Thinking about my Squeezebox/LMS future
MrRalph
2014-01-06 14:04:53 UTC
Hi all. Like most of you I am very committed to the LMS / Squeezebox
eco-system. Planning to keep using it for years to come. My music
collections is painstakingly taged and has around 1900 albums in FLAC.
I’m using a Touch for my main system and a Squeezebox 3 for second room
use. LMS 7.8 nightly home server on Debian and long time IPeng user and
very happy with it all.

My thoughts and worries on continuing this model are as follows. For the
server version, I thing we are safe. 7.8 works perfectly and will keep
working for years to come I guess. It’s not before it is no longer
supported in future Debian versions that we have an issue. For the
client devices, if my Touch dies, I’m sure I will get me a Community
Squeeze / Wandboard device. For integrated speakers/clients, I just
bought one of the latest (?) UE Radio’s and will probably buy another
one. I like to have a simple all in one solution and don’t see it coming
from Logitech and not so simple from third parties. So covered from that
angle as well.

My ‘concerns’ are twofold: what if Logitech stops Tomorrow with
mysqueezebox.com, will I still have internet radio through the TuneIn
app? I’m really not sure if this will be affected. Another thing, with
this wealth of knowledge on these forums, what if Logitech stops
providing this hosted service. Do we have a backup or something. What’s
the contingency plan for this?
Furthermore, I’m looking forward for using the great eco-system we have
for many years. All the best in 2014!

Ralph

Meridian 506.24, Squeezebox Touch, Technics SL-1210 M5G KAB +
Phonoclone, DIY amplifiers, Linkwitz Orions+ incl Thors, Sennheiser
HD650 + PPAv2 headphone amp
MrRalph's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=22078
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=100711
castalla
2014-01-06 14:11:01 UTC
Post by MrRalph
[...]
As I understand it, the later 7.8 LMS versions have built-in redundancy
for Tunein (and should work if mysb goes away). You'd lose any
favourites stored on mysb - so maybe worth making favourites local to
LMS.

Touch - Muse M50 EX TPA3123 T-Amp Mini - Acoustics Q10 speakers
Logitech Radio
Logitech UE Smart Radio
Raspberry Pi + Squeezeplug LMS + Squeezelite - Logitech Mini Boombox
speaker
Cubieboard + Fedora 18 + LMS 7.8 + Squeezelite - Soundwave SW100
bluetooth speaker
O2 Joggler + SqpOS + Aune X2 T-amp + Mordaunt Short ms-3.40 speakers
castalla's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=15624
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=100711
jimbobvfr400
2014-01-06 16:26:54 UTC
Yes tune in without mysb.com is a big advantage of 7.8 over the stable
version.

Even without the frankly excellent work being done on the community
squeeze project there's tonnes of other options for DIY SB devices which
apart from not supporting the online services can in some cases be
superior than genuine SB hardware IMO.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300-0100 using Tapatalk

jimbobvfr400's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=56857
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=100711
aubuti
2014-01-06 16:59:19 UTC
Another thing, with this wealth of knowledge on these forums, what if
Logitech stops providing this hosted service. Do we have a backup or
something. What’s the contingency plan for this?
There may be other contingency plans, but there is always gmane. It's a
clunkier user experience than these forums, but the info is there if you
do enough digging.

http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.music.equipment.slimdevices.squeezecenter

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=100711
Pascal Hibon
2014-01-06 19:59:51 UTC
will I still have internet radio through the TuneIn app?
Do you really need TuneIn? I mean, if the internet radios you listen to
have direct streams available then you can listen to those without an
external app.
For example, Belgian radio station Studio Brussel has this stream link:
http://mp3.streampower.be/stubru-high.mp3
You can create a playlist that includes the link to the stream or you
can tune in to the url directly.

1 x SB3, 1 x SB Boom, 1 x SB Radio and 2 x SB Touch - all wireless
1 x Wandboard Dual behind the bedroom ceiling
1 x Wandboard Dual for 'msqueeze' (http://www.msqueeze.co.nf/index.html)
project
ReadyNAS NVX running LMS 7.7.3. w iTunes plugin
iPeng 7 on iPhone.
SqueezePad & iPeng 7 on iPad.
http://www.last.fm/user/phibon
Pascal Hibon's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=7969
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=100711
castalla
2014-01-06 20:08:15 UTC
Post by Pascal Hibon
Do you really need TuneIn? I mean, if the internet radios you listen to
have direct streams available then you can listen to those without an
external app.
http://mp3.streampower.be/stubru-high.mp3
You can create a playlist that includes the link to the stream or you
can tune in to the url directly.
Tunein is very useful when others want to find an alternative station
(without having to search for the stream urls), Also, Tunein has
different clients, so it's possible to have the same favourites across a
variety of devices.

Pascal Hibon
2014-01-07 11:19:31 UTC
Post by castalla
Tunein is very useful when others want to find an alternative station
(without having to search for the stream urls), Also, Tunein has
different clients, so it's possible to have the same favourites across a
variety of devices.
Those are all very valid arguments, Castalla.
What I meant to say is that loosing mysqueezebox.com should not
necessary be a show stopper for most Internet radio listening. For sure
you would loose some benefits in terms of management and easy of use but
for most parts Internet radio would still work.
There is also still the Squeezebox's own Internet radio station
listings. These would also continue to work without mysqueezebox.com.

toby10
2014-01-07 11:41:16 UTC
....... There is also still the Squeezebox's own Internet radio station
listings. These would also continue to work without mysqueezebox.com.
That's TuneIn.

toby10's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=12553
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=100711
Pascal Hibon
2014-01-07 12:47:36 UTC
Post by toby10
That's TuneIn.
But these work without a mysqueezebox.com account. Also the
mysqueezebox.com integration is disabled on my systems, yet those menus
work.
Does it still use mysqueezebox.com in the background in that case?

jimbobvfr400
2014-01-07 13:22:19 UTC
Post by Pascal Hibon
But these work without a mysqueezebox.com account. Also the
mysqueezebox.com integration is disabled on my systems, yet those menus
work.
Does it still use mysqueezebox.com in the background in that case?
Unless you're on 7.8 I believe it would do. I may be wrong though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Michael Herger
2014-01-07 13:36:06 UTC
Post by jimbobvfr400
Post by Pascal Hibon
But these work without a mysqueezebox.com account. Also the
mysqueezebox.com integration is disabled on my systems, yet those menus
work.
Does it still use mysqueezebox.com in the background in that case?
Unless you're on 7.8 I believe it would do. I may be wrong though.
Yes. Even 7.8 does. The integration you can opt out is mostly about
synchronizing prefs. LMS would still talk to mysb.com to get your list
of installed apps etc.
Michael
castalla
2014-01-07 13:41:07 UTC
Post by Michael Herger
Post by jimbobvfr400
Post by Pascal Hibon
work.
Does it still use mysqueezebox.com in the background in that case?
Unless you're on 7.8 I believe it would do. I may be wrong though.
Yes. Even 7.8 does. The integration you can opt out is mostly about
synchronizing prefs. LMS would still talk to mysb.com to get your list
of installed apps etc.
--
Michael
Can you clarify all this?

If mysb is down, then the internet radio function would still work, or
not?

garym
2014-01-07 14:08:43 UTC
Post by castalla
Can you clarify all this?
If mysb is down, then the internet radio function would still work, or
not?
Yes, regular internet radio will still work.

*Location 1:* VortexBox 4TB (2.2) > LMS 7.8 > Transporter, Touch, Boom,
Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
*Location 2:* VBA 3TB (2.2) > LMS 7.7.2 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom,
Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
*Office:* Win7(64) > LMS 7.8 > SqueezePlay
*Spares:* VBA 4TB, SB3, Touch (3), Radio (3), CONTROLLER
*Controllers:* iPhone4S (iPeng), iPad2 (iPengHD & SqueezePad),
CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win7(64) laptop
Ripping (FLAC) - dbpoweramp, Tagging - mp3tag, Spotify
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=100711
Michael Herger
2014-01-07 14:10:29 UTC
Post by castalla
If mysb is down, then the internet radio function would still work, or
not?
Radio still would/should work. Haven't tested it in a while.
Michael
Steve Baumgarten
2014-01-07 17:10:44 UTC
Hmm. Thought I understood this, but maybe it's just a matter of rephrasing.

Let's assume mysb.com goes away.

At that point, assuming I'm using a recent 7.8 build, will the Tunein app on my Radio still function as expected?

I realize I can always save individual URLs as favorites, but Tunein itself provides very nice browsing functionality, access to saved favorites on your Tunein account, and station/program artwork. Michael, I had thought the work you did not too long ago was done expressly to handle this situation, making the app work through the locally running LMS 7.8 server rather than have it proxy through mysb.com. Is that correct?

SBB
garym

JJZolx
2014-01-07 19:15:42 UTC
I'm unfamiliar with TuneIn. I see that in the settings a plugin is
installed and enabled in the server. Where/how do you use it?

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=100711
Steve Baumgarten
2014-01-07 19:53:37 UTC
Tunein.com is a massive list of online streams. The Squeezebox app shows up for the Radio and iPeng, I'm guessing the Touch, less sure about other/older players. Provides access to Tunein.com through a nice menu-based GUI on the player. Tunein also sends back artwork for the player to display, similar to what you'd get on the web site or in the Tunein iOS/Andriod app.

SBB
JJZolx
2014-01-07 20:14:06 UTC
Post by Steve Baumgarten
Tunein.com is a massive list of online streams. The Squeezebox app shows
up for the Radio and iPeng, I'm guessing the Touch, less sure about
other/older players. Provides access to Tunein.com through a nice
menu-based GUI on the player. Tunein also sends back artwork for the
player to display, similar to what you'd get on the web site or in the
Tunein iOS/Andriod app.
Is there access to it from the web interface? I've found tunein.com, and
figured out that Radio > Local pulls its station list from TuneIn.

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=100711
kidstypike
2014-01-07 20:22:23 UTC
Post by JJZolx
Is there access to it from the web interface? I've found tunein.com, and
figured out that Radio > Local pulls its station list from TuneIn.
Yes, it's under "My Apps" on my LMS 7.8

|Filename: Pic01.jpg |
|Download: http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15452|

kidstypike
1xSB3 - 1xBoom - 1x(Squeezebox) Radio - 2xTouch
kidstypike's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=10436
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=100711
mherger
2014-01-07 20:28:53 UTC
Post by JJZolx
Is there access to it from the web interface? I've found tunein.com, and
figured out that Radio > Local pulls its station list from TuneIn.
TuneIn is the service providing the Internet Radio menu. If you have
used that menu, then you have used TuneIn already. By creating a TuneIn
account you can access your fav stations from all their implementations
(SB, smartphone, web etc.)

Michael

http://www.herger.net/slim-plugins - MusicArtistInfo, MusicInfoSCR,
Smart Mix
mherger's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=50
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=100711
JJZolx
2014-01-07 20:47:25 UTC
Post by mherger
TuneIn is the service providing the Internet Radio menu. If you have
used that menu, then you have used TuneIn already. By creating a TuneIn
account you can access your fav stations from all their implementations
(SB, smartphone, web etc.)
What then does the "Radio (v1.0)" plugin do?

Does Radio > Search also search TuneIn?

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=100711
Michael Herger
2014-01-08 06:51:16 UTC
Post by JJZolx
What then does the "Radio (v1.0)" plugin do?
All our music service implementations come with a small plugin to
interface LMS with our backend. It eg. provides hooks for LMS to get
metadata for a service.
Post by JJZolx
Does Radio > Search also search TuneIn?
Radio _IS_ TuneIn. The only difference to the app you find in the Apps
menu is that the latter would use the TuneIn icon and (not 100% sure
about that) on 7.7 it would show your TuneIn favorites menu.
Michael
Steve Baumgarten

toby10
2014-01-07 15:30:02 UTC
Post by Pascal Hibon
But these work without a mysqueezebox.com account. Also the
mysqueezebox.com integration is disabled on my systems, yet those menus
work.
Does it still use mysqueezebox.com in the background in that case?
Correct, no MySB.com account needed to use these Internet Radio menu's.
Never needed a MySB.com account for these to work. These are supplied
via TuneIn. I presume absent both MySB.com *and* LMS 7.8 these menus
will not work as this does use MySB.com in the background (portal to

pablolie
2014-01-08 19:33:13 UTC
I would hope that, if Logitech pulls the plug on msb.com, they would
release a final LMS version without hooks to it...

Even if they don't the SB work ok without SB access.

I don't listen to internet radio nor do I ever use msb.com, to me it is
always about streaming FLAC or MP3 files from computer to the SBen
around the house.

A while ago, I simple created an Ubuntu 12.04 VM with SBS on it - it is
the only thing the VM does. Everytime something goes halfway weird I can
always go and delete the current VM and spin up the original, clean OVA
file.

Hence, my only concern is at what point in time will VM Player stop
supporting Ubuntu 12.04, and whether I'll be able to then create a new
VM with SBS running on a supported Ubuntu version. I hope that is many,
many years out. :-)

...pablo
Server: Virtual Machine running Ubuntu 12.04 + LMS 7.7.3 on VMware
Player
System: SB Touch --optical->- Benchmark DAC2HGC --AnalysisPlus Oval
Copper XLR->- Creek Destiny Power Amp --AnalysisPlus Black Mesh Oval->-
KEF LS50
Other Rooms: 2x SB Boom; 1x SB Radio; 1x SB Classic-> AudioEngine5
pablolie's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=3816
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=100711