Announce: New Squeezeslave 0.9 Release available on sourceforge
ralphy
2009-06-01 11:28:55 UTC
Squeezeslave 0.9 is now available at

https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=105169&package_id=176494

What's new in Squeezeslave 0.9

Replay gain now supported with Squeezecenter v7.4 r26720 or later.
Positive dB replay gain values are ignored to prevent clipping. Patches
are included for squeezecenter 7.3.3 and 7.2.2 running on linux/solaris.
Enabling replay gain for a squeezeslave player without the appropriate
patch applied to squeezecenter is not recommended or supported.

Slimp3 style display and keyboard support for linux with Squeezecenter
v7.4 r26720 or later. Support for External LCD displays and IR remotes
are provided using LCDd and lirc respectively (linux only). A .lircrc
config file for the slimdevices remote is included. See --help for
details. Patches are included for squeezecenter 7.3.3 and 7.2.2 running
on linux/solaris.

Thanks to Adrian Smith for getting the display and replay gain changes
into Squeezecenter 7.4.

Stream position reporting no longer resets to zero after a
pause/unpause.

--oldplayer/-O option has been removed as the latest versions of
Squeezecenter's softsqueeze playertype fails to advance to the next
track in the playlist. The --playerid/-e option can be used to force
squeezeslave to connect using the softsqueeze player type if needed.

--debuglog/-Y option added to send all message to the given filename
instead of the current display. Useful when running squeezeslave in
interactive (display) mode to keep any error messages from corrupting
the display output.

Source code has been moved to Google Code. It will no longer be
available as a tarball.

You can browse the source 'here'
(http://code.google.com/p/squeezeslave/source/browse/#svn/squeezeslave/trunk/squeezeslave)
or download it with subversion.

svn checkout
http://squeezeslave.googlecode.com/svn/squeezeslave/trunk/squeezeslave

Known Bugs

Playing an ogg or mp3 file with a duration of less than 30 seconds as
the first track after starting squeezeslave prevents switching to the
next track in the playlist.

Changing playlist after pausing causes the playback of a short piece of
the previously playing song at pause before the new playlist begins.

Pandora doesn't work using the default hardware device/MAC address
00:00:00:00:00:01. You need to start squeezeslave using the
-m00:04:20:00:00:01 command line option to set the MAC address to the
slimdevices hardware range. The last three octets (00:00:01) may need to
be increased depending on the range Pandora is checking for. Pandora is
not available in my area to test the minimum range required.
--
ralphy
ralphy's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=3484
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=63966
f948lan
2009-07-08 11:22:17 UTC
Firstly, thanks for the continued efforts in maintaining squeezeslave.

I've just upgraded to 0.9 and can no longer play FLAC files. MP3 is
fine. My current work-around is to enforce bitrate limiting to force an
MP3 transcode on the server, but that rather defeats the object of
having FLAC files in the first place!

The windows binary download works fine. But on Linux (gentoo) it seg
faults. I'm running linux26-alsa. I've tried with and without the
display support, no difference.

I've also tried a new MAC address (and using the same mac that worked
on the windows version - just in case!).
shed jive # ~/squeeze/squeezeslave/squeezeslave/bin/squeezeslave-alsa
-m 00:00:00:10:10:20 -d slimaudio_output -d slimaudio_output_v -d
slimaudio_decoder -d slimaudio_decoder_v shed
slimaudio_output_init: PortAudio initialized
decoder_thread: STREAM_STOPPED first_time:1
paDeviceInfo->maxOutputChannels 2
paDeviceInfo->defaultHighOutputLatency 0
paDeviceInfo->defaultLowhOutputLatency 0
paDeviceInfo->defaultSampleRate 44100.000000
Mixer: /dev/mixer1
Mixer: /dev/mixer
Mixer explicitly disabled.
Px_mixer = (nil)
output_thread STOPPED: 0
output_thread PAUSED: 0
slimaudio_output_disconnect: state=7
audg cmd: left_gain:3584 right_gain:3584 volume:-0.054688
old_left_gain:46 old_right_gain:46 vol_adjust:0.054688
replay_gain:-1.000000 start_replay_gain:1.000000 preamp:255
digital_volume_control:1
slimaudio_decoder_connect
slimaudio_output_connect: state=7
audg cmd: left_gain:3584 right_gain:3584 volume:0.054688
old_left_gain:46 old_right_gain:46 vol_adjust:0.054688
replay_gain:1.000000 start_replay_gain:1.000000 preamp:255
digital_volume_control:1
audg cmd: left_gain:3584 right_gain:3584 volume:0.054688
old_left_gain:46 old_right_gain:46 vol_adjust:0.054688
replay_gain:1.000000 start_replay_gain:1.000000 preamp:255
digital_volume_control:1
output_thread BUFFERING: 0
decoder_thread: STREAM_PLAYING type f
slimaudio_decoder_flac_process: start
flac_read_callback state=3
flac channels: 2
flac sample_rate: 44100
flac bits_per_sample: 16
Segmentation fault
Adding some extra debug lines myself, it appears to crash on the
following line of slimaudio_decoder_flac.c:

Code:
--------------------

FLAC__bool b = FLAC__stream_decoder_process_until_end_of_stream(audio->flac_decoder);

--------------------

I'm very much outside my knowledge in FLAC API's, and google is being
less than helpful!

I'm thinking its an incompatibility with my libFLAC, but v1.2.1 seems
normal?

Any suggestions?
--
f948lan
f948lan's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=3961
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=63966
f948lan
2009-07-08 11:50:47 UTC
My point about library incompatibility got me thinking. If I link
against the library that ships with squeezeplay, instead of my system
library, it works!

The include files are identical, but that must be something about my
system library it doesn't like.
bhaagensen
2009-08-24 15:20:27 UTC
Is there any reason that the display-feature is not included in the
amd64-version?
--
bhaagensen
bhaagensen's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=7418
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=63966
ralphy
2009-08-25 11:08:56 UTC
No, other than I never compiled an interactive amd 64bit version.

The latest source has a makefile called
makefile.linux26-i64-alsa-display to build an display enabled SS.

You'll need to have ncurses and lirc_client libraries installed for a
successful build.

Please use -r80 or older and not the current revision as I've run into
some problems with the latest changes.
ralphy
2009-09-04 11:35:13 UTC
I've backed out the problematic changes committed at r81. See 'r82'
(http://code.google.com/p/squeezeslave/source/detail?r=82) details for
more info.
bhaagensen
2009-09-04 15:46:15 UTC
Sorry about not getting back to this. I managed to compile r30, and it
works fine. There was however alot of include related issues. Basically
I had to install dev-packages for ogg, vorbis, and flac, and then
manually move some library files. Don't know whether this is a real
issue oh not. It was a quick and dirty workaround for me.
ralphy
2009-09-05 08:57:25 UTC
Glad to hear you got it working.

I've recently refactored the makefiles to build all required support
libraries when building squeezeslave. It has solved many issues people
had been having with builds but now on slow systems it takes much longer
to compile. For this reason, I've left the original i586 makefiles
which expect the system to already have the dev packages installed.
bhaagensen
2009-09-05 09:04:39 UTC
I've left the original i586 makefiles which expect the system to already
have the dev packages installed.
I did use the i64-alsa-display-version...

Another things. A year ago or so, I was able to get multiplexing
working by using the alsa-oss wrapper. In the meantime Ubuntu has
changed to pulseaudio and squeezeslave has also undergone big changes.
The net result is that even with padsp, which is the pulseaudio wrapper
equivalent of alsa-oss, I can no longer get multiplexing working. Do you
have any hints on this?
jay_cee_in_da_house
2009-10-14 03:33:04 UTC
Post by bhaagensen
I did use the i64-alsa-display-version...
Another things. A year ago or so, I was able to get multiplexing
working by using the alsa-oss wrapper. In the meantime Ubuntu has
changed to pulseaudio and squeezeslave has also undergone big changes.
The net result is that even with padsp, which is the pulseaudio wrapper
equivalent of alsa-oss, I can no longer get multiplexing working. Do you
have any hints on this?
Same issue here. I gave up on multiplexing.

Gotta love Linux:
1999: I'm constantly bitching about the state of audio.
2009: I'm constantly bitching about the state of audio.
--
jay_cee_in_da_house
jay_cee_in_da_house's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=1830
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=63966
ralphy
2009-10-20 11:31:18 UTC
Have you tried building squeezeslave from source? Read this 'post'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=469040&postcount=7) for
more info.
Gummy35
2009-10-23 12:50:00 UTC
Hello guys,

I managed to compile squeezeslave on Freebsd 7.2R (there was some mutex
lock/unlock issues: apparently, a mutex can be unlocked only by the
thread which locked it).

You need to install some packages however :
libogg
libvorbis
libmad
flac
portaudio2

Apply the patch, compile using :

make -f makefile.freebsd

Works for me, hope it helps :)

Gummy

|Filename: freebsd.patch |
|Download: http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8519|
Gummy35
Gummy35's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=33770
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=63966
Line
2009-10-13 19:24:15 UTC
Hey Ralphy, I use squeezeslave everyday on linux and win32, it is
indespensible for me.

You commented earlier in another post that ASIO was coming to win32
which is excellent. Does libportaudio also have support for WASAPI? That
would be the ultimate in bit-matched playback for windows correct?
--
Line
Line's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=23800
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=63966
dhull
2009-10-20 17:04:32 UTC
Windows, works fine connected to server. When sync'd to an SB player,
the connection to mysqueezebox.com fails. When I log in to
mysqueezebox.com, I only see the SB player. I'm using the latest version
of squeezeslave.
--
dhull
dhull's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=19653
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=63966
ralphy
2009-10-21 16:31:22 UTC
Post by dhull
Windows, works fine connected to server. When sync'd to an SB player,
the connection to mysqueezebox.com fails. When I log in to
mysqueezebox.com, I only see the SB player. I'm using the latest version
of squeezeslave.
Sorry, until the 7.4 new release issues subside, I'm not allocating any
spare time to issues relating to the new mysqueezebox service. Did
squeezeslave show up as a player on the old squeezenetwork.com?
dhull
2009-10-22 17:13:13 UTC
Post by ralphy
Sorry, until the 7.4 new release issues subside, I'm not allocating any
spare time to issues relating to the new mysqueezebox service. Did
squeezeslave show up as a player on the old squeezenetwork.com?
I had it working with the old service, yes. I find that recent
softsqueeze releases still work. Should having squeezeslave masquerade
as a softsqueeze player work? My first try failed.
ralphy
2009-10-23 11:13:47 UTC
So softsqueeze actually doesn't work either according to your later
'post'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=476276&postcount=131)
dhull
2009-10-23 17:27:34 UTC
Post by ralphy
So softsqueeze actually doesn't work either according to your later
'post'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=476276&postcount=131)?
I was able to get both softsqueeze and squeezeslave to work, with some
limitations with mysqueezebox.com. I only care about this because I use
Sirius and mysqueezebox.com is involved in the connection process.

I logged on to mysqueezebox.com and then created a softsqueeze player
there by using the connection item in it's GUI. Softsqueeze freezes at
this point.

To use squeezeslave I started it up with the same MAC address that
mysqueezebox had seen from softsqueeze. I also told it to report a
playerid of "softsqueeze". Connecting to Sirius proceeds normally and
music plays as long as I don't attempt to sync with my hardware player.
bobkoure
2009-10-20 22:09:22 UTC
Post by ralphy
Pandora doesn't work using the default hardware device/MAC address
00:00:00:00:00:01. You need to start squeezeslave using the
-m00:04:20:00:00:01 command line option to set the MAC address to the
slimdevices hardware range. The last three octets (00:00:01) may need to
be increased depending on the range Pandora is checking for. Pandora is
not available in my area to test the minimum range required.
As a possible data point I'm running v0.965 win32, with the command
line
-r1 -m:00:00:00:00:10 server3
and have no problems running Pandora.
I run Pandora through my server and am a paid-up Pandora subscriber.
I had been getting a 192CBR data stream, but, possibly coincidentally,
this dropped to 128 when I upgraded to server 7.41 from 7.33. I switched
to -m00:04:20:00:00:06 to see if that was going on, but still 128.
Thanks for doing all this work!
Do you need someone within Pandora-land to test the next version(s)?
--
bobkoure
bobkoure's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=14646
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=63966
ralphy
2009-10-21 16:38:23 UTC
Post by bobkoure
As a possible data point I'm running v0.965 win32, with the command
line
-r1 -m:00:00:00:00:10 server3
and have no problems running Pandora.
I run Pandora through my server and am a paid-up Pandora subscriber.
I had been getting a 192CBR data stream, but, possibly coincidentally,
this dropped to 128 when I upgraded to server 7.41 from 7.33. I switched
to -m00:04:20:00:00:06 to see if that was going on, but still 128.
Thanks for doing all this work!
Do you need someone within Pandora-land to test the next version(s)?
I don't think your issue is with squeezeslave. It only cares that the
samplerate of the stream is 44.1Kz. Sounds more like something has
changed in 7.4 and pandora.

Thanks for the offer to test pandora. I'll keep you in mind when I'm
getting close to having a new release available.