-SB-Classic-won-t-connect-to-Wifi-or-LMS/page2
but I can't get it to downgrade to 137. Wondering how the OP did
Did you try to connect it directly to LMS?

Did you read the other thread located within that thread?
https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?95025-Proprietary-SB3-Firmware-quot-Turnkey-Media-Solutions-quot/page4

Also, to use it with MySB, you'll need to email Michael Herger to have
the MAC address removed from the database so it can be re-registered to
your account.

This is all news to me - I've bought at least a 2 dozen SB3/Booms off of
eBay and this is the first I've heard of this - good to know! ;)

*Player: *1 x Transporter w/Trans-knob, 2 x Touch (Active, 3 x Spares),
4 x Boom (Active, 9 x Spares)
*Server: *1 x Win Server (ESXi 6.x) w/LMS, 1 x HP 24" Touch Screen PC
w/LMS & SqueezePlay
*Control: *4 x w/iPeng, 1 x Samsung Note 4, 3ea x Fire 7", 8” tablets, 1
x 10" all w/SqueezeCtrl & Player (Angry Goat)
*Audio: *Mark Levinson 23.5 Amp, 380s Pre, 390s CD, B&W 801 II, Acoustic
Energy AE-2 signature, SOTA Sapphire table

Computer geek/tech hoarder(!), and DAMN I love the LMS/Squeeze
infrastructure!
markm9999's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=65015
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=109812
philippe_44
2018-11-30 07:50:47 UTC
Post by markm9999
Did you try to connect it directly to LMS?
Did you read the other thread located within that thread?
https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?95025-Proprietary-SB3-Firmware-quot-Turnkey-Media-Solutions-quot/page4
Also, to use it with MySB, you'll need to email Michael Herger to have
the MAC address removed from the database so it can be re-registered to
your account.
This is all news to me - I've bought at least a 2 dozen SB3/Booms off of
eBay and this is the first I've heard of this - good to know! ;)
Yes I did. I mainly use a local LMS. I've even tried different LMS
version hoping that it would force FW changes, but it did not.

markm9999

philippe_44
2018-11-30 08:30:09 UTC
Post by markm9999
So does it work connected to the local LMS?
No, it wants to connect to tkmclassic.com, always, even if I select one
of my local servers. And impossible to downgrade them. Michael has
de-allocated the MAC address, but it did not change anything

markm9999
2018-11-30 08:51:27 UTC
Odd - I've only had one Boom that was registered to someone else AND
it's last operating mode was to MySB.
From what I recall this is when this type of situation can occur - which
would make sense based on what you're saying.

From what I recall, it would not connect to my local LMS either, but a
removal of the MAC and a factory reset did the trick.

Since you said Michael already removed it, the only things I can think
of right now is:

- Verify the MAC you sent him is the correct one
- Attempt yet another factory reset
-

I also seem to remember something about wired vs wireless connection
(scratches head...) - you may also need to use the wired connection(?)
with the factory reset so it automatically connects and finds your
LMS...

toby10
2018-11-30 09:51:22 UTC
https://forums.slimdevices.com/archive/index.php/t-100917.html

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?95025-Proprietary-SB3-Firmware-quot-Turnkey-Media-Solutions-quot

toby10's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=12553
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=109812
Michael Herger
2018-11-30 13:44:12 UTC
Post by philippe_44
Post by markm9999
So does it work connected to the local LMS?
No, it wants to connect to tkmclassic.com, always, even if I select one
of my local servers. And impossible to downgrade them. Michael has
de-allocated the MAC address, but it did not change anything
What do you mean by "connect to tkmclassic.com"? Instead of mysb.com? Or
to such a radio station? You might be able to work around this by having
your local DNS return mysb's IP for that domain?
Michael
philippe_44
2018-11-30 16:59:10 UTC
Post by Michael Herger
Post by philippe_44
of my local servers. And impossible to downgrade them. Michael has
de-allocated the MAC address, but it did not change anything
What do you mean by "connect to tkmclassic.com"? Instead of mysb.com? Or
to such a radio station? You might be able to work around this by having
your local DNS return mysb's IP for that domain?
--
Michael
In the configuration phase, when I select the server to connect to, even
if I select one of my local LMS servers, it flickers a bit, then
displays "connecting to tkmclassic.com" and fail after X seconds (even
if I said connect to 192.168.x.y which of course is a valid, found, LMS
server). I did not think about the DNS trick, that an excellent idea,
I'll try that this evening, thanks.

markm9999
2018-11-30 19:58:35 UTC
I just re-read this post
https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?95025-Proprietary-SB3-Firmware-quot-Turnkey-Media-Solutions-quot&p=755601&viewfull=1#post755601

So hold that sucker down a while and see if it 'takes hold'...

Also, per Michael's post a few down from this one
https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?95025-Proprietary-SB3-Firmware-quot-Turnkey-Media-Solutions-quot&p=755645&viewfull=1#post755645
The problem was that on the backend the player was still linked to a
turnkey account. Therefore you wouldn't have had full access to it. And
upon connecting to mysb.com you might have risked to get the custom
firmware again.
Next time this happens to you (or any other user reading this) don't
tell
support anything about turnkey etc. Just tell them that you bought a
used
SB which you needed to unlink from the previous owner's account and
assign
it to you. If this doesn't work, then shoot me a mail. Either you get an
error mail back, telling you I'm gone, or I'll deal with it.

philippe_44
2018-12-01 07:30:43 UTC
Post by Michael Herger
Post by philippe_44
of my local servers. And impossible to downgrade them. Michael has
de-allocated the MAC address, but it did not change anything
What do you mean by "connect to tkmclassic.com"? Instead of mysb.com? Or
to such a radio station? You might be able to work around this by having
your local DNS return mysb's IP for that domain?
--
Michael
Yipee! the DNS pointing to mysb for all *.tkmclassic.com allowed me to
reload the 137 firwmare. Thanks very much.

In case it helps somebody else, I used maradns
(https://maradns.samiam.org/) to quickly set up a DNS server.
Set an entry in the zone file (look at example on the website)

Code:
--------------------

*.tkmclassic.com. <www.mysqueezebox.com address> ~

--------------------

(of course, <my ...> shall be replace by the valid mysb IP address)

Then use static IP address configuraton when setting network and point
the DNS entry to wherever you've installed maradns.

Michael Herger
2018-12-01 07:43:11 UTC
Post by philippe_44
Yipee! the DNS pointing to mysb for all *.tkmclassic.com allowed me to
reload the 137 firwmare. Thanks very much.
Excellent!
Post by philippe_44
In case it helps somebody else, I used maradns
(https://maradns.samiam.org/) to quickly set up a DNS server.
Set an entry in the zone file (look at example on the website)
Some routers would allow you to change the configuration without the
need to install anything special. But that's good to know anyway. Thanks!
--
Michael