[slim] The future of Squeezebox
BobHy
2015-09-21 21:47:58 UTC
Its been a few years now since Logitech abandoned Squeezebox. So, who is
keeping things running? I understand that we can always operate our
systems with LMS, but on its own, without mysqueezebox.com it would only
be useful for local music libraries. My system is controlled by an an
ancient laptop, now dedicated as a server for Squeezebox. Michael in
Switzerland seems to be much involved, but is this as a volunteer?

Personally, I love the system. I have 3 Booms, 3 Radios, and 1 Touch.
During the day, I listen to various radio stations that would not be
reliably available over the air, and to my music library; the Squeezebox
system is marvelous at making it easy to do.

BobHy's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=62687
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=104336
toby10
2015-09-22 11:00:41 UTC
Later versions of LMS do not require even the existance of MySB.com for
basic internet radio streaming. But most services/apps will not
function even with LMS when this happens.

Micheal is still a Logitech employee (afaik), likely programming for
other non-SB Logitech devices and keeping MySB.com/UE online/LMS/UE
Library running.

toby10's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=12553
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=104336
Ikabob
2015-09-23 12:49:25 UTC
Just as an option, I have been looking at the Sonos system. I love the
SBs so I do not want to change. The SB sound quality is so excellent. I
was wondering how the Sonos SQ compares? Thank you.

Ikabob

Squeezebox Touch w/LMS V7.7.3; Benchmark DAC1 USB;Marantz Pre-amp; SAE
Amplifier;ESS Heil Speakers(main listening speakers plus various
additional speakers).
Multiple players: SqueezeBooms,SqueezeRadios; SB3;
Services:Rhapsody;Slacker;RadioTunes;Spotify (+Triode's Plugin)
Sirius.com;CalmRadio
Ipeng remote controller.
Ikabob's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=32088
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=104336
usc95
2015-09-23 16:40:01 UTC
Sonos is just too expensive to me to even bother with. After building
players for under $100 out of Raspberry Pi's and hacked pogoplugs I am
going to have a hard time paying $350 for a single Sonos Connect. I am
hopeful that Google's rumored Google Cast for audio players comes to
fruition and they provide a good cheap solution for the music services
that we will be losing when mysqueezebox.com is finally shut down.

usc95's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=59694
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=104336
wortgefecht
2015-09-23 17:45:06 UTC
Post by usc95
and hacked pogoplugs
Please explain :) I have one of those still standing around somewhere.

New setup:

- ASRock Ion 330, Lubuntu 14.04, LMS 7.9, FLAC
- *Duet* > AKG Hearo 888 Titan (home office), *Boom + Canton ASF 75
SC* (master bedroom), *Boom* (master bathroom), *Radio* (guest
bathroom), *RPi + KODI 15 + XSqueeze* > Samsung UE60H6270 > Denon
AVR-770SD > Mission 2.1 speakers (living room)
- *Classic* > Parasound DAC 1500 > vintage Wega Modul 42V amp (42E
equalizer, 42T tape deck + Thorens TD 160 Mk II turntable) > Quadral
Vulkan Mk II (music room)
wortgefecht's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=63295
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=104336
usc95
2015-09-23 18:23:55 UTC
This site has all the details:
http://vortexbox.org/special/news/documentation/50525-Building-the-VAMP

I believe you need the older E02 model to make it work. I have one with
a cheap Muse DAC in my office that I listen to daily. This whole setup
cost me a whopping $40 so you can see why I am in no hurry to pony up
for a Sonos.

usc95
2015-09-23 18:31:26 UTC
I just noticed that the links on that page are dead. I know that
vortexbox.org got hacked a while back and a lot of the content got
screwed up but this one should help:
http://vortexbox.org/forum/vortexbox/general/51048-looking-for-vamp-iso

You may want to head over there for help from the guys that created the
thing.

wortgefecht
2015-09-23 19:24:56 UTC
Post by usc95
I just noticed that the links on that page are dead. I know that
vortexbox.org got hacked a while back and a lot of the content got
http://vortexbox.org/forum/vortexbox/general/51048-looking-for-vamp-iso
You may want to head over there for help from the guys that created the
thing.
Thanks! This looks interesting. I'll give it a try this weekend or so :)
Not that I'm in need of more players now, but why not, since I don't
need the Pogoplug anymore.

Apesbrain
2015-09-23 22:33:42 UTC
Post by Ikabob
Just as an option, I have been looking at the Sonos system. I love the
SBs so I do not want to change. The SB sound quality is so excellent. I
was wondering how the Sonos SQ compares? Thank you.
Provided you are routing the data from a Sonos Connect to an external
DAC such as your Benchmark there should be no difference in sound
quality via your hifi. I'd say the Sonos Play:1 compares favorably
soundwise to a Squeezebox Radio. I've heard the Play:1 and it sounded
pretty good for a little box. Like the Radio you can do two of them in
stereo configuration. The bigger units get pricey but they do promise
better sound. The Play:5 is quite a bit larger than a Boom and should
move a lot of air. If it matters to you, I don't believe Sonos supports
hi-res files (anything over 16/44). In short, there is nothing Sonos
can do that your Squeezebox system can't do so long as we still have
access to music services such as Rhapsody.
Post by Ikabob
Sonos is just too expensive to me to even bother with. After building
players for under $100 out of Raspberry Pi's and hacked pogoplugs I am
going to have a hard time paying $350 for a single Sonos Connect.
To be fair about the cost, when you buy most Sonos units you are buying
a self-contained playback device (streamer, DAC, amplifier, speaker) not
just a streamer as is the case with RPi/PogoPlug/etc. You are right
that the Connect hifi interface is overpriced at $349. There is no
equivalent in the closed Sonos universe for Squeezelite which allows
simple devices like a RPi or Android mini-pc to serve as a cheap
streamer.

Apesbrain's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=738
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=104336
Ikabob

doctor_big
2015-09-25 12:05:41 UTC
Sonos is also limited by library size. Something like 40k tracks
depending on some variables

doctor_big's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=15196
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=104336
esa
2015-10-03 08:18:18 UTC
When I was searching for a system to waikup in the morning with the NEXT
song of my playlist, then I was surprised that SONOS can't do this
simple thing.
With LMS, it is even better than a simple playlist. You can use dynamic
playlist!
You can plus with query, add plugins...
Sonos can do what LMS does, but the opposite is true if you connect a
good power amplifier to it.
Why Logitech stopped the dev? Maybe it wasn't enough profitable compared
to other products in their list.

Sent from my A1-810 using Tapatalk

ASUS S1 D525 ATOM with 2GB on Linux Gentoo i686-linux
Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.0 (Previous Version : 7.7.3 - 7.5.5 -
r32671)
Perl Version: 5.18.2 - i686-linux-thread-multi
Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.34_01 (sqlite 3.7.7.1) (Previously :
MySQL : 5.1.70)
1 x Squeezebox Touch : 7.5.1-r9009 + 1 x Squeezebox Boom + 1 x
Squeezebox Receiver
Squeeze Lite on Raspberry
SqueezeCommander (0.9.6.1) on ACER A1-810
esa's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=9362
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=104336
erland
2015-10-03 09:27:01 UTC
I understand that we can always operate our systems with LMS, but on its
own, without mysqueezebox.com it would only be useful for local music
libraries.
One of the intentions with ickStream Music Platform is to make online
streaming services work on Squeezebox with LMS without
mysqueezebox.com.
It's currently available as a public beta for Squeezebox users:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?102497-Announcement-ickStream-open-beta-release-on-Squeezebox-!

LEAD PLATFORM DEVELOPER OF 'ICKSTREAM MUSIC PLATFORM'
(HTTP://WWW.ICKSTREAM.COM) - A WORLD OF MUSIC AT YOUR FINGERTIPS

(Also developer of 'many plugins/applets (both free and commercial)'
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/User:Erland). If you like to
encourage future presence on this forum and/or third party plugin/applet
development, 'consider purchasing some plugins'
(http://license.isaksson.info))
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=104336
CommanderROR
2015-10-04 09:14:50 UTC
@erland
I really hope you succeed! If you can bring the popular streaming
services back to LMS/Squeezebox, then this system might just make it
back into the limelight.

You'll need a bigger dev team though, and some kind of way to make money
out of it...

CommanderROR's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=59408
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=104336