Thank you so much, and good bye :)
autopilot
2013-11-06 20:22:00 UTC
It makes me a little sad, well very sad actually, but its time for me to
move on and my Squeezeboxes have been sold.

Really I just wanted to say a huge thank you to the developers past and
present, the third party plugin creators, and the community as a whole.
Squeezebox changed my life in many ways, certainly the way I enjoyed
music. I personally think the Squeezebox 3/Classic is one of the best
consumer electronic devices ever made and remains a beautifully
aesthetically designed item even now. I have had some great times and a
lot of fun, especially during the beta testing of the Touch, Duet, which
I was very lucky to have been a part of.

It still remains a great system and I know the community will keep
things going forward. But it's not for me anymore. It always an
enthusiast device in a lot of ways, and with official support to come to
an end it's going to be even more niche. I just don't have the time to
tech support myself and constantly tweak things to keep it running now.
Last straw was an irate wife called me at work to try and get the a
touch working again.

It's just not for me anymore. I have less time to listen to much these
days, don't have an 'audiophile' system, and when I do use it needs to
just work. So in the meantime I'm going down the Apple route (I know,
know, but it's cheap and reliable) until the day I have more time and
money.

I always said that the Squeezebox was in general the best home audio
system available but it's not for everyone. I still stand by that, it's
just that I'm now in the 'not for everyone' category.

Things might have been different if logitech had not mismanaged and
ruined things so badly, but many thanks again to everyone who has helped
enrich me my music life so much over the last 8 years. It been an blast
:)

Cheers, auto.

*lounge:* squeezebox 3, squeezebox controller, cambridge audio 640a,
mission 701's *kitchen:* squeezebox touch, trends ta-10.1, kef cresta
1's. *bedroom:* squeezebox boom *bathroom/garden:* squeezebox radio
*car:* ipod classic 80gb *portable:* iphone 3gs 32gb (+ipeng)
autopilot's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=1763
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=100307
ModelCitizen
2013-11-06 20:28:21 UTC
From one old timer to another I have to say that your announcement has
saddened me. And also surprised me a little. My set up has been stable
for years. I never need to touch it, it just works.

Anyway. Good luck.

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known
Last.fm/user/ModelCitizen
ModelCitizen's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=446
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=100307
autopilot
2013-11-06 20:58:22 UTC
Thanks MC. Yes, it's not that unstable but it does require a certain
amount of maintenance. But that's not really the only reason, it's
partly financial. My use case does not match so much anymore. If I had
the money spare a decent NAS would have helped too.

I hope you get to enjoy your squeezebox system for many more years to
come :)

Otto-Wilhelm
2013-11-06 22:22:21 UTC
I can not understand this decision and the reasons stated.

An old PC with sufficient "power" is very cheap and allows very decent
Squeezebox/Logitech Server functionality. Another option are NAS
devices from Synology and similar which also provide decent
Squeezebox/Logitech Server functionality for reasonable costs.

I am using Apple devices as well, which - however - are not cheap at
all.

My Squeezebox/Logitech Server works very stable and I think that the
functionalites such as MusicIP are the best you can currently expect, so
that I bought a number of spare Squeezebox devices (1 Transporter,
plural Touch, plural Radio, plural Controller). I intend to stay with
Squeezebox for many many years.

Otto-Wilhelm's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=33332
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=100307
ModelCitizen
2013-11-06 22:47:51 UTC
Like Autopilot my usage has changed in the last decade (it's not that
long is it?). I now mostly use my system for listening to BBC Radio 4
(really!), although I do often play local music, various other internet
radio services, use MusicIP, synchronisation and various plugins.

Triode's iPlayer plugin and bpa's iPlayer extra plugin work are crucial
to my enjoyment of the system, and the debt of gratitude I have to these
two people is enormous.

I control the lot using the great Orange Squeeze from a Google Nexus 4
phone, 7 or 10 tablets (whichever is nearest) and have a variety of
players spread throughout the house, the garage and even a receiver in
my pole barn (I use repeating routers to extend my wireless network). I
have a Windows based PC upstairs running LMS 24/7. It is still my main
PC but I use it very little now as the tablets serve most of my needs.

And like I say it just works. I've still not seen any other system that
comes close. Even the expensive Sonos system is limited in comparison.
Mind you, I know nothing about the Apple stuff (and personally after
Apple screwed me over with too-quickly redundant iPhone 3 and volume
crippled iPod I'd never touch once of their products again).

Just thought I'd pipe up for the sake of balance. :-)

autopilot
2013-11-06 23:02:55 UTC
Post by Otto-Wilhelm
I can not understand this decision and the reasons stated.
An old PC with sufficient "power" is very cheap and allows very decent
Squeezebox/Logitech Server functionality. Another option are NAS
devices from Synology and similar which also provide decent
Squeezebox/Logitech Server functionality for reasonable costs.
I am using Apple devices as well, which - however - are not cheap at
all.
My Squeezebox/Logitech Server works very stable and I think that the
functionalites such as MusicIP are the best you can currently expect, so
that I bought a number of spare Squeezebox devices (1 Transporter,
plural Touch, plural Radio, plural Controller). I intend to stay with
Squeezebox for many many years.
Well I got an Apple TV and Airport express for what I sold my SB3 alone
for, and with external DACs are fine for my use. My SB3 was rarely used,
someone else can get more enjoyment off it now. The Apple TV will
provide netflix and GarageBand duties etc for the kids and the Airport
express means my wife can use the BBC iPlayer app in the kitchen
relatively trouble free.

I guess we are all different. I don't intend to use the Apple stuff
forever, I realise it's limitations. My life is in a state of flux and
one day when I have more funds I will be tracking down the Transporter I
always wanted.

As I said, it's a sad day and not a decision I took lightly. But it
makes sense to me right now. I really just wanted to say thanks for the
good times :)

Long live the Squeezebox.

Phil Meyer
2013-11-07 00:41:39 UTC
Post by autopilot
Thanks MC. Yes, it's not that unstable but it does require a certain
amount of maintenance.
The core LMS server has remained pretty stable for me for a long time, and I've always close to the bleeding edge, running from the latest server source code updates.
What sometimes goes unstable are plugins that lag behind server changes if you are on the bleeding edge. On-line services change and things like BBC Radio, radio station streams, etc often fail, but likely to be issues with any device that depends on internet resources?

So, if you don't want maintenance, stick with a known server version, avoid MySqueezeBox.com and bookmark your own internet radio streams.
dasmueller
2013-11-07 01:16:24 UTC
Sorry to see you go. Best of luck going forward with whatever you decide
to do.

dasmueller's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=38035
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=100307
pippin
2013-11-08 19:00:39 UTC
Well, the ridiculous thing is that I believe Logitech got better sales
of the Touch than they ever expected, they killed it because they
_thought_ it wouldn't sell and got caught by surprise when it did but it
was too late, they were already throwing all available resources at the
Google TV which they expected to sell while actually....

---
learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox
and
*New: Logitech UE Smart Radio* as well as iPeng Party, the free
Party-App,
at penguinlovesmusic.com
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=100307
ModelCitizen
2013-11-08 19:14:43 UTC
Yes, as we know Logitech were not a very bright or sophisticated company
and probably should have stuck to inanimates such as mouse, keyboards
and speakers. A more imaginative company might have done things very
differently.

JJZolx
2013-11-10 04:25:02 UTC
Post by pippin
Well, the ridiculous thing is that I believe Logitech got better sales
of the Touch than they ever expected, they killed it because they
_thought_ it wouldn't sell and got caught by surprise when it did but it
was too late, they were already throwing all available resources at the
Google TV which they expected to sell while actually....
I don't know how that's possible. They didn't kill the Touch in its
early days of release. It was sold for a significant period of time.

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=100307
ModelCitizen
2013-11-10 05:04:11 UTC
The development and support costs of the Squeezebox product line had to
have seemed astronomical in comparison to their traditional products
like mice, keyboards and PC speakers.
Yes and this, along with their failure to understand the strengths of
the product, led them to squander it.

I still think the Touch a silly confused device (yeah I know), the
receiver/conroller a very badly designed bizarre oddity (set up anyone?)
and Logitech's blind spot to the crucial nature of third party handhelds
as controllers completely stupid. The radio was brilliant though and
should have been used as a basis for a Boom II. A simple black box, no
screen, no knobs player and then an audiophile version would have been
good too. Very simple to produce an audiophile player and then sell with
astronomical audiophile markup (serves them right!), perhaps partnering
with respected small audiophile partner for branding.

Oh well. Easy in hindsight.

Mnyb
2013-11-10 07:00:21 UTC
One could greatly reduce the Touch's confused identity by .

1. Remove the built in server and just pretend that that never happened
:)
2. Use the freed up resources to make the USB an oficial ,audio output
.
( but I suspect this would have had to happen in the development state .
In reality maybe they had to use some other components for the USB. You
can see the heroic struggles in the EDO app tread to support all kind of
weird USB DAC's )

Yes it still has a display with I think is fine ,it serves it purposes
especially setup , which to be bomb proff must be done at the device not
even a built in web- UI setup in the product are that , even if duet
setup would have been 10000 times better if the reciever had a small
simple built in web-UI for the initial setup. And I like the to see the
track displayed on the player or the cover and sometimes I use the Touch
display for picking music too.

sub.
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
Misc use: Radio (with battery)
iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
(in storage SB3, reciever ,controller )

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=100307
ModelCitizen
2013-11-10 09:00:48 UTC
Yes it still has a display with I think is fine.
Display good, but including an expensive touch screen in a device
tethered to your hifi by short audio leads when almost anyone who would
be interested in buying it already had a smart phone, wireless network
and could buy a controller app for under $5 was a strange thing to do.

Mind you, if sales were that good......

aubuti
2013-11-10 14:23:58 UTC
Post by ModelCitizen
Display good, but including an expensive touch screen in a device
Except the touchscreen isn't expensive at all. Similar screens are on
every dime-a-dozen phone, GPS, etc. It may have seemed a lot fancier
than the VFD screens that had been used in previous SBs, but it was
actually a big cost saver in comparison.

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=100307
ModelCitizen
2013-11-10 15:19:32 UTC
You do need to factor in the programming required but the main point is
not the cost its the fact that the inclus