Clean up music collection
Bill Moseley
2007-01-16 21:01:18 UTC
Over the years I've ripped my CDs to MP3, Ogg, FLAC, and maybe a few
other formats. In addition, files are not always organized very well
and the file names are not consistent.

Anyone know if there's a script (for Linux-type system) that can go
through my music directory and try and figure out album and song from
id3/meta data (or perhaps by consulting a local CDDB copy and the
file's name) and organize the collection into artist/album
directories?

Fetching album art would be nice, too. ;)

I downloaded the CDDB some months back to start this project, but ran
out of time. But before I start again I want to make sure there isn't
already something available.

Thanks,
--
Bill Moseley
moseley-***@public.gmane.org
Lleo_
2007-01-17 02:38:17 UTC
I will do it for you, just send me your music collection. Bet that
others will want it to.
--
Lleo_
Lleo_'s Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=3271
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=31739
jeffluckett
2007-01-17 02:58:51 UTC
Post by Bill Moseley
Over the years I've ripped my CDs to MP3, Ogg, FLAC, and maybe a few
other formats. In addition, files are not always organized very well
and the file names are not consistent.
Anyone know if there's a script (for Linux-type system) that can go
through my music directory and try and figure out album and song from
id3/meta data (or perhaps by consulting a local CDDB copy and the
file's name) and organize the collection into artist/album
directories?
Fetching album art would be nice, too. ;)
I downloaded the CDDB some months back to start this project, but ran
out of time. But before I start again I want to make sure there isn't
already something available.
Thanks,
--
Bill Moseley
moseley (AT) hank (DOT) org
Check out www.musicbrainz.org. It uses "signatures" to match up your
tracks and apply standardized tagging information and then rename the
files with the conventions you specify. While you CAN just let it do
its thing, I recommend supervising it as it's not 100% perfect.
--
jeffluckett
jeffluckett's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=6179
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=31739
Bill Moseley
2007-01-17 06:40:56 UTC
Post by jeffluckett
Check out www.musicbrainz.org. It uses "signatures" to match up your
tracks and apply standardized tagging information and then rename the
files with the conventions you specify. While you CAN just let it do
its thing, I recommend supervising it as it's not 100% perfect.
Is "it" the Picard program? Or the MusicBrainz database in general?
Doesn't look like Picard is what I'm after, as it's a GUI based tool
and I'm looking more for a way to automate the process.

Debian has "tunepimp" available, but that uses the old RDF Webservice.
I don't really get how the tumepimp utility works.

It seems like I should be able to generate TRM fingerprints for
untagged files using Perl's MusicBrainz::TRM. Although, it's not
entirely clear how to do that from the docs. Have to look in the
morning.

If I can figure out how to lookup the song in the database I can
easily re-organize the collection.
--
Bill Moseley
moseley-***@public.gmane.org
CCRDude
2007-01-17 08:55:29 UTC
Both Picard or the classic version have GUIs that are way out of the
things user interface design guidelines would suggest, but once you
found out to use them, they may be useful.

It's not fully automated, thats true, but its not so much more steps.
You drag all your files into it, it'll analyze them in background (give
it a night for a full collection), and when its finished, you can press
the save button, which again might take some time depending on size.

Picard is better then through using a newer algorithm than TRM (TRMs
often have a dozen matches), but even uglier to use ;)
--
CCRDude
CCRDude's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=8478
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=31739
Bill Moseley
2007-01-17 15:24:51 UTC
Post by CCRDude
Picard is better then through using a newer algorithm than TRM (TRMs
often have a dozen matches), but even uglier to use ;)
But for singles Picard can't create album clusters, and the singles
seem to generate quite a few hits in the lookup as well. I'd probably
spend much more time trying to automate this than just manually fix
the tags... ;)
--
Bill Moseley
moseley-***@public.gmane.org