Squidgy for iPhone now available in Apple App Store
idowantapickle
2008-11-14 11:26:52 UTC
Hi folks,

EMCC Software are pleased to announce the immediate availability of
Squidgy for iPhone and iPod Touch from the Apple app store. Price is
£4.99 - direct link is
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=296245115&mt=8

Feature List:
Automatic Server Detection
Multiple player support
Player controls - shuffle / repeat /sleep / volume / power
Music library browsing
Artwork display
Landscape album view
Playlist manipulation ( add , reorder, delete )
Internet Music services browsing
Wikipedia integration

Usage notes:
On first startup use the detect server button in the settings screen to
automatically configure Squidgy to use your SqueezeCenter. Squidgy
scans your server and builds a local database of album titles, artist
names and album thumbnails to allow speedy browsing of your music
library. This scan can take a couple of minutes depending on the size
of your library.

Once the scan completes you can browse or search your library. The
playlist lives on the back of the Now playing screen. To reorder the
playlist just drag and drop items. You can delete one or more items
from here too.

Player controls live on the now playing screen too. Just tap the album
art and they slide in from the top. Set your volume / shuffle / repeat
preferences or turn off the current player. To hide the player controls
again just tap outside the player control area.

In album view rotate the phone left to see the album grid view. Scroll
left to right, or pick an album to see the track list. Tap outside the
album area to return to the grid view.

Use the players option on the main menu to change your current player.

Wikipedia takes you straight to the wikipedia page for the currently
playing artist.

You can also customise a few aspects of Squidgy. If you don't like the
default white on grey you can change to more standard iphone colours in
the settings menu. You can also configure the default behaviour when
clicking on an album here.

Theres some screenshots here:
http://web.me.com/phillbrady/Site/Squidgy.html

Enjoy

--
idowantapickle
idowantapickle's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=16490
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=55073
Borgen
2008-11-14 11:41:52 UTC
Hi,

Have previously heard of iPeng and iSqueeze(will have another name in
AppStore). This two applications have been discusses alot here in the
Forum.

Is this a third application?

Will download it and try it out over the weekend.

--
Borgen
Borgen's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=19648
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=55073
idowantapickle
2008-11-14 11:48:50 UTC
Yes, this is a different application from either iSqueeze or iPeng.

Borgen
2008-11-14 11:52:05 UTC
Interesting!

Just bought and installed tha app, will try it out as soon as I get
home from work.

Seams to be an impresive application from all sceeen captures that are
displayed on the Website.

danny041
2008-11-14 13:11:50 UTC
Very interesting. How come no one has said a word about this until
today?

--
danny041
danny041's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=20107
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=55073
simply
2008-11-14 13:21:50 UTC
danny041;359891 Wrote:
> Very interesting. How come no one has said a word about this until
> today?

It's probably easier to get something out the door there if you're not
interrupted and/or distracted by user feature requests and/or opinions
all the time!

they were first out (it looks like) but to win our hearts they better
listen to us users from now on :) If they don't, they'll probably
loose...

Competition is good...

Will try it when I get home...

-a

--
simply
simply's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=2216
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=55073
idowantapickle
2008-11-14 14:03:50 UTC
simply;359895 Wrote:
> to win our hearts they better listen to us users from now on :)

Absolutely - feature requests are more than welcome. As you say we
have been concentrating on the feature set we wanted for version 1.0
and have been running a closed beta for a while now.

Luke Redpath
2008-11-14 14:00:33 UTC
Naturally I'll be giving this a spin this weekend. Not too keen on the
UI personally, seems a bit chaotic in places, but I'll reserve
judgement. I'm most interested in seeing what its like performance-wise
and how well it handles updates as a result of normal interaction with
the server (e.g. web interface or normal remote).

Also interested to see you've taken the approach of using an alert
sheet to display "play now, play next" buttons. I took this approach to
begin with but developed a new "hold to queue" gesture, with a normal
tap for play now.

--
Luke Redpath
Luke Redpath's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=859
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=55073
pippin
2008-11-14 14:03:25 UTC
Luke Redpath;359905 Wrote:
> Naturally I'll be giving this a spin this weekend. Not too keen on the
> UI personally, seems a bit chaotic in places, but I'll reserve
> judgement. I'm most interested in seeing the performance as thats one
> are of iSqueeze that I've really concentrated on.

Whereas iPeng focuses on ease of Use :-)
Will be an interesting comparison...

> Also interested to see you've taken the approach of using an alert
> sheet to display "play now, play next" buttons. I took this approach to
> begin with but developed a new "hold to queue" gesture, with a normal
> tap for play now.

That makes it three different solutions then.
I like the alert sheet least.

--
pippin

---
see iPeng at penguinlovesmusic.com
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=55073
idowantapickle
2008-11-14 14:05:22 UTC
pippin;359906 Wrote:
> Whereas iPeng focuses on ease of Use :-)
> Will be an interesting comparison...
>

> That makes it three different solutions then.
> I like the alert sheet least.

This is the default but we made it configurable based on user feedback.

pippin
2008-11-14 15:43:12 UTC
idowantapickle;359909 Wrote:
> This is the default but we made it configurable based on user feedback.

"Configurable" is not necessarily easy...

--
pippin

---
see iPeng at penguinlovesmusic.com
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=55073
CodeMonkey
2008-11-14 16:04:25 UTC
its on our list of features to add in either the next update or the one
after.

--
CodeMonkey
CodeMonkey's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=21159
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=55073
Borgen
2008-11-14 17:35:19 UTC
Have just done some quick test and I am not so pleased.......

- no album art are displayed, have 299x299 images inbedded in all my
mp3 files but this app refuces to show any of them
-tried to play a song on my softsqueeze and then the app crashed. And
since then it crashes all the time as soon as i select any items in the
main menu.Tried to reboot the iPhone bit this does not help.

Not please at all what i have seen so far

Luke Redpath
2008-11-14 17:43:23 UTC
Borgen: does SqueezeCenter show your album art?

idowantapickle
2008-11-14 17:48:33 UTC
Borgen - just sent you a PM to try and get you up and running

CodeMonkey
2008-11-14 17:50:12 UTC
try a refresh database in settings. If this doesn't work post your
server os
and squeezecenter version

idowantapickle
2008-11-14 18:03:53 UTC
DeVerm;359992 Wrote:
> Was this app tested on iTouch ?
>
> cheers,
> Nick.

We've tested on iPhone and iPod Touch against Squeezecenter 7.2 and
7.2.1 running on Mac OS X, Windows XP and Ubuntu 8.04 with a database
of 2133 albums, 22886 songs, 2131 artists.

DeVerm
2008-11-14 18:00:49 UTC

DeVerm's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=18104
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=55073
bodajmac
2008-11-14 18:06:12 UTC
seeing as this is becoming a de facto support thread, i've just bought
squidgy but am getting connection failed messages - server is correctly
detected, ports are standard, not sure what else to check. running on
windows xp home sp2, SqueezeCenter Version: 7.2.1 - 23630 @ Tue Oct 21
07:44:57 PDT 2008 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252. if it's any diagnostic
help i've been beta-testing the former isqueeze and it was able to
connect via 192.168.1.3:9000

thanks in advance for any help,

andy

--
bodajmac
bodajmac's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=9573
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=55073
idowantapickle
2008-11-14 18:21:32 UTC
bodajmac;359997 Wrote:
> am getting connection failed messages - server is correctly detected,
> ports are standard, not sure what else to check

Could this be a firewall or port issue? I've been told that the
SqueezeCenter installer doesn't open port 9090 (CLI) on Windows in
7.2.x

bodajmac
2008-11-14 20:11:00 UTC
idowantapickle;360004 Wrote:
> Could this be a firewall or port issue? I've been told that the
> SqueezeCenter installer doesn't open port 9090 (CLI) on Windows in
> 7.2.x

missed this earlier - this was indeed the problem, added a port
exception in windows firewall and database is now being constructed.
thanks very much for the help, very much looking forward to giving this
a try!

pippin
2008-11-14 20:29:39 UTC
Is there anything I can do when I can't even reach the settings menu? I
crashes immediately at startup.

--
pippin

---
see iPeng at penguinlovesmusic.com
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=55073
idowantapickle
2008-11-14 20:45:04 UTC
pippin;360070 Wrote:
> Is there anything I can do when I can't even reach the settings menu? I
> crashes immediately at startup.

Looks like you've hit the same issue borgen had - correct cli port and
incorrect http port.

Can you try removing the app fom the iphone completely and
reinstalling, then verifying the ports before you connect please?

In the meantime we'll get a fix out for this asap, looks like we've
missed a use case along the way.

Are you using a NAS device as well?

pippin
2008-11-14 20:56:47 UTC
idowantapickle;360075 Wrote:
> Looks like you've hit the same issue borgen had - correct cli port and
> incorrect http port.
>
> Can you try removing the app fom the iphone completely and
> reinstalling, then verifying the ports before you connect please?
>
> In the meantime we'll get a fix out for this asap, looks like we've
> missed a use case along the way.
>
> Are you using a NAS device as well?

No, two ubuntu servers. Both sit at Port 9000

--
pippin

---
see iPeng at penguinlovesmusic.com
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=55073
EnochLight
2008-11-14 21:04:37 UTC
idowantapickle;360008 Wrote:
> Rhapsody isn't available in the UK as far as I know, so we've not been
> able to test it...I wouldn't purchase the app solely for Rhapsody
> support until we get some feedback from users in the US who can access
> it.

D'oh! I should have finished reading this thread before plunking down
my $7.99 USD to buy this 5 minutes ago. :-( Controlling Rhapsody is
paramount for my use.

munkivelli;360009 Wrote:
> Any U.S. Rhapsody users out there that bought this try it out yet?:P

I just bought it but won't get to try it out until I get home later
tonight (gotta' go have some prime rib, Pinot Noire, and watch Quantum
of Solace first)! ;-) Will report my results after.

Scott;360068 Wrote:
> I have been playing with it for a few hours.
>
> Bad:
> No last.fm, pandora controls for love/skip/hate.
> Can't skip beyond one song at a time on the playlist.
> Crashes every so often... not completely stable.
>
> Best,
> Scott

Eeeewwww.... wow - that's a huge deal breaker for me. Now I wish I
hadn't plunked down my $7.99 USD for this version.

iPeng can't come soon enough...

--
EnochLight
EnochLight's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=3392
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=55073
autopilot
2008-11-14 21:14:16 UTC
Rush job to be the first Squeezebox app in the store?

--
autopilot

*Lounge :* Squeezebox Classic -> Cambridge Audio Azur 640a -> Mission
701's.
*Bedroom :* Squeezebox Receiver -> Trends TA10.1 Class-T -> Kef Cresta
1's
*Office :* Softsqueeze -> Logitech Active 5.1's.
*Kitchen :* Squeezebox Boom -coming soon-
*Roaming : * Squeezebox Controller -> Logitech mm28 portable speakers /
Shure E2c's
*Controllers :* Squeezebox Controller x 2 + Logitech Harmony one
*Server :* SC7.3b (Vista 64) + AlienBBC, iPlayer & MusicIP headless.

'LAST.FM' (http://www.last.fm/user/domrevans/)
autopilot's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=1763
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=55073
markbelanger
2008-11-14 21:31:03 UTC
I'm intrigued but not thrilled with the price : payoff ratio. Does
anyone else believe that the remote is about 60%, but streaming is the
killer 40%? I've tried simplify (takes forever with a big library) and
tversity (video is a nice touch, but good luck if you want to listen to
X or ZZ Top!) I even bought the nullsoft radio tuner app, which is
pretty cool (costs a few bucks though) in that it lets you load a
custom URL. Leaving the app to go to a browser kills the app. Total
catch 22. Flycast had hope, in that it's a radio app WITH a web
browser option, but no custom URL streams. It feels like it's /so
close./ Also, I feel like Ipeng should get my money at this point,
he's a very active contributor, and I can probably justify 8 or 10
bucks for a remote - but I'm going to have a hard time justifying that
TIMES 3 to test them all out. Does the ipeng plugin allow control of
the playlist, or is it cue it up and go (only...)?

Good work all - enjoy nerding out in this direction and pleased
progress is afoot. Would love to see a nice streaming option for the
iphone, though.

--
markbelanger
markbelanger's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=20400
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=55073
pippin
2008-11-14 21:44:04 UTC
markbelanger;360091 Wrote:
> Does the ipeng plugin allow control of the playlist, or is it cue it up
> and go (only...)?

The plugin can control the playlist and so does the native app :-)

--
pippin

---
see iPeng at penguinlovesmusic.com
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=55073
amcluesent
2008-11-14 21:47:19 UTC
Epic fail here :(

Current 7.2.1 Squeezecentre on Windows Vista. 16Gb 3G iphone with 2.1
firmware.

Library has about 65,000 songs, 3800 albums.

Squidgy *never* completes a successful initial database synchronise of
albums before bombing out.

Sigh. Stress testing peeps...can I get a refund?

--
amcluesent
amcluesent's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=10286
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=55073
Enoch Soames
2008-11-17 17:52:03 UTC
I had a similar problem (with a library of 2200 albums or so) - Squidgy
got through the 'albums' scan, but it would crash back to the home
screen halfway through 'artists.' It finally occurred to me to reboot
my iPhone (hold down the top button and bottom button simultaneously
until the slider appears at the top of the screen, then restart). That
did the trick - it scans everything now. I've encountered a similar
problem with other apps, particularly games, so it may be an iPhone
problem rather than a Squidgy problem. It's worth a try, anyway.

Apart from those missing favorites and a few other issues, I'm very
impressed with Squidgy, by the way. It really shines where playlist
creation is concerned - I love being able to reorder songs quickly.
Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way to _save_ new playlists,
or access old ones. That's pretty important.

Enoch Soames's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=12483
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=55073
mortslim
2008-11-18 05:49:34 UTC
If its a Squeezenetwork limitation that doesn't allow an iphone app to
work without aid of squeezecenter on a computer, then I humbly suggest
that logitech fix this.

Many webpages work fine with the iphone. Unfortunately, the
squeezenetwork is very difficult to work with on the iphone. Maybe it
is less text based than graphically based.

Suggestion: Several webpages now have both a regular version and a
mobile version. Maybe logitech can publish a mobile version of the
squeezenetwork.

--
mortslim
mortslim's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=11039
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=55073
CodeMonkey
2008-11-18 08:21:47 UTC
Hi Guys,

Experimental favourites support for Squidgy is in the update submitted
to Apple. You can view and play favourites that have been set up on the
server, but manipulating your favourite list on the iPhone is not
supported. Thats coming in a later update along with Playlist support,
player synchronisation and internet radio love/hate buttons etc.

cheers

Phill

pippin
2008-11-19 10:09:33 UTC
mortslim;360965 Wrote:
> If its a Squeezenetwork limitation that doesn't allow an iphone app to
> work without aid of squeezecenter on a computer, then I humbly suggest
> that logitech fix this.
>
> Many webpages work fine with the iphone. Unfortunately, the
> squeezenetwork is very difficult to work with on the iphone. Maybe it
> is less text based than graphically based.
>
> Suggestion: Several webpages now have both a regular version and a
> mobile version. Maybe logitech can publish a mobile version of the
> squeezenetwork.

The problem is not one of the web page. The iPhone apps use the CLI to
communicate with the server and that's not yet available for SN.
It's in the making, though.

--
pippin

---
see iPeng at penguinlovesmusic.com
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=55073
markbelanger
2008-11-14 22:12:26 UTC
pippin;360094 Wrote:
> The plugin can control the playlist and so does the native app :-)

Then you sir will get my money :-) tell the apple hamsters to run
faster!

pippin
2008-11-15 00:36:33 UTC
markbelanger;360103 Wrote:
> Then you sir will get my money :-) tell the apple hamsters to run
> faster!

"We will come back to you within 48 hours..."
That was around 10am Pacific on a Friday...

--
pippin

---
see iPeng at penguinlovesmusic.com
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=55073
sotie
2008-11-15 02:37:25 UTC
Here's my two cents after playing with squidgy for 30 minutes...

1) The only technical problem I'm encountering (SqueezeCenter 7.2) is
that everytime I start the app I get the message that "database appears
to be out of date" but nothing has changed in my database.

2) Sirius channels are wrong. Sirius changed their channel lineup
yesterday but it's not reflected in the application.

Here's what I think is missing or needs to be improved (in order of
importance to me):
- Favorites: please add if possible

- Now Playing Screen: no option to return to last screen... the only
place you can go is back to the main screen of the application. This
would be benificial when on the Now Playing screen after selecting a
song from the Artist or Album menu and then you want to go back and
browse for more tracks from the same menu. Here's another example of
how this feature would be useful: user selects the Beatles genre in
Shoutcast Radio. There are several Beatles stations available. Once
user selects a station and presses "now playing" the only option is to
another Beatles station you have to go through the whole process again:
Internet Audio --> Shoutcast --> Genres --> Beatles.

- Player synchronization

--
sotie
sotie's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=17277
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=55073
pippin
2008-11-15 03:34:15 UTC
markbelanger;360103 Wrote:
> Then you sir will get my money :-) tell the apple hamsters to run
> faster!

First hamsters are done.
It's now in Apple's hands...

--
pippin

---
see iPeng at penguinlovesmusic.com
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=55073
kantblue
2008-11-15 10:57:09 UTC
Hi, just thought I'd put my experiences here as it might be useful to
others.

For a first version, I'm quite impressed. Its fast which is good and
fairly easy to navigate.

The issues I have found are:

I did have to add port 9090 as an exception to my windows firewall in
order to get it to connect. Slimserver 7.2.1 doesn't add this port
automatically when its installed, so I would guess this flaw lies with
the slimserver software rather than the squidgy app?

Each time I start the squidy app, it asks me to update my database even
though nothing has changed.

The squidgy app does NOT Wake On Lan the server which means I have to
use the Duet Controller to turn it on, which is a bind. IMHO this needs
to be fixed. This is especially the case when, for example I select
Staff Picks-Classic FM, as after 30 mins my slimserver PC goes to
sleep>hibernate, even though the radio stream keeps playing, as if I
then want to switch to Itunes music, I have to find the controller to
turn it back on. This might be new behaviour in 7.2.1 as I don't
recollect it doing that before?

kantblue

--
kantblue
kantblue's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=19236
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=55073
autopilot

pippin
2008-11-15 12:51:39 UTC
autopilot;360196 Wrote:
> Does ipeng do wake on lan? It would have to support that before i bought
> it sorry.

No, sorry. I thought about adding it, but actually I was unclear about
how exactly the use case should be.
I don't want to capture this thread so I opened up one in the dev
section on this and I would really like to see your comments on this
there:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=360221

So I felt it takes a bit of time to do it right (you know: it's always
the details...)

--
pippin

---
see iPeng at penguinlovesmusic.com
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=55073
danco
2008-11-15 13:37:57 UTC
autopilot;360196 Wrote:
> Does ipeng do wake on lan? It would have to support that before i bought
> it sorry.

You could fork out an extra $3 or so for Sleepover, a wake on LAN app.
If iPeng is useful enough to you, the extra cost (and effort to use it)
should be worthwhie.

--
danco
danco's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=210
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=55073
Caad
2008-11-15 15:10:10 UTC
Hi Pippin.

Do you have an estimate when the Ipeng can be downloaded from apple?

--
Caad
Caad's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=9350
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=55073
EnochLight
2008-11-15 16:16:47 UTC
I rated it 3 stars...

idowantapickle
2008-11-15 18:43:48 UTC
well balanced review - thanks.

Seems like playlist / favourites / music directory browsing are quite
high on the priority list - we'll see what we can do in this area.

jamesm
2008-11-15 19:28:36 UTC
Hi,

Bought and installed this pm and initial impressions are v positive.

The good
1) Found my server no problem
2) It's really quick - much better usability than skins
3) I actually think the navigation is pretty good - and i like the now
playing functionality

Needs work
1) If you have 2 squeezeboxes it defaults back to 1 all the time. I am
running an 'upstairs' and a 'downstairs'. If I select downstairs it
doesnt seem to remember that state. This means i have to keep going
back to settings to change the player back to downstairs.
2) Get occasional crashes when i drill down into album details
3) Would be good to have a home button on all pages

But a good start..looking forward to luke's and ipengs

--
jamesm
jamesm's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=21186
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=55073
EnochLight
2008-11-15 19:40:53 UTC
idowantapickle;360301 Wrote:
> well balanced review - thanks.
>
> Seems like playlist / favourites / music directory browsing are quite
> high on the priority list - we'll see what we can do in this area.

No worries mate, thanks for your efforts. I think that you should also
make approve/reject songs on Pandora a top priority as well, but yeah -
playlist / favourites / music directory browsing are a definite must.

Finally, it seems to want to rescan the library (claiming that it is
out of date) when no changes have been made. Very annoying, because if
I choose not to then it seems to lock up.

Thanks!

mortslim
2008-11-15 20:14:26 UTC
1. Still don't understand why Logitech is not making an application
just like Sonos did. I assume Sonos followed the tried and true
economic formula of giving away the razor to sell a lot of razorblades,
or to be more modern, heavily discounting an inkjet printer to sell more
ink cartridges. I think Logitech would sell a lot more squeezeboxes and
booms and receivers even if it might canabalize its controller sales.
Sonos took the plunge, so should Logitech. And it would also be a lot
of free advertising to millions of consumers who might never have heard
of these products. And by adding a softsqueeze to this proposed app,
consumers can try the whole experience before buying the hardware.

2. I look forward to the iPeng entry as that developer has contributed
a lot to these forums.

3. I would like a clarification of the abilities of the new app which
is the subject of this thread - squidgy. Does it interface with the
Squeezenetwork or only SqueezeCenter? I don't use SqueezeCenter - I
don't like my computer on if I am not actually using it for other tasks
when I am listening to music. I rely solely on Squeezenetwork with
Rhapsody and the other music services. Thus, my question is whether
squidgy works with the squeezenetwork or does your computer also have
to be on with squeezecenter running?

idowantapickle
2008-11-15 20:55:34 UTC
mortslim;360309 Wrote:
> Does it interface with the Squeezenetwork or only SqueezeCenter? I
> don't use SqueezeCenter - I don't like my computer on if I am not
> actually using it for other tasks when I am listening to music. I rely
> solely on Squeezenetwork with Rhapsody and the other music services.
> Thus, my question is whether squidgy works with the squeezenetwork or
> does your computer also have to be on with squeezecenter running?

Squidgy is designed to communicate directly with SqueezeCenter, so your
computer must be turned on.

Hope this answers your question - although its not the answer you were
looking for.

Mark Lanctot
2008-11-15 22:21:48 UTC
I don't want to offend anyone but - can we move this to the third party
plugins forum?

This forum isn't really where this thread belongs.

--
Mark Lanctot

Current: SB2, Transporter, Boom (PQP3 - late beta)
Stored: Boom (PQP1 - early beta), SBC (beta - no battery)
Sold: SB3, Duet
Mark Lanctot's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=2071
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=55073
EnochLight
2008-11-15 22:34:33 UTC
mortslim;360309 Wrote:
> 1. Still don't understand why Logitech is not making an application
> just like Sonos did.

Simple: SqueezeCenter is open source. Sonos software is not.
Therefore, Sonos had no choice but to release an official app as there
is no 3rd party support whatsoever. On the other hand, a good amount
of "official" features you see in SqueezeCenter originally came from
the open source community.

mortslim;360309 Wrote:
> 2. I look forward to the iPeng entry as that developer has contributed
> a lot to these forums.

Yes I'm pretty excited about that too. As a first release, I'm hoping
Pippin's app steps up and fills in the features and performance where
Squidgy is lacking.

mortslim;360309 Wrote:
> 3. I would like a clarification of the abilities of the new app which
> is the subject of this thread - squidgy. Does it interface with the
> Squeezenetwork or only SqueezeCenter? I don't use SqueezeCenter - I
> don't like my computer on if I am not actually using it for other tasks
> when I am listening to music. I rely solely on Squeezenetwork with
> Rhapsody and the other music services. Thus, my question is whether
> squidgy works with the squeezenetwork or does your computer also have
> to be on with squeezecenter running?

Yeah unfortunately neither Squidgy nor Pippin's iPeng interface with
SqueezeNetwork. You can control your SN stations and services through
both of them though (Squidgy doesn't let you approve/reject Pandora
songs in the first release) if you are connected to SqueezeCenter, but
if you do not run that then neither of these apps will function for
you.

Cheers!

pippin
2008-11-15 22:53:56 UTC
EnochLight;360340 Wrote:

> You can control your SN stations and services through both of them
> though (Squidgy doesn't let you approve/reject Pandora songs in the
> first release) if you are connected to SqueezeCenter, but if you do not
> run that then neither of these apps will function for you.

Puh, now you REALLY make he hope this approve/reject thing works :-)
I DID implement it and I do know that it DOES work for Last.fm, but I
can't test Pandora over here in Europe.
But then almost half of my beta testers are from the US, hopefully one
would have complained if it didn't. Also, there's probably not that
much to go wrong if the other stuff works (Last.fm, Alien)

--
pippin

---
see iPeng at penguinlovesmusic.com
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=55073
EnochLight
2008-11-16 02:09:08 UTC
pippin;360344 Wrote:
> I DID implement it and I do know that it DOES work for Last.fm, but I
> can't test Pandora over here in Europe. But then almost half of my
> beta testers are from the US, hopefully one would have complained if it
> didn't. Also, there's probably not that much to go wrong if the other
> stuff works (Last.fm, Alien)

That's awesome news; can't wait to buy your app!

socistep
2008-11-14 22:57:42 UTC
EnochLight;360082 Wrote:
> D'oh! I should have finished reading this thread before plunking down
> my $7.99 USD to buy this 5 minutes ago. :-( Controlling Rhapsody is
> paramount for my use.
>

> I just bought it but won't get to try it out until I get home later
> tonight (gotta' go have some prime rib, Pinot Noire, and watch Quantum
> of Solace first)! ;-) Will report my results after.
>

> Eeeewwww.... wow - that's a huge deal breaker for me. Now I wish I
> hadn't plunked down my $7.99 USD for this version.
>
> That said, everyone needs to post some official reviews on the iTunes
> App Store to get a realistic rating going.
>
> iPeng can't come soon enough...

At least give it a chance....I doubt any of the 3 apps will initially
meet everyone's requirements and we'll all have different opinions on
which is best etc.....either way it is exciting times for anyone who
owns SB kit and an iPhone and gives us a new way to interact with our
kit.

I'm staying open minded on all 3 apps and have no problem in purchasing
all 3 until I make a decision on which one is best....how much did that
wine & ribs cost ? ;-)

--
socistep
socistep's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=18860
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=55073
sprutzle
2008-11-14 23:25:27 UTC
Hi,

i figured out how to change the http port (not that easy, because the
'number block' doesn't include a return button, so back to ip address
of the server and there i go) so the app doesn't crash when started.
But i have problems with repeating crashes during browsing and
'umlaute' (german) as äüö are not displayed correct (tried UTF8 and
AUTO on a SC 7.3). I get connection lost quite often when starting the
program and when i reconnect i always get back to the SBR even when i
connected to the BOOM before. Performance is OK but not very much ahead
of the controller. So for me the software is pretty much BETA. Maybe it
runs better for someone else. Oh and scanning of the database takes
some time (14000 songs take about 20 minutes).

sprutzle

--
sprutzle
sprutzle's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=20152
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=55073
Caad
2008-11-14 21:35:36 UTC
This is my first impression of the Squidgy remote SW for ipod Touch.

My setup:SQ3.
mac mini, 1,8GHz 320GB/7200 HDD, 2GB Ram, OSX 10.4, Slimcenter 7.2.1

The SW is very easy to setup and getting running. It detects the server
IP. You only have to connect this IP and then do a libary scan. I have
around 1000 CDs and setup and Lib scan takes max 5min. Nice job!!!
The SW reacts very fast compaired with the safari browsed IPENG.
Actually just as fast as the Apple Remote SW. This makes the SW very
usefull to use.. :-)
But.. There is No folder search in the menu. It is only possible to
search on "artist, Album, genres.
also when playing a song from an album and wish to return to the album.
This is not possible. you can only push two bottoms. "playlist" and
"done". if you push "playlist" a playlist will show up. It is not
possible to choose an other song from this list.. If you push "done"
the you will be rolled back to the "startmenu" Here you then have to
find the album again etc..

An other bad thing is the Volume control. This is placed so you only
can control if you push on the top of the screen. the Volumecontrol
will show up. The volume control is also very sensetive and to close to
the "Off" button, that shots my SQ3 down. The menu does not allow you to
use Squeeze network.
Conclusion: I like the Gui expect for the problems above. IPENG has
these features included but the safari based GUI is to slow.

robroe
2008-11-14 22:19:22 UTC
Caad;360092 Wrote:
> IPENG has these features included but the safari based GUI is to slow.

I guess that's why a native app is in the works :)

--
robroe
robroe's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=14248
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=55073
CodeMonkey
2008-11-14 20:45:36 UTC
hope this helps. You should then be able to update your port settings

socistep
2008-11-14 18:30:21 UTC
Hi All,

Just quick from me as I have to shoot to the girlfriends place and I'm
late :-) I probably haven't looked at all the functionality

Music scan

Takes a bit of time but not too bad, I noticed from the first scan that
some of my most recent added albums weren't there but Squidgy popped up
with a message saying it was out of date and they came up on a re-scan,
a minor irritant

Browsing

There is a slight lag in loading album artwork but generally it is
quick and the artwork looks good

Main Menu

I like this, gives all the options in a similar set-up to the
controller, its great to see some of the iPhone features being able to
be used on a SB set-up such as the scrolling and use of touch keyboard
on a search.

-Albums
Not so sure on the horizontal album view, looks very cluttered to me
and I would stick to the vertical view, however I do like clicking on
the album and the tracks coming up similar to how the iPod works. Not
sure why this doesn't do this on the vertical view ?
-Artists
Seems to be some differences to the SB set-up in terms of Various
Artists being under 'V' as opposed to the top and also if an artist is
in a compilation that album is included under the artist, would be good
to configure that
- Internet Audio
Looks good, haven't really had much of a play but noticed that there
isn't an entry for my favourites

Now Playing/Playlist

I actually like this and the way it looks, I like the way that
playlists can be viewed and managed and this IMO is easier then on the
controller

Summary

>From first impression its looks good and is the kind of app I was
hoping we would get for the iPhone, I will be interested to see how it
compares to the other 2 and will no doubt purchase all 3 then make a
final decision - As I mentioned I've only had a quick look and haven't
tried it over a longer period so will send some further thoughts
through.

Best go, the Dog is getting ready to eat my tea...

Cheers
Ian

robroe
2008-11-14 18:05:48 UTC
Looks interesting. The landscape album art view looks cool. As others
have commented the now playing looks the weakest area, but without
using it I can't comment too much.

Can't wait until the 3 versions are out so I can compare them. Are
there any plans from any of the developers to release cut down versions
for evaluation purposes, maybe only allowing access to a portion of the
library or similar?

Borgen
2008-11-14 18:50:26 UTC
CodeMonkey;359984 Wrote:
> try a refresh database in settings. If this doesn't work post your
> server os
> and squeezecenter version

Cant access settings, the App crashes at once as I select a item in the
menu

Borgen
2008-11-14 18:57:59 UTC
SqueezeCenter running on a QNAP 509 NAS.

The HTTP port for this is 9001 and not 9000.

After Changin the HTTP Port to 9001 in the server setting after
reinstalling the APP everything now works.

Album arts is displayed and the App does not crash anymore!!!!!!

pippin
2008-11-14 19:00:37 UTC
Didn't you say you beta tested this?

I cannot connect to any of my servers, it detects them but the crashes
when I select them.

--
pippin

---
see iPeng at penguinlovesmusic.com
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=55073
sprutzle
2008-11-14 19:05:55 UTC
... after the library scan. Restart of my touch helped nothing. As soon
as i open the app it crashes after it has detected my server (Thecus
5200pro with a 7.3 SC mod -> maybe that is the problem).

sprutzle

brillo
2008-11-14 19:29:42 UTC
Very slick! I love it!

Great work.

Speed/responsiveness is phenomenal.

--
brillo
brillo's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=1601
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=55073
Borgen
2008-11-14 19:42:43 UTC
sprutzle;360023 Wrote:
> ... after the library scan. Restart of my touch helped nothing. As soon
> as i open the app it crashes after it has detected my server (Thecus
> 5200pro with a 7.3 SC mod -> maybe that is the problem).
>
> sprutzle

had the same issue, check the http port setting so that it matches your
squeezecenter. Changes my from 9000 to 9001

idowantapickle
2008-11-14 20:02:45 UTC
Some settings to check if you are having problems are tucked away under
'Advanced' in the server settings screen.

It appears that some of the NAS builds use a different HTTP port by
default, so please check this and the CLI port if you are having
problems connecting.

If you have problems scanning, try setting the 'charset' value to utf8
and see if that helps. This shouldn't be needed on recent 7.3 server
builds.

Support email address is "squidgy AT emccsoft DOT com", please email
problems to us as well as posting them here, then we can track them
better.

Borgen
2008-11-14 18:49:09 UTC
Luke Redpath;359978 Wrote:
> Borgen: does SqueezeCenter show your album art?

Yes I can see the AlbumArt there and also on the iPhone if running
iPeng web version

munkivelli
2008-11-14 18:25:05 UTC
Does Squidgy support Rhapsody? I didn't see it listed under the Music
Services on the screenshots, unless that list scrolls down some more.

--
munkivelli
munkivelli's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=20689
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=55073
idowantapickle
2008-11-14 18:34:10 UTC
munkivelli;360005 Wrote:
> Does Squidgy support Rhapsody?

Rhapsody isn't available in the UK as far as I know, so we've not been
able to test it. Having said that, all the services that we have tested
with (eg Last.FM, Live music archive) and the radio streams etc all
work, so as long as the server returns the same format data for
Rhapsody I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

Having said that, I wouldn't purchase the app solely for Rhapsody

munkivelli
2008-11-14 18:35:17 UTC
idowantapickle;360008 Wrote:
> Rhapsody isn't available in the UK as far as I know, so we've not been
> able to test it. Having said that, all the services that we have tested
> with (eg Last.FM, Live music archive) and the radio streams etc all
> work, so as long as the server returns the same format data for
> Rhapsody I see no reason why it wouldn't work.
>
> Having said that, I wouldn't purchase the app solely for Rhapsody
> support until we get some feedback from users in the US who can access
> it.

Is the untested support for Rhapsody built into the software though?

Scott
2008-11-14 20:26:04 UTC
I have been playing with it for a few hours.

SS 7.2
os x 10.4
5 players

Good:
Responsive, fairly intuitive.
Album art, volume, shuffle, repeat all work well.
Basic functioning works very well... overall much more responsive than
web based ipeng, isqueeze, etc.

Bad:
No last.fm, pandora controls for love/skip/hate.
Can't skip beyond one song at a time on the playlist.
No sync.
Slow/ troublesome interaction with internet radio streaming

Ugly:
Defaults to same player every time on startup... Even if you don't want
it to.
Crashes every so often... not completely stable.
Database status updating is quite slow (I have 10k songs)

Overall, nice first version. Will be competitive amongst our 3 (or
more?) choices for iphone based remotes.

Best,
Scott

--
Scott
Scott's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=229
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=55073
MillmoorRon
2008-11-19 18:51:24 UTC
Are upgrades free if I buy v1.0?

--
MillmoorRon
MillmoorRon's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=6413
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=55073
Luke Redpath
2008-11-14 14:12:03 UTC
idowantapickle: how long did it take for your app to be approved? I
wonder if they go to the extent of setting up a SqueezeCenter
installation and using SoftSqueeze to test it (seems unlikely but how
else would they test it?).

CodeMonkey
2008-11-14 14:23:24 UTC
...so your feature requests are very much appreciated..

idowantapickle
2008-11-14 14:50:11 UTC
Luke Redpath;359914 Wrote:
> idowantapickle: how long did it take for your app to be approved? I
> wonder if they go to the extent of setting up a SqueezeCenter
> installation and using SoftSqueeze to test it (seems unlikely but how
> else would they test it?).

We submitted the app on monday so ~5 days. No idea if they tested it
against a live server or not.

Oh, and we're not storing the whole library - just the album, artist
and genre data and artwork thumbnails.

Scott
2008-11-14 15:11:20 UTC
Can you make/post a lite version, with limited features, for us to try
so we can best decide between your app, ipeng or "isqueeze"?

best,

scott

danny041
2008-11-14 15:40:50 UTC
Ok, bought it and tried it. Just so you don't think I am posting as a
bought fanboi or anything for the app or for some of the other apps
competing: I am not.

First impression. Easy to set up, with autosearch it finds the player
and you are alive and kickin in a couple of minutes after the app has
scanned your library.

The interface works really quick and it is actually a Major difference
compared to iPeng's web-interface. For me, this is The Major Thing for
using a 3rd party remote like the iphone. I think this is the case for
most of us out there longing for the iphone to be utilized as the best
remote imaginable for the squeezebox.

With this said, and expected from my side, I don't really like the "Now
playing" interface. First of all i don't like that the controls and
elapsed time is constantly there. My personal view is that the more
similar you can make it to the Itunes interface, the more natural and
user friendly it would be to use the app. My intuitive approach is
trying to sweep the cover to left or right to get to different menues
and trying to tap the screen to invoke/remove the control buttons etc.
Now neither of this works, rather i have to push the playlist or tap
the screen to get a rather "not so useful" menu as a pop-down. I also
would like to be able to forward/rewind on the time-progress-bar for
the song in the same way i can increase/decrease the volume by dragging
the volume bar left/right.

I would also like the multiplayer approach to be improved. As far as i
understand this function is not available? I would like to check the
squeezeboxes i want to see simultaneously controls for. (if i for
example have 5 SB's i would like to be able to check/uncheck some of
them to have control over the ones i choose simultaneously). Actually,
when looking around i don't find any setting for synchronizing players
at all, but i have only used the program for 15 mins now so don't take
my points as some kind of 100% accurate judgement.

This was my initial thoughts after short usage of the program. The more
i think of it, the more two points pop up as the most important onces.
Quick navigation and response, which this app is doing great so far.
The other thing is quick and easy support for navigating/synchronizing
multiple squeezeboxes. So far I don't see/understand how this is done
in this app.

munkivelli
2008-11-16 08:03:48 UTC
I bought the app and have tried it out. My uses for my Squeezebox are
almost exclusively Internet Radio and Rhapsody. I don't really stream
much music from my computer's hard drive, so I didn't even bother to
upload my library to Squidgy. This is great for the Internet Radio
browsing and Rhapsody integration. All the features I need are
essentially here, but I ran into these bugs/feature requests, which
hopefully can be looked into for the next update. If any of these have
been addressed already, please ignore, since I didn't take the time to
read this entire thread.:)

1. It would be cool if we could disable automatic checks to see if the
database is up to date every time Squidgy connects to the server.

2. Hitting the Done button from the Now Playing screen takes you back
to the main menu instead of the page you were last on when you went to
the Now Playing screen. A back button would be a nice feature, so if I
am adding songs to my playlist from Rhapsody, for example, and I want to
go to the Now Playing screen to adjust the volume. I adjust the volume,
and press Done and i'm dumped back to the main menu instead of the
Rhapsody menu. I'm not sure how easy this is to do from a programming
standpoint, but it would add a lot of convenience to the program.

3. Favorites don't get imported from Squeezecenter. This would be an
excellent thing to add. I keep a lot of my favorite radio stations
bookmarked in Favorites.

4. The Search function crashes the app every time I use it. Not a
dealbreaker for me since I never really used it, but I happened to try
it for grins and it didn't want to play nice.

That's all I've come up with so far, but overall, I'm quite pleased
with what's here.:)

munkivelli
2008-11-16 15:29:08 UTC
EnochLight;360489 Wrote:
> Just curious - was this when you were trying to search Rhapsody or your
> local library? If not Rhapsody, did you ever let Squidgy scan your
> local library at all?
>
> I have no idea if the two are related; just curious!

just the local library search. the search in Rhapsody worked just
fine.

socistep
2008-11-16 19:09:52 UTC
Evening All,

1. This has already been covered but one of the limitations was the
inability not to be able to control SN via Squidgy, I use SN a lot
especially in the morning etc. when I don't have time to power on my
laptop. Reading the thread it sounds like this is a limitation also of
iPeng...maybe I should speed up getting that NAS..

2. Found some quirks with the app, everytime I launch it is says the
database is out of date and needs refreshed, despite not adding any new
music - think others have found this. Following that I have found
occasions where my collection is out of sync, the attached images show
the 'New Music' section from the Main Menu, the top item should be 'The
Stills' but is picking up another album, I also seem to lose the
'Artists' & 'Genre's' entrys from the main menu from time to time.

A refresh seems to sort this out but there seems to be something wrong
if it is asking to refresh everytime

|Filename: squidgy5.jpg |
|Download: http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6261|

pippin
2008-11-16 19:16:51 UTC
socistep;360560 Wrote:

> 1. This has already been covered but one of the limitations was the
> inability not to be able to control SN via Squidgy, I use SN a lot
> especially in the morning etc. when I don't have time to power on my
> laptop. Reading the thread it sounds like this is a limitation also of
> iPeng...

No, it's neither an iPeng nor a Squidgy limitation, it's currently a SN
limitation.

--
pippin

---
see iPeng at penguinlovesmusic.com
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=55073
socistep
2008-11-16 20:29:09 UTC
pippin;360564 Wrote:
> No, it's neither an iPeng nor a Squidgy limitation, it's currently a SN
> limitation.

Post duly edited :-)

Nonreality
2008-11-17 11:12:03 UTC
munkivelli;360414 Wrote:
> I bought the app and have tried it out. My uses for my Squeezebox are
> almost exclusively Internet Radio and Rhapsody. I don't really stream
> much music from my computer's hard drive, so I didn't even bother to
> upload my library to Squidgy. This is great for the Internet Radio
> browsing and Rhapsody integration. All the features I need are
> essentially here, but I ran into these bugs/feature requests, which
> hopefully can be looked into for the next update. If any of these have
> been addressed already, please ignore, since I didn't take the time to
> read this entire thread.:)
>
> 1. It would be cool if we could disable automatic checks to see if the
> database is up to date every time Squidgy connects to the server.
>
> 2. Hitting the Done button from the Now Playing screen takes you back
> to the main menu instead of the page you were last on when you went to
> the Now Playing screen. A back button would be a nice feature, so if I
> am adding songs to my playlist from Rhapsody, for example, and I want to
> go to the Now Playing screen to adjust the volume. I adjust the volume,
> and press Done and i'm dumped back to the main menu instead of the
> Rhapsody menu. I'm not sure how easy this is to do from a programming
> standpoint, but it would add a lot of convenience to the program.
>
> 3. Favorites don't get imported from Squeezecenter. This would be an
> excellent thing to add. I keep a lot of my favorite radio stations
> bookmarked in Favorites.
>
> 4. The Search function crashes the app every time I use it. Not a
> dealbreaker for me since I never really used it, but I happened to try
> it for grins and it didn't want to play nice.
>
> That's all I've come up with so far, but overall, I'm quite pleased
> with what's here.:)

So favorites don't work on it? I was about to download it but that's a
deal breaker for me right now as that's the only way to access XM
stations. I guess I'll wait a bit for an update or Pippens to come
out. I plan on buying Pippens regardless but thought I'd try this one
in the mean time.

--
Nonreality

-IF THE RULE YOU FOLLOWED BROUGHT YOU TO THIS, OF WHAT USE IS THE RULE.-

HTTP://www.last.fm/user/nonreality
Nonreality's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=15723
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=55073
socistep
2008-11-17 12:11:00 UTC
Nonreality;360726 Wrote:
> So favorites don't work on it? I was about to download it but that's a
> deal breaker for me right now as that's the only way to access XM
> stations. I guess I'll wait a bit for an update or Pippens to come
> out. I plan on buying Pippens regardless but thought I'd try this one
> in the mean time.

Correct, I couldn't find any link to my favourites from the main menu

atlslim
2008-11-17 13:57:46 UTC
Nonreality;360726 Wrote:
> So favorites don't work on it? I was about to download it but that's a
> deal breaker for me

Same here - my SC 'home page' is Favorites list

--
atlslim
atlslim's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=3054
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=55073
CodeMonkey
2008-11-16 21:27:14 UTC
bug fixes:

Automatic auto-lock
Incorrect Http port crash
Large database scan crash
Volume control moved
Resuming failed database scan
Saved player preference
Server authentication
Incomplete scan search crash

Phew it's been a busy weekend. Now I can sleep ;-)

So stand by for the update guys

EnochLight
2008-11-16 21:36:20 UTC
CodeMonkey;360590 Wrote:
> bug fixes:
>
> Automatic auto-lock
> Incorrect Http port crash
> Large database scan crash
> Volume control moved
> Resuming failed database scan
> Saved player preference
> Server authentication
> Incomplete scan search crash
>
> Phew it's been a busy weekend. Now I can sleep ;-)
>
> So stand by for the update guys

Hey thanks - it's nice to see a fix release coming out so soon. That
said, is there a way to stop Squidgy from asking for a rescan when the
library hasn't changed?

Cheers!

probedb
2008-11-19 14:49:47 UTC
EnochLight;360592 Wrote:
> Hey thanks - it's nice to see a fix release coming out so soon. That
> said, is there a way to stop Squidgy from asking for a rescan when the
> library hasn't changed?
>
> Cheers!

I've just bought and will setup at home, but I would like to know when
you're going to allow it to stop automatically asking for a rescan...SC
would get pretty annoying if it asked this everytime you used it ;)

--
probedb

Paul.

'last.fm' (http://www.last.fm/user/probedb)
probedb's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=7825
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=55073
amcluesent
2008-11-19 15:43:03 UTC
Doh! Still no updated version on the AppStore...

idowantapickle
2008-11-19 15:55:30 UTC
amcluesent;361465 Wrote:
> Doh! Still no updated version on the AppStore...

It was submitted on monday so should be up there fairly soon we hope.
The scan has been stress tested against a library of 2700+ artists,
7300+ albums, 73 genres so should work fine with your library.

Theres also a fix in for the people who keep getting out of date
database messages. We've not been able to recreate this here but have
made a change to the logic that should be more robust. There is also
the option to turn this off now if required.

probedb
2008-11-19 18:04:24 UTC
OK I can see where to change the HTTP port but how do I get rid of the
keypad??

I can't actually make it connect with these settings, hitting any other
option loses the port number???

sprutzle
2008-11-19 19:00:01 UTC
probedb;361510 Wrote:
> OK I can see where to change the HTTP port but how do I get rid of the
> keypad??
>
> I can't actually make it connect with these settings, hitting any other
> option loses the port number???

I explained it here:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=360121&postcount=56

regards sprutzle

probedb
2008-11-19 19:08:05 UTC
sprutzle;361531 Wrote:
> I explained it here:
>
> http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=360121&postcount=56
>
> regards sprutzle

Cheers! Server status message is a bit misleading as it says Connecting
when it's actually connected and is updating the database. Oh
well....30K+ songs might take a while :)

probedb
2008-11-20 12:47:29 UTC
OK I'm going to have to class this as a bit crap. It keeps crashing out
when updating the database and has never managed to get even half way
through the albums (or artists whichever is first). A fiver wasted in
all fairness.

Duane Byram
2008-11-20 17:07:34 UTC
> From: probedb <probedb.3j6cpb1227185401-NUepA2SMhDQqspMVqqL2D+4xXEVPTSb/***@public.gmane.org>
> Date: November 20, 2008 4:47:29 AM PST
> To: discuss-***@public.gmane.org
> Subject: Re: [slim] Squidgy for iPhone now available in Apple App
> Store
>

> OK I'm going to have to class this as a bit crap. It keeps crashing
> out
> when updating the database and has never managed to get even half way
> through the albums (or artists whichever is first). A fiver wasted in
> all fairness.
>

> --
> probedb
>
> Paul.

FWIW, I had the same crashing problem with version 1.0. It may have
been related to having a large library to scan. But that seems to have
been taken care of in version 1.1 (I tested out some development
builds after reporting the problem). According to the iTunes Music
Store version 1.1 has been submitted, so you may want to try again
once that is available.

- duano

ps - I'm not affiliated with Squidgy in anyway. I was just impressed
with their quick response to the reported problems.
Steve Agnew
2008-11-20 19:12:45 UTC
I have been having intermittent problems accessing my wireless network
with an early iPod Touch which seemed a bit weird as it worked OK on an
iPhone. My router is a Linksys WAG160N. After several wipe/restore
cycles with no joy I have changed the wireless security setting from
WPA2-Personal to WPA-Personal and the connection problems have gone
away. Just another thing to check if you are having connection issues.

Steve.

--
Steve Agnew
Steve Agnew's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=840
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=55073
idowantapickle
2008-11-20 20:51:29 UTC
Looks like 1.1 is now on the app store. At the moment I would recommend
uninstalling any previous version before the upgrade, especially if you
had problems scanning in 1.0.

Saying that, theres no reason why a straight update would cause
problems if you have a full database on your device.

This should hopefully fix problems a couple of people have had with
large libraries and server authentication, as well as a few things
people have requested over the last week.

Let us know how you get on, any problems please let us know at
squidgy-***@public.gmane.org

Cheers

Scott
2008-11-20 21:42:33 UTC
Nice work, team.
Good improvements.

I'd like to see:
Add playlists to artist/album/etc
Podcast access
More pandora and last.fm functions (Love/hate/ban)
Select any song in current playlist to play immediately (rather than
fast forwarding 16 songs, for instance)

Otherwise, nice 1.1 version.

Best,

Scott

sprutzle
2008-11-20 22:06:57 UTC
... still crashes every time a scroll through my "new music" category
after some time. I did not make any more tests in other categories
until now. It is overall still slower than my controller (annoying
"reading database" message blocks the app). It once didn't find my
server (wlan signal was very good). I think i will wait for pippin's
app instead of spending more time in testing.

best regards
sprutzle