[ANNOUNCE] Playback comes to iPeng
pippin
2011-02-08 08:42:28 UTC
*Playback Comes to iPeng*
Here’s the first new release in 2011 and it brings you a
long-awaited functionality for iPeng: Playback.

*How Does it Work?*
iPeng Playback will make your iOS device show up on a Squeezebox Server
like any other Squeezebox Player and you control it just like that, too.

*What Does it Support*
iPeng Playback supports Squeezebox Server versions 7.3 and newer
(previous versions back to 7.0 might work but are untested).

It plays the following file formats natively (that means: on the device
itself):
• MP3
• AAC
• FLAC*)
• ALAC*)
WMA is supported but currently untested.

Other formats can be used if your server supports transcoding and can
encode them to FLAC. This depends on the available processing power and
the file format involved.

**) Cellular Network Operation*
When you use iPeng playback outside a WiFi network, over the cellular
network, the “lossless” formats FLAC and ALAC will not be
available to limit the bandwidth requirements. In this case, your
server will have to support transcoding to MP3, which generally
requires more processing power than FLAC encoding and you will have to
have the necessary encoding software installed.

*What are the Limitations?*
iPeng Playback does NOT work directly with MySqueezebox.com.

MySqueezebox.com is a service offered and run by Logitech in support of
their own hardware and Logitech had to get approval from all of their
content partners supported by it to use their services. This does not
cover use on iOS so it’s not possible for us right now to use
that service.
Also, I don’t believe this will be a big limitation since most of
the services available through MySqueezebox.com can already be used
through existing radio Apps for iOS or by the respective iOS Apps that
these services provide themselves.

I believe the biggest value of this feature lies in the capability to
use your own library on the iOS device without having to sync it to the
device.

*Do I Have to Pay for Playback?*
If you own only one iPeng version: yes.

Providing this capability along with continuing development of
iPeng’s users interfaces and other functionalities (there’s
a lot more exciting stuff coming up in 2011!) simply is too much work to
be ever done for free.

In this particular case I used an implementation by James Fearon,
who’s done all of the audio stuff and of course he wants to be
rewarded for his hard work, too. Especially given that this will
actually compete with his own App. I definitely can’t afford to
pay him for all the users who have already purchased iPeng in the past,
so this feature is only available as an “In App Purchase”.

*Get Playback for Free if You Own iPeng for iPhone and for iPad*
There’s one exception: Those users who bought both the iPhone and
the iPad version of iPeng can get the playback feature for free.

I regard this as a little “kickback” to true customers. As
I’ve written before, I would have loved to be able to give
discounts to those who purchase both Apps but due to the structure of
the App Store I can’t do that and I also could not afford to make
the iPad version a completely free update. So this is how I want to give
you a little delayed discount.

How do you get it?

1. Install both Apps (iPeng for iPhone and iPeng for iPad) on your
iPad. If you have not used iPeng for iPhone on your iPad: As long as
you are using the same iTunes account as for your original purchase on
iPhone or iPod, downloading it again on the iPad will be free; you can
generally use App Store purchases on several devices. This is also true
for In App Purchases (for the same App).
2. Start one of the Apps and go to “Settings->Enable
Playback->You own both iPeng for iPad and iPeng for iPhone? Get
Playback for free!”.
3. Press “Create Code”. This will create a voucher code
that is valid in the OTHER App. Note: this code will only be valid for
a limited time but you can create a new one at any time.
4. When the code shows up in the entry field at the top of the page,
“hold” the code text for a second and release to get the
popup menu, then select “Select” and “Copy” to
copy the code to the clipboard.
5. Leave the App and start the OTHER iPeng App on the iPad. Go to the
same menu and do the “hold” in the empty text field, then
select “Paste” from the popup menu.
6. Now press “Validate Code” and the playback feature will
be enabled. Enabling the feature in one App will enable it for both
Apps on that device.
7. Back Up your App Data with iTunes. We don’t guarantee that
this offer will be available in future versions of iPeng but once
enabled, Playback will stay activated.
8. If you want to use the feature on other iOS devices, too, you need
to first backup your App data on the iPad by synchronizing it with
iTunes. Then you have to restore your other iOS devices using the
backup you created from your iPad. This will work but you will have to
re-install Apps that are different to the ones on your iPad and you
will lose Music, Videos and other content stored on the second device
in the process. I know this is complicated but we currently don’t
have a different idea about how to solve it; the App Store only restores
purchases that actually have been done through it.

It's now on the App Store and as usual: Have Fun With iPeng!

--
pippin

---
see iPeng, the Squeezebox iPhone remote and
*New: iPeng for iPad*, at penguinlovesmusic.com
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502
kesey
2011-02-08 09:21:01 UTC
Well done Coolio, you've put a lot of effort into chasing pippin around
the room to get Playback for iPeng up and running:-) I'm looking
forward to using it.

--
kesey

Squeezebox Classic:2; Duet: 1; Boom:1; Touch:1
Server: SheevaPlug Debian Squeeze 4GB SDCard, Squeezepad, iPeng, iPeng
for Ipad : "a pint of plain is your only man", Squeezeboxserver 7.6.0 -
latest nightly
kesey's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=10786
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502
Gazjam
2011-02-08 09:31:42 UTC
Hi Pippin,
Playback is a killer feature - well done!

I use Ipeng on my Touch though and dont own an Ipad.
How do I get playback on my Ipod Touch only?

thanks.

--
Gazjam
Gazjam's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=18604
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502
pippin
2011-02-08 09:42:12 UTC
Gazjam;609232 Wrote:
> Hi Pippin,
> Playback is a killer feature - well done!
>
> I use Ipeng on my Touch though and dont own an Ipad.
> How do I get playback on my Ipod Touch only?
>

> thanks.

Update iPeng to 1.3 and then you can purchase it through the
"Settings->Enable Playback" menu option.
It's currently being rolled out on the App Store so might not yet be
available in all countries (although I do already see it in Germany
which is usually rather late) but will show up sometimes today.

--
pippin

---
see iPeng, the Squeezebox iPhone remote and
*New: iPeng for iPad*, at penguinlovesmusic.com
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502
chill
2011-02-08 09:55:44 UTC
Hi Pippin

This is fantastic - it's a feature I've been looking forward to for a
long time.

I'm quite happy to pay the additional £2.99 for this on my iPhone, and
I expect this is the best way to do it in my case, because the iPad
version that I've bought was a gift purchase for my wife's iPad. But
can you just clarify - if I start the iPad version on my wife's iPad,
create the voucher code and then enter the voucher code in my iPhone
version will that work? I suspect not because our iPad version is
associated with my wife's iTunes account, even though the funds for the
iTunes gift purchase came from mine. Assuming this wouldn't work, would
I then have to pay another £2.99 to get playback on the iPad version as
well?

--
chill
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502
pippin
2011-02-08 10:00:57 UTC
chill;609238 Wrote:
> Hi Pippin
>
> This is fantastic - it's a feature I've been looking forward to for a
> long time.
>
> I'm quite happy to pay the additional £2.99 for this on my iPhone, and
> I expect this is the best way to do it in my case, because the iPad
> version that I've bought was a gift purchase for my wife's iPad. But
> can you just clarify - if I start the iPad version on my wife's iPad,
> create the voucher code and then enter the voucher code in my iPhone
> version will that work? I suspect not because our iPad version is
> associated with my wife's iTunes account, even though the funds for the
> iTunes gift purchase came from mine. Assuming this wouldn't work, would
> I then have to pay another £2.99 to get playback on the iPad version as
> well?

Both Apps have to run on the same device. If they do, this will work,
if they don't it will not.
Sorry, but iTunes purchases are always bound to the account, that's
something I can't get out of and my mechanism only works on the same
device as I can't access the iTunes account directly.
It's also not possible to sell one in-app-purchase from two Apps.

I'm also not perfectly happy with it but it's a result of the "keep it
simple" approach of the App Store which DOES have it's benefits as
well.

--
pippin

---
see iPeng, the Squeezebox iPhone remote and
*New: iPeng for iPad*, at penguinlovesmusic.com
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502
Gazjam
2011-02-08 10:07:01 UTC
have a problem with the new version?

I updated it via appstore to V1.3 through my Touch and it constantly
crashed back to the home screen.

Did a hard reset - same thing, got as far as the splash screen (without
the christmas hat!) then crashed.

I uninstalled IPENG, then reinstalled but the problem still exists.

It DOES get a bit further to the "welcome" screen...but then it crashes
again.
Any ideas Pippin?

For info: Ipod Touch running OS 4.2.1 (8C148) on an Ipod Touch 2G
MB525BT

thanks.

chill
2011-02-08 10:08:55 UTC
OK, understood. £2.99 is a small price to pay for this feature. I'm
happy to avoid all the iTunes shenanigans anyway!

--
chill
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502
pippin
2011-02-08 10:46:48 UTC
SHIT!!!

Looks like the FLAC library is not compiled for arm7, this is what's
causing the crash on all iPod touch 1G, 2G, iPhone 1 and 3G devices.
I'll try to fasttrack an update with Apple.

This is kind of a messy thing: You can't test the App Store builds
because they require an Apple signature to run and in all my other
build settings this was OK.
What good is the damn App Store review process if - after almost two
weeks - they don't even find basic incompatibilities like that.

--
pippin

---
see iPeng, the Squeezebox iPhone remote and
*New: iPeng for iPad*, at penguinlovesmusic.com
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502
Gazjam
2011-02-08 11:17:41 UTC
thanks Pippin.
(and sorry! :))

pippin
2011-02-08 11:31:00 UTC
Gazjam;609262 Wrote:
> thanks Pippin.
> (and sorry! :))

Not your fault, you are the one who's got the annoyance.
It's my fault but I hate that it's
a) so hard to find and
b) so hard to change since I can't just fix it.

Apple installed that review process to assure quality but in cases like
this it just has the opposite effect: They did not test it for this, I
could not before submission and now I have to re-submit it to them for
testing to get the problem fixed although it's something I can do
_here_ in 5 minutes.

But at least they do have a fast-track approval process for cases like
this, let's see how fast it is. The one time I used it before they
approved within 24h.

--
pippin

---
see iPeng, the Squeezebox iPhone remote and
*New: iPeng for iPad*, at penguinlovesmusic.com
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502
Gazjam
2011-02-08 12:12:32 UTC
pippin;609265 Wrote:
> Not your fault, you are the one who's got the annoyance.
> It's my fault but I hate that it's
> a) so hard to find and
> b) so hard to change since I can't just fix it.
>
> Apple installed that review process to assure quality but in cases like
> this it just has the opposite effect: They did not test it for this, I
> could not before submission and now I have to re-submit it to them for
> testing to get the problem fixed although it's something I can do
> _here_ in 5 minutes.
>
> But at least they do have a fast-track approval process for cases like
> this, let's see how fast it is. The one time I used it before they
> approved within 24h.

Understood.
Thanks for your efforts. Having playback is well worth waiting for and
I'm sure you'll fix it through as soon as you can.

just a glitch ;)

PietB
2011-02-08 13:44:41 UTC

--
PietB
PietB's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=39880
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502
Jeff Flowerday
2011-02-08 14:00:57 UTC
So to get free playback in iPeng on my iPhone, I have to restore the
iPad backup to my iPhone?

This doesn't sound quite right to me. I'm a little concerned it's
going to mess with settings that I may or may not have different on the
devices.

--
Jeff Flowerday
Jeff Flowerday's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=15883
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502
pippin
2011-02-08 14:10:02 UTC
Jeff Flowerday;609315 Wrote:
> So to get free playback in iPeng on my iPhone, I have to restore the
> iPad backup to my iPhone?
>
> This doesn't sound quite right to me. I'm a little concerned it's
> going to mess with settings that I may or may not have different on the
> devices.

It works, I have tried it. But it will remove all Apps that are
different.

It doesn't sound right to me either yet I haven't found a different
way.
The only other solution I came up with was to set up an online service
an require registration with it. For all users. I did not want to do
_that_.

--
pippin

---
see iPeng, the Squeezebox iPhone remote and
*New: iPeng for iPad*, at penguinlovesmusic.com
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502
Jeff Flowerday
2011-02-08 14:25:05 UTC
pippin;609320 Wrote:
> It works, I have tried it. But it will remove all Apps that are
> different.
>
> It doesn't sound right to me either yet I haven't found a different
> way.
> The only other solution I came up with was to set up an online service
> an require registration with it. For all users. I did not want to do
> _that_.

Yah, I don't want it removing apps that are different. I'd rather pay
the $5 and know that iTunes will take care of it on my phone. iPad I
don't care about as much.

norderney
2011-02-09 18:40:10 UTC
Can I just confirm I have an iPhone 3GS. Does the "do not download iPeng
from App store" apply to the 3GS too? In the app store it just says do
not download on iPhone 1 and 3G. But did not mention 3GS model?

--
norderney

Transporter (Black) - Arcam A85 Amp - B&W CDM1NT Speakers - Yamaha
CDRHD1500 Recorder

http://www.last.fm/user/norderney1962
norderney's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=378
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502
erland
2011-02-09 19:15:59 UTC
What about VPN tunneling ?

I have a PPTP VPN server at home and the iPhone4 can connect to it and
I can access my internal network via Mobile Safari. When I connect
iPeng I also see all the players and can browse my library, but when I
try to play something it behaves similar to Spotify, it just changes
the Play icon to Pause button in Now Playing screen but there is no
audio.

--
erland

(Developer of 'many plugins/applets'
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/User:Erland). If my answer
helped you and you like to encourage future presence on this forum
and/or third party plugin/applet development, 'donations are always
appreciated' (http://erland.isaksson.info/donate))
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502
kmccourt
2011-02-09 19:53:53 UTC
I have it working on an IPsec VPN over 3G with no problems on an iPhone
4 and an iPad.

Brilliant stuff. Thanks for the upgrade.

--
kmccourt
kmccourt's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=3815
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502
gharris999
2011-02-09 20:05:38 UTC
Pippin: thank you so much for implementing this feature. I can report
that it's working very well on both my iPad and on my 3rd gen iPod
Touch. I went ahead and did the in-app purchase on the Touch even
though I own both apps. I don't mind pushing a little spare change
your way for such a significant new feature.

I listened to a flaced recording of Messiaen's "La Navitité" last night
using iPeng, the iPod touch and some Etymotic ER-4 ear phones. It
sounded pretty damn good. Gapless playback, when it comes, will be
nice.

One thing I noticed: when I control iPeng's playlist via SBS's webUI
from a computer, iPeng's player controls become non-responsive. I had
to clear iPeng's playlist from the webUI on the other machine before I
could regain control.

Doing a very quick, totally subjective comparison between the
Touch+iPeng vs. a SBController (7.6 r9307) using beta audio playback,
listening to the same content and using the Etymotics for both....I'd
say the Touch sounds fairly comparable...with the SBC maybe winning in
terms of reproduction accuracy and dynamic range. That has nothing to
do with iPeng, of course...that's the underlying hardware...that and
the vagaries of my 53-year-old ears.

I'll be interested to hear what other folks think on that score. Is
iPeng's playback affected by the Touch's Settings->Audio->EQ?

In terms of ease of use, there's no comparison. iPeng wins hands down.
Using your UI has become 2nd nature to me.

Anyway, great job...thanks again, and I'll be eagerly awaiting further
updates.

--
gharris999
gharris999's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=115
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502
Relayer35
2011-02-09 20:19:22 UTC
This is a nice feature. The remote streaming is nice. I already have
similar apps that do this, Zumocast (which everything passes through
their server, so you're always dependent on it being up), Subsonic
(which is nice, unless you want to fast forward through a song), and
Audiogalaxy (which was crap). This would be a welcome alternative,
especially considering that I already have three Squeezebox's and their
would be no additional overhead as I load the Squeezcenter software
anyway.

So, I splurged and paid the $5, and have to say I'm very disappointed.
It seems buggy as hell. I am using this on an iPhone 4. I had to close
out iPeng three times by double clicking the home button and holding
down the icon and closing it. When it did play, it was okay, but the
screen kept blinking on me, and the WiFi selection would constantly pop
up, (I was at work, and can't use their WiFi despite the fact it was
detected). I paused it to make a phone call, but when I switched back,
it did not keep my place in the song, instead I had to start all over
(and of course it didn't play the first time, requiring me to close out
the app again). What happens is it looks like it is playing for about 30
seconds, but no sound comes out, then it just stops.

I also have a general question about which ports need to be forwarded.
Both the 3483 and the one I have for the interface xxxx? I'd rather
change the external ports, and map them to the 3483 and xxxx. But it
looked like in the app I could set the server address, but there was no
way to reassign the xxxx. Am I missing something? Some detailed
instructions on how this all works would be welcome. Also, is there a
way to secure the connection. I read something about setting up a
password, but would that be for all the Squeezeboxes?

I understand this is your first shot at this, but since you are
charging actual money for this feature, I shouldn't have to be a beta
tester. The streaming is very buggy, and at this point in time,
unusable.

--
Relayer35
Relayer35's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=5255
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502
maggior
2011-02-09 20:26:34 UTC
gharris999;609812 Wrote:
> Doing a very quick, totally subjective comparison between the
> Touch+iPeng vs. a SBController (7.6 r9307) using beta audio playback,
> listening to the same content and using the Etymotics for both....I'd
> say the Touch sounds fairly comparable...with the SBC maybe winning in
> terms of reproduction accuracy and dynamic range. That has nothing to
> do with iPeng, of course...that's the underlying hardware...that and
> the vagaries of my 53-year-old ears.
>
> I'll be interested to hear what other folks think on that score. Is
> iPeng's playback affected by the Touch's Settings->Audio->EQ?

I've made use of the playback feature on the SBC and I'm surprised by
your assessment. Granted, I haven't used the most current FW since I'm
still on 7.5.0. My headphones are a pair for Grado SR-225s. I found
that I could hear some background noise on the controller during
quieter passages; on the iPod Touch (64 GB 3G running current iOS) I've
never encountered that, either with mp3s loaded on it or FLACS played
through squeezecast/iPeng.

Both have a sound quality that is more than acceptable to me, but there
is that one difference I could hear. Interesting how you have a
different experience. Perhaps it has something to do with the
headphones.

--
maggior

Rich
---------
Setup: 2 SB3s, 4 Booms, 1 Duet, 1 Receiver, 1 Touch, iPeng on iPod
Touch. SuSE 11.0 Server running SqueezeBoxServer 7.5.0, MusicIP, and
SqueezeSlave.
Current library stats: 33,696 songs, 2,720 albums, 499 artists.
http://www.last.fm/user/maggior
maggior's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=9080
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502
pippin
2011-02-09 20:55:14 UTC
erland;609772 Wrote:
> Triode's Spotify plugin doesn't seem to be able to stream audio, the
> progress meter is moving but no audio in the iPad speaker, music from
> my local library works great. SqueezePad is able to play Spotify nicely
> on the same iPad, but I know it also had problems initially.
>
> Of course, it's not really critical since I can use the official
> iPad/iPhone Spotify app to play Spotify, but...

I'll look whether it'S something obvious and ask Adrian about it but
since I got an explicit "Don't Do This" from Spotify on playing their
content I'm not going to do anything specific like adding un-DRMing or
something.

norderney;609780 Wrote:
> Can I just confirm I have an iPhone 3GS. Does the "do not download iPeng
> from App store" apply to the 3GS too? In the app store it just says do
> not download on iPhone 1 and 3G. But did not mention 3GS model?

3GS works fine.

gharris999;609812 Wrote:

> One thing I noticed: when I control iPeng's playlist via SBS's webUI
> from a computer, iPeng's player controls become non-responsive. I had
> to clear iPeng's playlist from the webUI on the other machine before I
> could regain control.

I'll check whether this helps to reproduce some of the issues some
people report. Thanks!

Relayer35;609815 Wrote:
> I had to close out iPeng three times by double clicking the home button
> and holding down the icon and closing it.

Is there anything you can reproduce that could cause this.
I have seen this a few times, too, now but for me it _only_ happened on
startup and I didn't find anything specific, yet.

Could it be you lost the network connection?

> but the screen kept blinking on me, and the WiFi selection would
> constantly pop up, (I was at work, and can't use their WiFi despite the
> fact it was detected).

Could it be you are having spotty reception?
I know the communication behavior can be improved and that's actually
prio 1 we are working on right now but there's really no way I can
influence the popup, that's purely an iOS thing and usually happens
when the communication over 3G gets lost before it reconnects (it tries
WiFi first).

> I also have a general question about which ports need to be forwarded.
> Both the 3483 and the one I have for the interface xxxx? I'd rather
> change the external ports, and map them to the 3483 and xxxx. But it
> looked like in the app I could set the server address, but there was no
> way to reassign the xxxx. Am I missing something? Some detailed
> instructions on how this all works would be welcome. Also, is there a
> way to secure the connection. I read something about setting up a
> password, but would that be for all the Squeezeboxes?

You need to forward port 3483, both TCP and UDP and the UI port needs
to be the same externally as internally. The latter is a SlimProto
thing, your SB won't work otherwise, too.
It could be avoided but then you have to make it just too dependent on
the UI control communication.

If you want to configure a server with a different port than 9000 you
do it as:
http://youraddress.com:xxxx
And yes, THAT IS written in the documentation. Since a year or so.
http://penguinlovesmusic.de/ipeng-the-iphone-skin-for-squeezecenter/how-to-use-the-ipeng-application/setup-and-configuration/

--
pippin

---
see iPeng, the Squeezebox iPhone remote and
*New: iPeng for iPad*, at penguinlovesmusic.com
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502
Relayer35
2011-02-09 21:08:20 UTC
pippin;609835 Wrote:

> Is there anything you can reproduce that could cause this.
> I have seen this a few times, too, now but for me it _only_ happened on
> startup and I didn't find anything specific, yet.
>
> Could it be you lost the network connection?

No. I have a very strong signal where I am and have had no issue
connecting to anything, including the other streaming apps I mentioned

> Could it be you are having spotty reception?
> I know the communication behavior can be improved and that's actually
> prio 1 we are working on right now but there's really no way I can
> influence the popup, that's purely an iOS thing and usually happens
> when the communication over 3G gets lost before it reconnects (it tries
> WiFi first).

This behavior doesn't exist with the other apps. It might ask once when
I launch an app, and Google Maps has a habit of having the wifi menu pop
up as I'm driving, but its a different situation as it is detecting a
different network. This is the same network over and over again, and
occurs almost every time I select anything from an iPeng screen.

> You need to forward port 3483, both TCP and UDP and the UI port needs
> to be the same externally as internally. The latter is a SlimProto
> thing, your SB won't work otherwise, too.
> It could be avoided but then you have to make it just too dependent on
> the UI control communication.
>
> If you want to configure a server with a different port than 9000 you
> do it as:
> http://youraddress.com:xxxx
> And yes, THAT IS written in the documentation. Since a year or so.
> http://penguinlovesmusic.de/ipeng-the-iphone-skin-for-squeezecenter/how-to-use-the-ipeng-application/setup-and-configuration/

I had set it up with 3483 and 9000 forwarded, both TCP and UDP, so I
know that wasn't the cause of my other issues. I was just wondering if
I could change the external address of those ports, and use my router
to map them to 3483 & 9000. I am able to do this with other server type
apps without issue.

pippin
2011-02-09 21:45:35 UTC
Relayer35;609842 Wrote:
> I was just wondering if I could change the external address of those
> ports, and use my router to map them to 3483 & 9000. I am able to do
> this with other server type apps without issue.

I know. But SlimProto (the Squeezebox protocol) sends the port number
to be used on various occasions and it always uses the server port.
We could override this on the player side but this would mean ruling
through various layers of control and sounds like trouble. It's just
too many things that can go wrong with that.

It's how the Squeezebox System currently works, SBs wont work with the
redirection either.

--
pippin

---
see iPeng, the Squeezebox iPhone remote and
*New: iPeng for iPad*, at penguinlovesmusic.com
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502
gharris999
2011-02-09 21:20:42 UTC
maggior;609819 Wrote:
> Interesting how you have a different experience. Perhaps it has
> something to do with the headphones.
..or those 53-year-old ears and a growing case of tinnitus.

mkt
2011-02-09 21:52:57 UTC
BTW, this is the easiest way that I've seen to play flac on an
ipod/iphone. Given the age of my listening equipment (ears), I never
thought it would make a difference to me, but the difference between
flac and v2 mp3 is noticeable.

Thanks again!

--
mkt
mkt's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=14921
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502
Jeff Flowerday
2011-02-09 22:04:29 UTC
mkt;609851 Wrote:
> BTW, this is the easiest way that I've seen to play flac on an
> ipod/iphone. Given the age of my listening equipment (ears), I never
> thought it would make a difference to me, but the difference between
> flac and v2 mp3 is noticeable.
>
> Thanks again!

I'm glad I decided to do a v0 mp3 library for my portable devices. I
struggled to hear difference between them and lossless on my iPhone 4
with Shure 535s.

sksimer
2011-02-09 22:20:46 UTC
I have an iPhone 3GS and can not get the new iPeng version to work. It
begins to load but then crashes back to the main screen.

I was lucky enough to have the 1.2.10 release and loaded that back onto
my iPhone. Waiting for the all clear and then will gladly pay the extra
for this significant app update.

--
sksimer
sksimer's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=21630
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502
pippin
2011-02-10 00:09:45 UTC
A 3GS, not a 3G?
This should work on the 3GS!

--
pippin

---
see iPeng, the Squeezebox iPhone remote and
*New: iPeng for iPad*, at penguinlovesmusic.com
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502
pippin
2011-02-10 09:01:54 UTC
Dear Users!

Apple has been very fast and supportive on this and so we've now got
the 1.3.1 update of iPeng for iPhone in the App Store which fixes the
crash on startup experienced with iPhone 1 and 3G and iPod touch
generations 1 and 2 in iPeng 1.3.

Sorry for the inconvenience involved and have fun with iPeng!

--
pippin

---
see iPeng, the Squeezebox iPhone remote and
*New: iPeng for iPad*, at penguinlovesmusic.com
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502
Mnyb
2011-02-10 09:17:45 UTC
Playback works great :) Thankyou .

The tiny price asked is nothing to fuzz about great work.

Btw Squeezeboxserver can not distinguish between iPeng or SqueezePad's
player so the playlist's is inherited .

I have not decided if it a feature or a bug. I'm leaning on feature as
I do not suffer from split personality disorder and I'm not in need off
two distinct set off playlist in each app on my personal iPad ,(not
shared with someone else).
(I think sbs use mac to tell players apart ,all players not only hw
squeezeboxes ?) .

I shall now compare the the sound of the 2 apps ;) I will have the iPad
on cones of-course but which mode give best sound landscape or portrait
?

--
Mnyb

sub.
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: SB3 + powered Fostex PM0.4
Misc use: Radio (with battery)
iPad 64gB wifi +3g with iPengHD & SqueezePad
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502
Gazjam
2011-02-10 09:29:46 UTC
pippin;609926 Wrote:
> Dear Users!
>
> Apple has been very fast and supportive on this and so we've now got
> the 1.3.1 update of iPeng for iPhone in the App Store which fixes the
> crash on startup experienced with iPhone 1 and 3G and iPod touch
> generations 1 and 2 in iPeng 1.3.
>
> Sorry for the inconvenience involved and have fun with iPeng!

RESULT! :)

Thanks Pippin..

pippin
2011-02-10 09:30:08 UTC
Mnyb;609927 Wrote:

> (I think sbs use mac to tell players apart ,all players not only hw
> squeezeboxes ?) .

precisely :)

> I shall now compare the the sound of the 2 apps ;) I will have the iPad
> on cones of-course but which mode give best sound landscape or portrait
> ?

But my patented byte-left-rotator is not yet in there!
That will probably another 200$ In-App-Purchase.
The difference should be worth it.

--
pippin

---
see iPeng, the Squeezebox iPhone remote and
*New: iPeng for iPad*, at penguinlovesmusic.com
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502
Rick B.
2011-02-10 13:17:32 UTC
Thanks a lot for this, Pippin. I have purchased the upgrade for my iPod
Touch.

I'm not very techie savvy - for the life of me, I can't figure out how
to make Playback work!

Are their instructions anywhere?

Thanks,

--
Rick B.
Rick B.'s Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=8973
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502
pippin
2011-02-10 13:39:37 UTC
Hm, I thought that was pretty straightforward:
1. You go to Settings->Enable Playback
2. You purchase the Playback feature
3. If that succeeds (the App Store transaction) you should the be
broght back to the home menu.
4. Now you have an additional player in your list of players which
works just like the other Squeezeboxes.

--
pippin

---
see iPeng, the Squeezebox iPhone remote and
*New: iPeng for iPad*, at penguinlovesmusic.com
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502
Rick B.
2011-02-10 14:22:25 UTC
pippin;609972 Wrote:
> Hm, I thought that was pretty straightforward:
> 1. You go to Settings->Enable Playback
> 2. You purchase the Playback feature
> 3. If that succeeds (the App Store transaction) you should the be
> broght back to the home menu.
> 4. Now you have an additional player in your list of players which
> works just like the other Squeezeboxes.

Thanks, I'm in! Best 5 bucks I've ever spent!

Nothing is straightforward to me...

SteveEast
2011-02-10 15:49:03 UTC
I don't really need this feature, but it's so cool I just had to buy it.
Thanks!

Steve.

--
SteveEast

Home: 3*SB3 (1 dead), 1*Touch, 1*Boom, 4*Radio running 7.5.1 on Acer
Aspire easyStore H340 WHS.
Cabin: 1*Touch running 7.5.0 on itself.
SteveEast's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=4193
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502
m1abrams
2011-02-10 16:13:21 UTC
What bitrate to you transcode FLAC to mp3 at when streaming over 3g?

I am getting a stop and go playback and I suspect it is due to not
enough throughput and might benefit by cutting back on the bitrate.

--
m1abrams
m1abrams's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=850
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502
browellm
2011-02-10 16:45:06 UTC
Are there any material differences between the two competing playback on
ipad systems? I have both Squeezepad and iPeng for iPad. I already
enabled playback via Squeezepad.

--
browellm

Modwright Transporter >> Kondo M7 >>Red Wine Signature 70.2 >>
Avantgarde Uno Nano

http://www.last.fm/user/browellm
browellm's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=14260
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502
bluegaspode
2011-02-10 17:02:00 UTC
browellm;610024 Wrote:
> Are there any material differences between the two competing playback on
> ipad systems? I have both Squeezepad and iPeng for iPad. I already
> enabled playback via Squeezepad.

Differences how I see them (pippin please add)

As of today iPeng supports native FLAC decoding (SqueezePad right now
streams them as pcm or mp3), experimental WMA decoding (won't be a
feature in SqueezePad) and synchronisation already works most of the
time.
pippin also had a good idea to detect if people use 3G and then forces
the server to trancode to mp3 automatically (will follow in SqueezePad
:D ).
In SqueezePad right now you would need to activate bitrate limiting on
the server for better 3G performance of lossless formats.

SqueezePad is able to stream Spotify (when using triodes plugin).

As of tomorrow a new SqueezePad version arrives on your AppStore and
will
- also feature native FLAC decoding
- feature gapless playback (not available in iPeng - yet)
- synchronisation among devices as well

In one, two or three month I guess both will have exactly the same
feature set and if there are any quirks left they will be solved in
both.
This is not an area where we can compete much regarding quality I
think.

Music is Music in the end (and only some Audiophiles will tell us soon
how the music can be improved with interesting tricks).
I'm waiting for the day someone announces that the audio from the iPad
does sound better than that from the Touch though :)

--
bluegaspode

Big Screen for great Boxes available now at your AppStore: *'Squeezebox
+ iPad = SqueezePad ' (www.squeezepad.com)* - -now featuring streaming
to iPad!-
Want to see a Weather Forecast on your Radio/Touch/Controller ? => why
not try my 'Weather Forecast Applet'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=73827)
Want to use the Headphones with your Controller ? => why not try my
'Headphone Switcher Applet'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=67139)

Setup: 1x SB-Controller+Receiver (Duet), 1xSB-Boom. 2xSB-Radio
Server (7.5.x) running on SheevaPlug (Ubuntu) with attached Western
Digital MyBook Essential.
bluegaspode's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=31651
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502
pippin
2011-02-10 17:21:36 UTC
bluegaspode;610027 Wrote:

> pippin also had a good idea to detect if people use 3G and then forces
> the server to trancode to mp3 automatically (will follow in SqueezePad
> :D ).

You definitely should do that. Apple throws Apps out of the store for
not doing this if they find out!

> SqueezePad is able to stream Spotify (when using triodes plugin).

How do you do that? The plugin transcodes, that's what I understand,
but why doesn't that work in iPeng, too? It does work with Napster.

> In one, two or three month I guess both will have exactly the same
> feature set and if there are any quirks left they will be solved in
> both.

Yep. That's what I believe, too.

> Music is Music in the end (and only some Audiophiles will tell us soon
> how the music can be improved with interesting tricks).
> I'm waiting for the day someone announces that the audio from the iPad
> does sound better than that from the Touch though :)
Be careful.
I just burned my moth in soundcheck's thread so right now you might be
ahead for avid audiophiles, don't destroy that advantage!

--
pippin

---
see iPeng, the Squeezebox iPhone remote and
*New: iPeng for iPad*, at penguinlovesmusic.com
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502
bluegaspode
2011-02-10 18:03:30 UTC
pippin;610034 Wrote:
> How do you do that? The plugin transcodes, that's what I understand, but
> why doesn't that work in iPeng, too? It does work with Napster.
wrote you a mail.

> Be careful.
> I just burned my moth in soundcheck's thread so right now you might be
> ahead for avid audiophiles, don't destroy that advantage!

Nah - we are all grown up (I think).
I'm a programmer who doesn't believe in certain things and those who
hear the differences need to defend their position often against us
nonbelievers anyway. That's part of the game and we all have fun with
this I guess.
As long as you and me is allowed to write/discuss their beliefs as
users of this forum everything is fine.
That both of us are stubborn not only when talking about our Apps
people should have realized already.

nolan
2011-02-10 20:29:34 UTC
I just enabled playback for my iPhone as well as my iPad (paid as I
figured £2.99 was less than my time is worth to restore my phone and
get it back how I like it).

Works great at work to listen to my music at home. For the people
having problems, make sure you have the port forwarding right on your
router (9000 TCP/IP and 3483 TCP/IP & UDP). I spent an hour wondering
my my iPhone wasn't showing up as a player before I realised I'd
transposed two of the digits in on of the port numbers!

--
nolan
nolan's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=7440
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502
pippin
2011-02-10 22:44:04 UTC
OK, for all of you who wonder how to set up remote playback I've written
up a (not so) small blog post on the topic:
http://penguinlovesmusic.de/2011/02/11/coolios-guide-to-remote-playback/

--
pippin

---
see iPeng, the Squeezebox iPhone remote and
*New: iPeng for iPad*, at penguinlovesmusic.com
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502
bluegaspode
2011-02-10 23:25:21 UTC
pippin;610174 Wrote:
> OK, for all of you who wonder how to set up remote playback I've written
> up a (not so) small blog post on the topic:
> http://penguinlovesmusic.de/2011/02/11/coolios-guide-to-remote-playback/

Damn - wanted to do that all the time in my blog as well :)
Now I need to wait some time until you won't realize that I will copy
most of your text in the future *g* ...

Why do you forward 3483 UDP? Isn't UDP only used for server-detection
(which doesn't make sense from the outside, when port 9000 is forwarded
to a specific server anyway?)

pippin
2011-02-11 00:00:10 UTC
bluegaspode;610195 Wrote:

> Why do you forward 3483 UDP? Isn't UDP only used for server-detection
> (which doesn't make sense from the outside, when port 9000 is forwarded
> to a specific server anyway?)

I thought so, too. But at least my SBs didn't work without UDP, will
have to try it with iPeng and see how that works.

--
pippin

---
see iPeng, the Squeezebox iPhone remote and
*New: iPeng for iPad*, at penguinlovesmusic.com
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502
chill
2011-02-11 00:09:17 UTC
pippin;610174 Wrote:
> OK, for all of you who wonder how to set up remote playback I've written
> up a (not so) small blog post on the topic:
> http://penguinlovesmusic.de/2011/02/11/coolios-guide-to-remote-playback/

Good advice Pippin, but I just wanted to chip in and recommend the VPN
route. Having experimented with it this evening I now have it running
on my Mac Mini SBS host. The beauty of this method is that turning on
the VPN is a single click/tap on the iPhone, and then your normal
internal IP address of your SBS host is the same as if you were on your
own LAN - no need to specify a different server IP address.

--
chill
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502
erland
2011-02-11 00:23:00 UTC
chill;610204 Wrote:
> Good advice Pippin, but I just wanted to chip in and recommend the VPN
> route.

Have you got audio playback to work over VPN ?

I tried yesterday and didn't get any sound but maybe it was a bandwidth
issue on my side. Connecting to the server and browsing worked great, it
was just the playback that didn't work.

chill
2011-02-11 00:28:53 UTC
erland;610207 Wrote:
> Have you got audio playback to work over VPN ?
>
> I tried yesterday and didn't get any sound but maybe it was a bandwidth
> issue on my side. Connecting to the server and browsing worked great, it
> was just the playback that didn't work.

Yes, playback worked fine. I have setup bandwidth limiting for my iPeng
player (128k), so that may be it, although I understand that iPeng
switches to MP3 transcoding anyway for 3G connections. My connection is
3G and I had 5 bars of signal strength at the time of testing.

--
chill
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502
chill
2011-02-11 14:40:19 UTC
chill;610208 Wrote:
> ...although I understand that iPeng switches to MP3 transcoding anyway
> for 3G connections.

After re-reading Pippin's announcement in the first post of this thread
I realise that the switch to MP3 transcoding is NOT part of iPeng, and
you have to configure it. I guess some sort of bespoke configuration
can be set up so that MP3 and AAC files are not needlessly transcoded,
but for my needs the bandwidth limiting feature, which ensures that
anything over 128k is transcoded to 128k MP3, seems fine.

I experimented further and set up a DynDNS account, so that now my
iPhone's VPN connection can reference an unchanging address. I can't
get over how cool it is to be able to play music from my home server
wherever I am.

This VPN option also opens up other possibilities which I'm only now
starting to explore - iPeng just gave me the nudge that I needed. For
example, I have AirVideo also running on my SBS host, so it should be
possible to watch my iTunes movies without syncing them to my iPhone.
I guess the bandwidth for video will be a problem, but in an airport or
hotel with decent wifi it might work OK.

--
chill
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502
pippin
2011-02-11 15:34:45 UTC
chill;610327 Wrote:
> After re-reading Pippin's announcement in the first post of this thread
> I realise that the switch to MP3 transcoding is NOT part of iPeng, and
> you have to configure it.

Nonono. iPeng DOES switch to MP3 transcoding if you use cellular, just
the limiting to 128kbps is something that will only be in there from
the next release on.

> I guess some sort of bespoke configuration can be set up so that MP3
> and AAC files are not needlessly transcoded, but for my needs the
> bandwidth limiting feature, which ensures that anything over 128k is
> transcoded to 128k MP3, seems fine.

MP3 and AAC are not being transcoded right now, only FLAC and ALAC are.
ALAC is mainly being transcoded because that's the server default, I
believe you have to change the convert.conf to make that work natively
for iPeng. Which iPeng supports.

--
pippin

---
see iPeng, the Squeezebox iPhone remote and
*New: iPeng for iPad*, at penguinlovesmusic.com
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502
pippin
2011-02-10 17:17:22 UTC
m1abrams;610011 Wrote:
> What bitrate to you transcode FLAC to mp3 at when streaming over 3g?
>
> I am getting a stop and go playback and I suspect it is due to not
> enough throughput and might benefit by cutting back on the bitrate.

Whatever is set in your player settings on the server. The default is
320kbps, I believe

The next version will use 128 kbps.

--
pippin

---
see iPeng, the Squeezebox iPhone remote and
*New: iPeng for iPad*, at penguinlovesmusic.com
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502
maggior
2011-02-08 14:15:39 UTC
Hey Pippin -

I saw this update pop up on my iPod Touch this morning and couldn't
resist grabbing the update right then and there. When I saw that
playback was a separate purchase, of course I had to do that right then
and there too :-).

I just played about 1 minute of FLAC on it and it seemed to work
great!

I'll verify this for myself later, but is the player gapless (I hope
so)? If so, is it gapless for all formats? I'm especially interested
in FLAC and LAME encoded mp3.

Thanks for a great update! I hope you can work through your glitch
with the earlier versions of the iPod Touch quickly.

Rich

--
maggior

Rich
---------
pippin
2011-02-08 14:18:23 UTC
maggior;609323 Wrote:

> I'll verify this for myself later, but is the player gapless (I hope
> so)? If so, is it gapless for all formats? I'm especially interested
> in FLAC and LAME encoded mp3.

No, not yet. Will come.

> Thanks for a great update! I hope you can work through your glitch
> with the earlier versions of the iPod Touch quickly.

Well, it's a pure build issue. New release is on the way, now have to
get priority for it...

--
pippin

---
see iPeng, the Squeezebox iPhone remote and
*New: iPeng for iPad*, at penguinlovesmusic.com
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502
maggior
2011-02-08 14:25:18 UTC
Oh, OK. I'll look for a future update to support gapless playback. I
hope it is a priority. For media players in general, this always seems
to be a feature that is put off. In the meantime, if I'm listening to
something where it really matters I'll just continue to use
squeezecast.

Out of curiosity, who is James Fearon and which app does he author?

--
maggior

Rich
---------
FCLymond
2011-02-08 14:42:48 UTC
Thanks for this! I'll happily pay extra despite having both iPad and
iPhone!

I can confirm, however that the new version crashes my 1G iTouch. If
that were to work, my ideal use case would be a reality!

Very well done, congrats.

--
FCLymond
FCLymond's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=4047
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502
arnho
2011-02-10 14:30:41 UTC
Hi,
I use Ipeng at home and the playback is great . Everything work fine
(managemnt and playback). But when I try to use ipeng remotely (wifi or
3G) but not at home, I can monitor all the players which are at home,
have access to my files but the ipad is not recognized as a remote
player . Do you have an idea to solve it ?

Best

Arno

--
arnho
arnho's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=30372
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502
ssa707
2011-02-11 06:12:59 UTC
hi
i like ths

--
ssa707
ssa707's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=43939
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502
pichonCalavera
2011-02-11 07:44:20 UTC
Excellent update!, I just paid and downloaded the latest version an hour
ago, and so far it has been working perfectly on my iPod 4G and iPod
2G.

I've tried playing locally and remotely (transcoding to 128Kbps Mp3,
using tethering from my cellphone) and both are working great.

Tomorrow I'll test it even more when I connect from work to my
Squeezebox Server at home.

I'll be looking forward to improve the battery usage and gapless
playback.

Once again, great update pippin! on the best app on my iPod.

--
pichonCalavera

*rip* (eac) > *convert* (flac) > *tag* (musicbrainz/mp3tag) >
*normalize* (replaygain/foobar2000) > *albumart* (www/firefox) >
*transport* (winscp) > *store* (debian) > *manage* (squeezecenter) >
*control* (ipodtouch/ipeng-app) > *play* (squeezebox) > *preamplify*
(zpre2) > *amplify* (zampv3) > *listen* (axiomm2/sennheiser-hd595) >
*scrooble* (last.fm) > *enjoy* (me :)

http://www.last.fm/user/pichonCalavera
pichonCalavera's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=13068
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502
hvb83
2011-02-11 09:10:11 UTC
Thanks Pippin, loving the playback function! On my iPad I used your
trick, but didn't feel like restoring my iPhone, so I just bought the
additional package.

Keep up the good work!

--
hvb83

SB Receiver, Marantz SR5004, Harman Kardon HKTS11
SB Radio
SB Server 7.5.1 running on a Synology DS210+ NAS
iPhone running iPeng 1.2.8 and iPad running iPeng for iPad and
SqueezePad
hvb83's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=39615
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502
onionjack
2011-02-08 11:27:16 UTC
Another victim of the update:-( Please can you also include in your
ignore list the 8GB - 3rd Generation iPod touch (which is functionally
identical to the 2nd generation).

--
onionjack
onionjack's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=43873
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502
pippin
2011-02-08 11:32:15 UTC
onionjack;609263 Wrote:
> Another victim of the update:-( Please can you also include in your
> ignore list the 8GB - 3rd Generation iPod touch (which is functionally
> identical to the 2nd generation).

Are you sure???? I tested it on that one this morning and it did work
then.
iTouch 3G supports the arm7 command set.

--
pippin

---
see iPeng, the Squeezebox iPhone remote and
*New: iPeng for iPad*, at penguinlovesmusic.com
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502
onionjack
2011-02-08 11:49:59 UTC
Absolutely, I just had to reinstall the last version.

To clarify - the 8GB (and only the 8GB) iPod Touch is functionally

pippin
2011-02-08 11:53:47 UTC
onionjack;609273 Wrote:
> Absolutely, I just had to reinstall the last version.
>
> To clarify - the 8GB (and only the 8GB) iPod Touch is functionally
> identical to the 2nd generation.

Yes, the 8GB iTouch _IS_ the second generation. Only 32GB and 64GB
models are 3rd generation ones.

--
pippin

---
see iPeng, the Squeezebox iPhone remote and
*New: iPeng for iPad*, at penguinlovesmusic.com
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502
onionjack
2011-02-08 12:09:13 UTC
pippin;609274 Wrote:
> Yes, the 8GB iTouch _IS_ the second generation. Only 32GB and 64GB
> models are 3rd generation ones. They use a different processor.

Yes, but the problem was that it was sold as a 3rd Generation Touch -
so please can you also include in your ignore list.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/index.cfm?reviewId=3202607

SteveEast
2011-02-08 21:10:22 UTC
onionjack;609280 Wrote:
> Yes, but the problem is that it was sold as a 3rd Generation Touch - so
> please can you also include it in your ignore list.
>
> http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/index.cfm?reviewId=3202607
> http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/11740214/Apple-8GB-iPod-Touch-3rd-Gen/Product.html

Agreed. Apple sell refurbed versions of the 8GB, 32GB and 64GB Touches
- all labelled as "Previous Generation". Which fooled me into thinking
my 8GB version was a 3G. Which made me ignore the warning and download
the update. Which made me restore the old version :)

Steve.

mkt
2011-02-08 21:22:35 UTC
Awesome! It just works. (Especially after I remembered to forward port
3483 :-)).

Any ideas on the relative battery use of flac vs. mp3 decoding?

Gazjam
2011-02-08 22:34:36 UTC
SteveEast;609454 Wrote:
> Agreed. Apple sell refurbed versions of the 8GB, 32GB and 64GB Touches -
> all labelled as "Previous Generation". Which fooled me into thinking my
> 8GB version was a 3G. Which made me ignore the warning and download the
> update. Which made me restore the old version :)
>
> Steve.

How did you restore the old version Steve?

nolan
2011-02-08 23:14:20 UTC
I just noticed this on the App store and had to post to say how
impressed I am!

Got Neil Young playing on my iPad right now and will back up an sort
the iPhone side in a minute.

Many thanks :)

SteveEast
2011-02-08 23:28:40 UTC
Gazjam;609493 Wrote:
> How did you restore the old version Steve?

The sequence I went through probably wasn't very efficient as I was
googling and experimenting at the same time. I'm sure I went through a
bunch of unnecessary steps! But the first and most important step was
finding the previous version of the app in the windows recycle bin
where the update had put it and saving it to the desktop.

I then deleted the new version from the Touch and from iTunes. Stopped
iTunes. Right clicked on the old version and did Open With...iTunes.
Synced and the old version got copied to the Touch. Or something like
that :) Suffice to say that as long as you can find the old version you
should be able to re-install it. I'm sure there is a decent set of
instructions around somewhere!

Steve.

Steven Moore
2011-02-09 00:14:56 UTC
Can anyone confirm if apple lossless tracks Play and at what quality ie
lossless or mp3?

--
Steven Moore
Steven Moore's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=104
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502
epoch1970
2011-02-09 01:06:04 UTC
Pippin,
this is a wonderful update.

I got playback for free on the iPad, tried it and found the effect
magic enough to warrant paying the 4€ in-app purchase on my iPhone:
- my iPhone goes to work, and my lazy iPad stays at home all day. I
feared the cross-backup procedure would have nixed my contacts and
stuff.
- anyways I don't mind paying 2€ per device given the service, and the
feature seems more valuable -to me- on iPhone since my pants have
regular size pockets.

IMHO you could put your users out of misery by just saying that
playback is free on iPad when you have both iPhone and iPad apps.

Kudos to you and the author of Squeezy.

Flac plays fine indeed. I immediately tried to sync the iPad and
iPhone, and moving around the appartment I soon got the devices to lose
sync. (My iPad uses a wifi N network and the iPhone connects to a wifi-G
channel.)
I this to be expected, as for other soft players ?

Anyway that was just for fun. Now my iPhone gives me exactly the
service I never could obtain for that poor Controller thing! A mighty
good deal for a few bucks.

--
epoch1970

Daily dose delivered by: 2 SB Classic (fw 130), 1 SB Boom (fw 50) •
SqueezeCenter 7.3.4 (Debian 5.0) with plugins: ContextMenu,
SaverSwitcher by Peter Watkins • Server Power Control by Gordon Harris
• WeatherTime by Martin Rehfeld • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) •
FindArt, CDplayer by bpa • BBC iPlayer, SwitchPlayer by Triode •
PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • TrackStat by Erland Isaksson.
epoch1970's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=16711
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502
pippin
2011-02-09 01:25:53 UTC
Steven Moore;609522 Wrote:
> Can anyone confirm if apple lossless tracks Play and at what quality ie
> lossless or mp3?
Yes, they do.
They play lossless when you are on a WiFi network and need to be
transcoded over cellular networks due to bandwidth limitations. See the
announcement above.
Philip Meyer;609523 Wrote:
> Damn! I saw v1.3 in iTunes and downloaded the update. Then I read the
> notice that there's a problem running on iPhone 3G.
>
> I haven't synced my device yet, so still have previous version, but I
> fear that when I turn the iPhone on, it will auto sync and fail. Is
> there a way of deleting the update before it syncs?

If you haven't synced it it should not be on the phone yet.
You can just delete an App in iTunes by deleting it from the "Apps"
section in the left hand pane (in your library).

epoch1970;609525 Wrote:

> IMHO you could put your users out of misery by just saying that
> playback is free on iPad when you have both iPhone and iPad apps.

Well, essentially this is what we are trying to do here.
The problem is that Apple doesn't give you ANY access to user, account
or App information so the only solution I could come up with was this
somewhat awkward process.

> Flac plays fine indeed. I immediately tried to sync the iPad and
> iPhone, and moving around the apartment with the iPhone I soon got the
> devices to lose sync. (My iPad uses a wifi N channel and the iPhone
> connects to a wifi-G channel.)
> I this to be expected, as for other soft players ?

Well, I hope we will get sync to work better eventually; this should
really work.
For me it sometimes works pretty well and sometimes it doesn't work at
all, this is why I did not mention it as a feature.

--
pippin

---
see iPeng, the Squeezebox iPhone remote and
*New: iPeng for iPad*, at penguinlovesmusic.com
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502
Phil Meyer
2011-02-09 07:48:06 UTC
>If you haven't synced it it should not be on the phone yet.
>You can just delete an App in iTunes by deleting it from the "Apps"
>section in the left hand pane (in your library).

I assumed that would then sync the app deletion to the device (and I'd have to buy it again?).

I saw some other people saying they were going to revert to previous version, but I couldn't see a way to do that in iTunes (no version history).
pippin
2011-02-09 09:39:27 UTC
maggior;609548 Wrote:

> Tonight I tried turning off the playback feature in iPeng, closed down
> iPeng and restarted it. Then I fired up squeezecast. iPeng seemed to
> get very confused. When squeezecast is in the forefront, everything is
> OK. When I switch to iPeng, the music fades out and stops.

Could you file a ticket on this?
I had some conversation with bluegaspode on this and we didn't really
have a good idea on how to make the two interoperable but I had hoped
(as you can see I didn't test it) that it would at least work if the
feature is turned off in iPeng.
With SqueezePad it works until you decide to change the volume. I will
have to find out whether it's iPeng or SqeezePad changing the volume,
with SqueezeCast I have no idea what's going on.

> Is there some confusion between the two since they each have the same
> MAC/IP Address yet are different players? I noticed that iPeng
> automatically picked up the name of the squeezecast player - from
> squeezecenter's prespective I guess both players are one in the same
> due to each having the same MAC/IP address.

Yes. The name is being handled by the server and both SqueezeCast and
SqueezePlay are a bit simplistic in that they just set a new name on
startup. It doesn't hurt as much in SqueezePad since that at least sets
a useful name (your device name) but SqueezeCast just sets
"SqueezeCast".

iPeng sets the name when the player doesn't already have one (also to
the device name) or leaves it alone if you change it.
Maybe I extend that to giving an own name if the name is
"SqueezeCast".

> Is using squeezecast with iPeng no longer a supported configuration?

It should be but right now it doesn't seem to work.
sotie;609552 Wrote:
> I stream fine to my ipad over wifi but when I switch to 3G I have "no
> server found". I must be missing something obvious but couldn't locate
> any information regarding settings. I did forward port 3483 on my
> router. Any other suggestions?
>
> How does the app know how to "find" my squeezebox server through the
> internet?
iPeng can't automatically find your server over the internet, you have
to set your server's address manually (through Settings->iPeng
Settings->Add Server).
The best way to do this is to use a dynamic DNS service, there are a
few free ones and most current routers support this.
Also, please make sure to open port 3483 to both UDP and TCP and also,
you _need_ to forward the port to the same port number you use
internally (so 3483 has to be forwarded to port 3483 and 9000 to 9000
or whatever your server uses. The reason is that there are a lot of
places in the SlimProto protocol where the port number is being
communicated by the server and the server doesn't know about port
forwarding. This is also the way the Squeezeboxes work.

sotie;609565 Wrote:
> The "pause on call" setting isn't working on my iphone 4. After an
> incoming call is completed the currently playing track starts over from
> the beginning instead of at the same place it was at when the call came
> in.
Could you file a ticket for that one, too?
https://trac.penguinlovesmusic.de/trac/ipengnat/

Philip Meyer;609584 Wrote:

> I assumed that would then sync the app deletion to the device (and I'd
> have to buy it again?).

Only if you sync with iTunes. I believe disabling App synchronization
would help.

> I saw some other people saying they were going to revert to previous
> version, but I couldn't see a way to do that in iTunes (no version
> history).
There is a way if you can find an old "iPeng.ipa" or "iPeng1.ipa",...
on your computer, e.g. in the trash can (the iTunes folder also seems
to keep some history):
1. Delete iPeng both on your device and in the "Apps" section (left
hand pane) of iTunes
2. Drag the old "iPeng*.ipa" file into that "Apps" section in iTunes
3. Connect your device and sync.

--
pippin

---
see iPeng, the Squeezebox iPhone remote and
*New: iPeng for iPad*, at penguinlovesmusic.com
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502
united59
2011-02-09 11:04:40 UTC
But there is no way back for me who updated iPeng direct on the iPod via
wifi, I guess.
There were no computer involved.
Try to be patient then..

--
united59
united59's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=37126
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502
maggior
2011-02-09 14:19:02 UTC
pippin;609604 Wrote:
> Could you file a ticket on this?
> I had some conversation with bluegaspode on this and we didn't really
> have a good idea on how to make the two interoperable but I had hoped
> (as you can see I didn't test it) that it would at least work if the
> feature is turned off in iPeng.
> With SqueezePad it works until you decide to change the volume. I will
> have to find out whether it's iPeng or SqeezePad changing the volume,
> with SqueezeCast I have no idea what's going on.

I tried to submit a ticket, but there appears to be a problem with the
website. After I entered all of the information and went to submit it,
I got an error as though the website went down. I'll try again later.

--
maggior

Rich
---------
maggior
2011-02-09 02:20:47 UTC
I'm listening to FLAC through the built in player on iPeng now. It's
been playing solid without a single hiccup - very nice!! Well Done!
It's much more convenient than having to deal with starting up
Squeezecast first.

I do miss gapless playback though. I hope it's high on your list and
doesn't fall through the cracks. Once gapless playback is supported,
this will be one of the most awesome pieces of software I've owned
:-).

BTW, thanks for giving us something to look forward to and hope for
since Logitech isn't really doing much in the area of squeezeboxes at
the moment.

Long live the penguin!

--
maggior

Rich
---------
pippin
2011-02-09 02:42:41 UTC
maggior;609541 Wrote:

> I do miss gapless playback though. I hope it's high on your list and
> doesn't fall through the cracks.

I believe this will come as a "package" with better battery life and
better syncing. I believe the solution for these three things are
related.

--
pippin

---
see iPeng, the Squeezebox iPhone remote and
*New: iPeng for iPad*, at penguinlovesmusic.com
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502
maggior
2011-02-09 03:33:25 UTC
pippin;609544 Wrote:
> I believe this will come as a "package" with better battery life and
> better syncing. I believe the solution for these three things are
> related.

Thanks Pippin - that's good to hear. Getting syncing to work would be
great - you set the bar high! :-).

Tonight I tried turning off the playback feature in iPeng, closed down
iPeng and restarted it. Then I fired up squeezecast. iPeng seemed to
get very confused. When squeezecast is in the forefront, everything is
OK. When I switch to iPeng, the music fades out and stops. When I try
to restart it in iPeng, sometimes it would start and abruptly stop.
Eventually it started working, but the music does stop when I leave
iPeng, go to squeezecast, and come back to iPeng. Hitting play starts
the music again.

sotie
2011-02-09 04:11:45 UTC
I need your help Pippin. I stream fine to my ipad over wifi but when I

sotie's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=17277
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502
sotie
2011-02-09 05:33:13 UTC
sotie;609552 Wrote:
> I stream fine to my ipad over wifi but when I switch to 3G I have "no
> server found". I must be missing something obvious but couldn't locate
> any information regarding settings. I did forward port 3483 on my
> router. Any other suggestions?
>
> How does the app know how to "find" my squeezebox server through the
> internet?

I'm having the same issue with 3G streaming not working on my iphone 4
also.

sotie

erland
2011-02-09 04:45:33 UTC
If I officially buy the in-app purchase on one of my iOS devices (for
example the iPhone4) do I get it also on all the other devices using
the same iTunes account and app for free (for example the iPod Touch)
?
Or do I have to buy it on each individual device ?

I don't want to mess with the backup/restore process and you are worth
every extra income you can get for this excellent work. It's not a
major problem if I have to buy it on each individual device, I'm just
asking in advance so I know how it works.

erland
2011-02-09 06:36:53 UTC
erland;609558 Wrote:
> If I officially buy the in-app purchase on one of my iOS devices (for
> example the iPhone4) do I get it also on all the other devices using
> the same iTunes account and app for free (for example the iPod Touch)
> ?
> Or do I have to buy it on each individual device ?

I just saw that you had answered this in the other thread:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=609297#post609297

Phil Meyer
2011-02-09 00:37:46 UTC

Phil
pippin
2011-02-08 15:09:42 UTC

> Out of curiosity, who is James Fearon and which app does he author?

He's the author of Squeezy.

--
pippin

---
see iPeng, the Squeezebox iPhone remote and
*New: iPeng for iPad*, at penguinlovesmusic.com
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502
adekka
2011-02-08 19:18:32 UTC
Hi Pippin.

just made a bad mistake.. instead of creating the code on the iphone
app, I did it on the ipad app.. now I enabled the iphone version on my
ipad. How can I undo this and get the ipad version working with
playback?

thx

--
adekka
adekka's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=37707
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502
Jeff Flowerday
2011-02-08 19:46:24 UTC
adekka;609408 Wrote:
> Hi Pippin.
>
> just made a bad mistake.. instead of creating the code on the iphone
> app, I did it on the ipad app.. now I enabled the iphone version on my
> ipad. How can I undo this and get the ipad version working with
> playback?
>
> thx

Close the ipad app down and restart it, it should be enabled in both.

adekka
2011-02-09 11:20:05 UTC
Jeff Flowerday;609422 Wrote:
> Close the ipad app down and restart it, it should be enabled in both.

thx. Works like a charm..

pippin
2011-02-09 14:23:21 UTC
maggior;609681 Wrote:
> I tried to submit a ticket, but there appears to be a problem with the
> website. After I entered all of the information and went to submit it,
> I got an error as though the website went down. I'll try again later.

Should be working again now.

--
pippin

---
see iPeng, the Squeezebox iPhone remote and
*New: iPeng for iPad*, at penguinlovesmusic.com
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502
maggior
2011-02-09 14:30:13 UTC
pippin;609685 Wrote:
> Should be working again now.

Yes it is - thanks. While I was at it, I also submitted ticket #322
regarding gapless playback.

--
maggior

Rich
---------
sotie
2011-02-09 16:28:18 UTC
Pippin... Per your request I created Ticket #324 for the issue of "pause
on call" not working properly.

Also, once I got 3G working I realized that "pause on call" does work
when streaming 3G with my iphone 4, but NOT with wifi.

Can anyone else confirm the same issue? When I'm streaming over wifi
the currently playing track starts over from the beginning when the
call is ended instead of continuing from the last time it was at before
the call.

pippin
2011-02-09 16:33:19 UTC
sotie;609734 Wrote:

> Also, once I got 3G working I realized that "pause on call" does work
> when streaming 3G with my iphone 4, but NOT with wifi.
>
> Can anyone else confirm the same issue? When I'm streaming over wifi
> the currently playing track starts over from the beginning when the
> call is ended instead of continuing from the last time it was at before
> the call.
Is that a FLAC file?

--
pippin

---
see iPeng, the Squeezebox iPhone remote and
*New: iPeng for iPad*, at penguinlovesmusic.com
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502
sotie
2011-02-09 16:42:52 UTC
pippin;609735 Wrote:
> Is that a FLAC file?

No, 320 mp3.

Mad-s
2011-02-09 18:11:50 UTC
Hi Pippin

Can you explain how I connect via 3G and Dynamic DNS?

I have a D-Link router with Dynamic DNS build in, but I can't connect
to Squeezebox Server.

What do I have to type in when I'm adding another server?

--
Mad-s
Mad-s's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=33771
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502
erland

JonWill
2011-02-09 18:32:39 UTC
Following on from Erland's post, does the official Spotify app play
through iPeng?

--
JonWill

Main system: SB Touch, Arcam A85, Mission 733i speakers
SB Classic into old JVC microsystem (next thing on list to upgrade!)
SB Boom, Logitech Z4 subwoofer
SB Radio
SB Server 7.5.1 (SSODS4) running on a Synology DS210J NAS
iPeng on iPhone 3GS
JonWill's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=20259
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502
pippin
2011-02-08 23:25:12 UTC
mkt;609464 Wrote:
> Awesome! It just works. (Especially after I remembered to forward port
> 3483 :-)).
>
> Any ideas on the relative battery use of flac vs. mp3 decoding?

Doesn't matter. Both are currently horrible. Working on it.
You won't get more than 4h of playback out of it.

--
pippin

---
see iPeng, the Squeezebox iPhone remote and
*New: iPeng for iPad*, at penguinlovesmusic.com
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85502